Does Compression Effect Video Quality

vbimport

Some of my videos exceed 4.4G so I use shrink to fit onto a single layered DVD. I use automotic compression… If the DVD fiels is larger than 4.4G does the compression effect the image at all… I watch it on a 1080I TV

thank you

What program are you using to do the compression??? Also this is dvdfab forum you might want to post this where they talk about dvd shrink.

Yes, it will effect the image quality. The compression reduces the video bitrate. I watch mine with a DVD player that upscales the images to 1080i, and they look pretty good to about 85%. Above 95% I can’t see the difference. The paid version of DVDFab will compress and burn the discs. If you want to discuss DVDShrink, as coolcolors said, you can find many forums that are not product specific (as this one is) to discuss it.

Someone must have moved this thread…now in the general Copy Movie section. Compression will effect quality as the others have said kenshireen, and some types of programs are better than others when there is a lot of compression to be applied.

If you only need a small amount, a transcoder like DVDShrink or DVDFab or Nero Recode is usually fine. If you need a lot of compression to fit onto a single layer dvd, I suggest using DVDRebuilder and the HC encoder. There is a free version available

The biggest downside to using encoders like HC is the fact that it will take longer.

[quote=Kerry56;2175050]Someone must have moved this thread…now in the general Copy Movie section. Compression will effect quality as the others have said kenshireen, and some types of programs are better than others when there is a lot of compression to be applied.

If you only need a small amount, a transcoder like DVDShrink or DVDFab or Nero Recode is usually fine. If you need a lot of compression to fit onto a single layer dvd, I suggest using DVDRebuilder and the HC encoder. There is a free version available

The biggest downside to using encoders like HC is the fact that it will take longer.[/quote]

Thank you Kerry… I know this is a DVDFAB forum but I use both DVD shrink and the free version of Fab. Let me ask one addition question…
I am trying to learn.

I was using DVD shrink and selected “main movie”…size was 3.3G… I deselected all the audio except for English which was .4G.
I chose “no compression” since the total of the above was about 3.8.
When I hit the “backup button” I got a message that I needed to use compression otherwise the file would be too large to burn onto a single DVD. Even after compression it indicated space required 4.464M

Now, I am an accountant… and I know that 3.3 and .4 is less than 4.7
So please tell me why would I need to compress and where doe the 4.464M come from… No subtitles and only main movie

thank you
Kenhireen

you did these steps in dvdshrinks’ re-author mode or just from the main frame?

just from the main frame… I have never used reauthor mode… not familiar with it.

Ken

re-author is how you customize your movie…that is where you need to go to keep the main movie only
click on the re-author tab, look for the main movie “title” and double click on that…it will appear in the window to the left…then click on the compression settings tab above and you can see the compression needed to put the main movie on a sl disk…you can also eliminate any languages and such

[quote=beachbumm;2180421]re-author is how you customize your movie…that is where you need to go to keep the main movie only
click on the re-author tab, look for the main movie “title” and double click on that…it will appear in the window to the left…then click on the compression settings tab above and you can see the compression needed to put the main movie on a sl disk…you can also eliminate any languages and such[/quote]

Why is it that you have a choice to select main movie on the first frame without having to go into re-author… When I select “main movie” on the first screen how is that different from selecting main movie on the "re-author screen.

Also when I take the same dvd and use DVDFAb (free version) and select main movie it gets it all on DVD9 with a size of 4M

thank you
Ken

If you ever want to keep the whole Dvd & the menus are pretty big, there is also another handy tool out there called MenuShrink. This might help with Reauthor.

when you select the movie on the main frame, you’re just editing features such as language and sub pictures for compression of the entire dvd…you cant do main movie only unless you do it in reauthore mode.

check out this link, it has lots of fantastic tutorials and guides brought to you by the fantastic members here!!! http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/