Does Blank Media Deteriorate?

vbimport

I’ve been horrified by the “Data life” thread in this forum. It seems that all my burnt films and hours and weeks of work are crumbling to dust as the media rots and fails in a matter of months. Whats the point of it all? I’ve got things in my fridge that are better preserved.

Does blank media deteriorate? Should I be concerned about the “freshness” of my Verbatim disks?? Still don’t understand the difference between the disks I burn and the shop bought film DVD’s. Any explanation would be apreciated.

verbatim are usualy good quality but every few months scan them and see if their is any deterioration in them. Like the cheap and nasty silver unbranded 1x speed disc’s i bought i did a transfer speed test and saw the speed in the slow right down near the edge of the disc unreadable eror’s so reburning them

“Still don’t understand the difference between the disks I burn and the shop bought film DVD’s. Any explanation would be apreciated.”

The commercial dvd’s you buy are stamped and not burnt. The stamping process is much deeper than a burn and doesn’t use dye.

What “tigerman8u” said.

So a bought DVD stores the data using a “physical” method, while those that we burn are an organic dye/plastic sandwich. Like old rotting meat - they will deteriorate over time. It should be a long time, if they are made well.