Does Benq 1650 Burn cds okay?

My Lite-on 1693S produces audio cds that occasionally skip, and there seems to be a consensus that Lite-on DVD drives are poor CD writers. I might trash the Lite-on and buy something else. How well does the Benq 1650 perform as a CD writer?

(I’ve been burning at 32x on Verbatim CMC cd-r cds).

-Ted

Hi,

the 1650 is indeed a good CD-writer, at least with TY media. These don’t perform well with my Liteon drive (Xflashed Sony), as they broke someting in the firmware. But they are excellent, as they should be with my Benq :slight_smile:
If you want, have look at this thread here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=182063 there I compared some drives how they perform with quality CD-R media.

Michael

Also see http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=186983

I’m new to these forums and don’t yet follow the finer points, like reading these test results. I can see the different numbers, with greater errors for CMC, but how bad are the Verbatim CMC? Will I likely get as bad results with the CMCs on the BenQ, as I did on the Lite-on, with some skipping? Are you saying that only Taiyo Yuden cds should be used, ever? I just bought some more Verbatim cd-r at Officemax, $14.99 for 100. Are they a bad disc? Would you recommend returning them? Taiyo Yuden seem to be about $25 per 100 ordered online, counting shipping. It seems amazing that there are no decent cds one can buy, off-the-shelf. I thought Verbatim were supposed to be good.

Thanks for your help.

-Ted

For simplicity, lower errors mean better. :slight_smile:

For CD-R, you will get better result with TY, Ritek, MKM (Verbatim), and CMC, in that order generally. There are other CD-R manufacturer that produce less quality though. At any rate, I would say Verbatim CMC would be fine. If you don’t like the burns, you should be able to return it back to Officemax.

Thanks. But, using Smartburn, I’ve just found out that the Verbatims are Prodisc not CMC. How do Prodisc compare?

Hi,

Well, I just compared my Verbatim Pastell with Supermarket grade CMC discs. As you could see, the latter have 5 times higher error figures.

but how bad are the Verbatim CMC? Will I likely get as bad results with the CMCs on the BenQ, as I did on the Lite-on, with some skipping?
Let’s hope that Verbatim gets higher quality discs than Bestmedia (Platinum is one of their brands).
Are you saying that only Taiyo Yuden cds should be used, ever?
No. But TY are the best you can get.
I just bought some more Verbatim cd-r at Officemax, $14.99 for 100. Are they a bad disc? Would you recommend returning them?
I don’t think so. They are only not as brilliant as the Yudens
Taiyo Yuden seem to be about $25 per 100 ordered online, counting shipping.
That price is okay.
It seems amazing that there are no decent cds one can buy, off-the-shelf.
I bought the Verbatim Pastel at my local Staples :slight_smile:
I thought Verbatim were supposed to be good.
Verbatims are good media. But they have different sorts of discs in their portfolio. Pastell, Data Life Plus and standard discs. I just tried one of my Verbatim DLP@40x in my Benq - the results are similar to the CMC…
I’d say: Don’t worry. The Benq is really one of the best CD writers. Get it and see, how it works with your media.

Thanks for your help.

You’re welcome
Michael

The Princo seem decent

WIth my 1650, I get marginally better results with Verbatim (Mitsubishi) media than with TY media.

I would try burning at 16X for much better quality and no skipping. For an excellent cheap cdr, I always use Datawrite Titanium. I’ve used hundreds of these and they all burn well with no probs. Avoid Memorex and Ridisc.

Hi and welcome @CDF!

Hm. Possibly you have an excellent batch of Verbs, as it is the other way round with my writer;) At least @40x write speed. I didn’t yet look, what happened at lower speeds like 16x or 24x.

Michael

My BenQ 1650 ( BCFC ) loves MCC Verbatims and TYs. Verbatims, however, seems to be giving more consistent results.

I also get good results with low-cost media but at lower burning speed.