Does anyone know what the model numbers in a graphics card mean?

vbimport

Just what, exactly, do the model numbers on graphics cards mean? for example, geforce 6600gt or radeon hd3870. They make no sense to me, seems like higher or lower numbers are no indication of the power of the graphics card. (I know power is the wrong word, but I can’t think of another) I am trying to determine what card would be best for my hp6130f PC. Hoping to get StarCraft 2 Wings of Liberty and I am sure my integrated card won’t be up to it.

Whats up spacepope :slight_smile:

Yeah those are two different manufacturers so the model numbers are not comparable. They are also very old cards now (~5 years old or more) and will not play a modern game like starcraft 2 very well.

We can help you pick a card if you tell us how much your looking to spend. I can’t locate full specs on your PC but is it something like this “AMD Phenom X4 9750 Processor with 8GB & 750GB” ? if it is, it should have the x16 graphics slot and thats a good thing.

Thanks eric93se, that is exactly what I have, AMD quad4 9750 phenom, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Windows 7 64bit OS. I don’t need, nor can I afford a top of the line card, I am not a gamer. I thought I could find something between $50 and $100 that would serve my purpose. I don’t do any online gaming, but I would like the game to operate without slowing down like my Civilization 4 does now. I haven’t been able to sort out which card has better performance, the numbers on them don’t seem to mean anything. nVidia GeForce 9100 looks impressive, but doesn’t tell anything about its performance. I just want to be able to sort out which ones would be useful to me.

I would suggest at least a GT9800 Nividia

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204027%20600007855%20600030348%20600035048&IsNodeId=1&name=112

They are running around the 100 dollar range now You want at least 112 stream processors,if you can afford more and you box can handle a bigger card I would look at the gt260’s

How about $100 after rebate? with free shipping :cool:

ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

Just make sure you download the latest drivers before installing the card, and don’t use the old software that comes on the CD.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate your help. :iagree:

Oh, hey spacepope, what PSU is in your PC?

Both of the suggested video cards will use a good amount of juice. If the power supply is 400W or better then you might be okay.

I have a Lite-On ps5301-O6ha, 300watts. So I will need something that’s at least 500watts then?

Yeah, so I looked through a lot of the deals and a quality psu that is also efficient and a good price would be the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W. Even though its a bit much at 650W, its a good price after the rebate and the 10% off code and $2 shipping, it comes out to be $60.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2540945]Yeah, so I looked through a lot of the deals and a quality psu that is also efficient and a good price would be the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W. Even though its a bit much at 650W, its a good price after the rebate and the 10% off code and $2 shipping, it comes out to be $60.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the legwork, that is inexpensive, and a great value. :smiley: