Does Anyone Here Love Trains?

vbimport

Does anyone here love trains (as much as I do)? I’m always watching train videos and looking for new ones. My latest discovery is a 9:53:27 long cab-ride in Norway:

There is a spring, summer and winter version of the exact same ride (no fall that I can find). It’s fun to start the summer and the winter videos side-by-side and watch them that way (kinda tricky keeping 'em synced). They are long enough that I also use them to sleep with.

Anyone else here a train freak like I am?

:bigsmile:

I would not say, that I am a train freak. But I do like trains. The small scale one’s.

Mr. Bill :slight_smile:

My grandparents lived close to the railroad tracks so I had my fill of modern trains from that. My modern might be old .
I remember the aluminum passenger trains going by as a kid.
Those had disappeared by the time I was an adult . At least in this area.

I’ve ridden some “tourist” trains.
I’ll start with the Sad Monkey in Palo Duro Canyon here.
No longer in use for many years. Too bad.

The Cog train up Pike’s Peak in Colorado.
I don’t remember the name but one in Cripple Creek ,Colorado.
Cumbres Toltec at Chama NM to Antonita Colorado.

Small train at Royal Gorge ,Colorado.

Some others at various amusement parks.

BTW I’ve never been on an AmTrac

Yes I to am a life long lover of trains particularly steam.
I was not so keen on diesels but electric is okay.

There is a Durango train ride in Colorado, not far from where I am. I have been interested in going on that, but it scares the hell out of me (not too fond of heights).

Some of those straight-down drop-offs petrify me; I know that all those rocks down there used to be up where the train is… gulp :disagree: :Z

I guess where I am (Cheyenne), you sort of have to like steam trains. They just took an old “Big Boy” from one of our local parks and put it in the train shop and are restoring it to operating condition. That’ll take a couple of years but will be interesting when it’s done.

Although I (now) like steam, nothing can beat the sound of EMD:

My favorite part is at 10:06. I love that sound. It’s almost “sexy” (must be a guy thing). BTW, that’s an RC engine; there’s no one in it.

I must admit I quite like travelling by train as I find it quite relaxing.

For me the opportunities to do that though are few and far between.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I would like to ride the Durango train.
If it goes off the cliff . At least it’s a nice veiw on the way down.

I married to a nut-case who has HO scale tracks thru-out the house. Tunneling thru walls, doing ‘climbs’ behind bookcases to the other floors, capable of delivering tanker cars of wine to my bathtub side, coffee and cream, snacks (twinkies even! gag) on flatcars or in boxcars to the downstairs studio (er, dungeon), and upstairs to my sewing rooms. Tracks run along ceiling beams, chasing cats to the sidings (well, OK, technically cross-beams).

it’s a madhouse.

He’s infected our kids, and 8 of our neighbors have installed similar designs, some more insane than others.

Nice. Would love to take a train holiday some day…

I do not like to fly so I am waiting for them to get a train that goes from the USA to Australia so I can go there. But it they put part of the track under water I will not go on a train do not like tunnels I am claustrophobic. that means I cannot go by ship could not stand going below deck.

//youtu.be/yUo1Ghx3QyI

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2709362]I married to a nut-case who has HO scale tracks thru-out the house. Tunneling thru walls, doing ‘climbs’ behind bookcases to the other floors, capable of delivering tanker cars of wine to my bathtub side, coffee and cream, snacks (twinkies even! gag) on flatcars or in boxcars to the downstairs studio (er, dungeon), and upstairs to my sewing rooms. Tracks run along ceiling beams, chasing cats to the sidings (well, OK, technically cross-beams).

it’s a madhouse.

He’s infected our kids, and 8 of our neighbors have installed similar designs, some more insane than others.[/QUOTE]

Sounds much better than a house full of optical disks and computer cases.

Here’s a few more of my favorites:

“The Flat Spot” (cam looking at a flat spot on a train wheel)

This is my favorite early morning coffee drinking train video (no part 2)

This is a “back yard” railroad called “Tionesta Valley RR” (2parts)

Surprised Max hasn’t seen this thread, he’s nuts about trains!

Last time it was when I got my first PIKO train. Later I enjoyed the long distances by train. Now, it is more about planes.

Trains in Africa are generally not recommended :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=brazenbraden;2710007]Trains in Africa are generally not recommended :P[/QUOTE]

The same goes for trains in India.

[QUOTE=Ulenspiegel;2709807]Last time it was when I got my first PIKO train. Later I enjoyed the long distances by train. Now, it is more about planes.[/QUOTE]

That brings back such memories of my Lionel train set when I was a kid. After I was done playing with it in the traditional way, I set about finding “other” things my trains could do. Since we had hardwood floors, I discovered that you can lay out a section of straight track, then run the train off the end to see how far it would go down the hallway. Stuff like that. Then I discovered that the little variable transformer power pack was actually a miniature arc-welder and would melt a sewing needle. sigh Those were the days.

Do a lot of cities have miniature trains thru parks? Austin’s got the Zilker Zephyr. there’s one at San Antonio’s Brackenridge Park, Fort Worth has one…

I’m sure LA must have one, but I’ve never searched for it. San Diego - like around Balboa? Not sure.

I used to have a ho Lionel with the exploding box car and the car that you shot a missile from.But the trans former got bad and I gave it to a second cousin that he added to his collection. he had a whole room of trans ,still does and he’s 80.Where I used to live ,in a little town Of Holly there was the Detroit Train club right in town but never went in. Holly was a cross road in the middle of the State,so it had four tracks going to it.At one time Holly was nothing but hotels an saloons.