My results with various 8X DVD media on the SOHW-812S :
Brand ATIP/ADIP Appearance Playback
Ritek +R Rikek R03 8X variable (1) variable/often poor
Optodisc +R Optodisc OR8 8X OK (2) not bad/slight pixelation
Prodisc +R Prodisc S03 8X Bad (3) Unusable
Verbatim DLP +R MCC 003 8X Bad (4) Unusable
Legacy +R Prodisc R03 8X OK (5) OK
ATIP/ADIP = Read with both Smartburn and DVDInfoPro.
Appearance = Bottom of disc after burning. All discs had a nice even
color with no bad spots before the burn. Discs that were
bad didn’t have a nice even color over the entire burned
area. Dark rings or partial rings and sometimes light or
dark areas resembling splotches were evident.
Playback = How well it did on my Panasonic standalone on the tv.
(1) Spindle of 50 white top inkjet printables. Had rough edges. Probably
a bad spindle but it says something about quality control.
(2) Spindle of 25 blank silver topped discs. Looked fine but the edges
were sticky (weird).
(3) Spindle of 25 blank silver topped discs. Small amounts of dust on
bottom of discs. Some cleaned before using, some not, with the same
results. Seller says it’s a bad spindle.
(4) Data Life Plus 8X Azo made in Singapore. Ten pack in jewel cases.
These were the most expensive discs I bought. What a ripoff.
Absolute garbage at 8X. Made 5 coasters in a row until I tried 4X.
They do ok at 4X. At 8X even worse than the Memorex 4X discs with
the same ATIP as these when burned at 8X.
(5) Spindle of ten. Blank silver topped discs. Appeared identical to
the Prodiscs. No problems encountered. Waiting for a spindle of
25 to see if they do as well.
A long post I know but relevant.