Dodgy looking verb dvds

Ok I bought these dvdrs recently…

200 Verb DVD-R8x (Full Print)+FREE 50 PK
[VERB_DVD-R8X_FULLINK]
http://www.jpldisplays.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_25&products_id=667

It came with 5 spindles of 50, I have opened two spindles. However one of the spindles, as you can see by pic2, they seem to be really bad quality. The other seems fine.

I use to buy these…

50 Verb DatalifePlus DVD-R8x (Full Printable) Ink
[VERB_DVD-R8X_FULLINK]
http://www.jpldisplays.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_25&products_id=396

I’ve been really happy with the quality and performance of those dvds. The physical differences that I can see, is that the old one’s have a very light “VERBATIM” where the green is on the pic1, and “DVD-R 8X” where the red is. Also the white inkjet printable surface on both sets of dvds feel different.

However I used an app, and both sets of dvds seem to be the same… as u can see below

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 02RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 02RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

I use these dvds to store very valuable data, that I would like to keep for many years. So I was wondering if:

• should I use the dvds with the spot
  • should I use the dvds w/o the spots but came at same time
  • is there any apps that can test quality of the dvds

Is the P/N printed on the label of the cake boxes the same for all 5 spindles? Also, where are the discs made?

yes the p/n is the same, and they are made in taiwan.

From your picture, it looks as if there is excess dye spilled onto the transparent area in the centre of the disc. I have some Verbatim discs which came in a similar condition but I don’t think it affected burn quality. That is main point I suppose : how well do those discs burn?

That’s about all I can make out from your picture, so if it is something more serious than that, I’m not sure.

It depends on what DVD Writer(s) you have. Some can test quality of blank media, some can test quality of burnen media, and some can’t.

Could you please post the drive brand(s) and model number(s) you have?

@009tba
There doesn’t seem to be consistency with the aesthetics of the hub printable Verbatims. Some have “Verbatim” and “DVD+R 8x” or “DVD-R 8x” around the hub in the printable area and some don’t. Some have a mirror finish in the hub area (when visible from the dye side) that makes the hub printable area look more similar to the rest of the disc in terms of whiteness, whereas some don’t, like yours, so the hub area is a noticeably different shade of white.

I bought a batch of these discs as well and so far I’ve had no problems with them.

Here’s some scans of the discs. All were burned @ 8x on my Pioneer 110D.