DoD: Total F-35 price tag could reach $382B

vbimport

Whew. Glad to see the federal government trying to keep things going with a fair price tag. Oh, wait…

Senior Pentagon officials on Tuesday announced the F-35 fighter and five other major weapon systems have surpassed a legal cost threshold, while also criticizing the review process that triggers the “Nunn-McCurdy breaches.”

The Defense Department told lawmakers the F-35 fighter program could cost as much as $382.4 billion, with each Lightning II model coming with a $92.4 million price tag, according to DoD budget documents.

Those cost estimates assume the program continues down the current path, which officials told reporters they are working to avoid. One senior Pentagon official – who declined to point to a specific cost target — said efforts already are under way to move the overall cost of the F-35 program “as close as possible” back toward substantially smaller estimates crafted in 2002.

The Defense Department sent the new estimates to Congress after determining the program had breached the so-called Nunn-McCurdy statute, which requires the Pentagon to notify Congress when major defense programs experience substantial cost growth.
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/06/defense_F35_cost_060210/

The JSF looks like an awesome technology, but it’s in complete disarray right now. The Navy will extend the life of its current fleet to avoid a fighter gap, and that trend isn’t too surprising.

I wander what would happen if all countries would stop spending on new weapons and put the money to use building things that help people live there lives better?

[QUOTE=samlar;2523328]I wander what would happen if all countries would stop spending on new weapons and put the money to use building things that help people live there lives better?[/QUOTE]
There would always be one bastard country that would breed like rabbits, and start taking over other territories :iagree:

Overcoming our base instincts requires a higher intelligence. Intelligent people breed slower, and less often.

IDIOCRACY, here we come!!!

My brother in law developed the intake blades for the Pratt and Whitney engines for the JSF 35. He is now developing the production technique. He also designed the Cannondale Six-Thirteen bicycle. His last venture before leaving Cannondale.