Do you worry about radioactive disks ariving from Japan?

vbimport

I have a strong preferance for Tayo Yuden DVDs. I’ve read that they are not anymore top of the crop but they produce nice results and I am fairly conservative.

I am a bit worried about the Fukushima incident. I have no idea where disk factories are located. I found a couple of old discussions mentioning disk factories in Fukushima and you can find a few more referances, before the incident.

But even if the disks that arrive to me are made far away from the disaster zone, what about radioactive materials that will remain at the wide area’s ecosystem for the following months or years?

What about radioactive water? Currents could push that water near disk factories, where it will be used for production.

Then, in the other hand, I don’t plan to drink the disks I’m buying. Nor smash them into peaces and then breathing them.

Yet I still want to know whether any of you have Geiger-measured disks arrived as of late from Japan.

And of course, I want to know what do you think. Perhaps that I worry too much? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=jsmith6;2589789]Perhaps that I worry too much? :P[/QUOTE]

Yep waaaaaaay too much worry :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
unless…you turn the lights out and they start to glow in the dark :eek: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=getit29;2589898]unless…you turn the lights out and they start to glow in the dark :eek: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Ha! That made me laugh!

[QUOTE=getit29;2589898]Yep waaaaaaay too much worry :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
unless…you turn the lights out and they start to glow in the dark :eek: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Glow-in-the-dark coasters - you’d never forget where you parked your drink if you had a power cut. :wink:

As for the original question…I wouldn’t worry about it personally. :slight_smile:

TY does have factory in Fukushima, which was closed down for a few days because of damage done by the earthquake. Read this article:

http://www.hughsnews.ca/taiyo-yuden-disc-plant-resumes-some-shipments-0019876

For $300 you can stop worrying

or, PM me and I´ll send you my bank account number…you can put the money there too and get the same answer!

:iagree:

:cool:

LOL, what a crap.

If you believe in such you must avoid anything thats manufactured since the first atomic tests…

[QUOTE=chef;2594724]LOL, what a crap.

If you believe in such you must avoid anything thats manufactured since the first atomic tests…[/QUOTE]

I thought about it, and decided to buy some Taiyo Yuden JVC CDRs anyway. I’m not that concerned about it, but the fact is that they do have a factory there. You have to decide for yourself whether it matters or not.

Hi,

it is perfectly legit to be worried about radioactive contamination of goods. Nothing to laugh about.

There are basically two mechanisms of turning something that is usually clean into something that has noticeable radioactivity (beyond natural background radiation).

The first one is activation, that is turning a substance into a radioactive one. This requires nuclear reactions and is unlikely outside of nuclear reactors or laboratories.

The other mechanism is simply deposition of radioactive materials onto surfaces. This contamination can be prevented, also the contamination can be normally removed by cleaning the contaminated material. Just like dirt.
Assuming optical media is produced in a very clean environment, I’d consider such a contamination as unlikely. Admitted, the final product might get contaminated during transport. No idea how good the disc packs are packaged and sealed.

With food things are different. There is not only surface contamination, but there is also radioactive material incorporated into the piece of food. And this is dangerous since incorporated alpha and beta emitters are known to cause damage to biological materials.

Michael

Michael, thanks for the information. When I first found out that they did have a factory there, I was a little concrened about, but I decided to buy miore TY discs. I would be a lot more concerned about buying food from there.