Do you still use a printer?

vbimport

Do you still use a printer, and if so, what have you got?

I just had to replace an 9 year old Epson Laser printer, with a Samsung Xpress C460W, and I have to say I’m quite impressed with it, considering its such a small form factor and pretty cheap.

I still have an HP Laserjet 1018 that cost about $35 way back in 2006 or 2007 on some special deal I found. I’ve never changed the toner, so as you might surmise, I don’t use it often. But its beginning to print with some lines through it, which means it needs a refill. I doubt I’m going to do it, since the toner would be close to the original cost of the printer! :stuck_out_tongue:

We also have a much newer printer/scanner/copier, the Canon ImageClass D530, which has been remarkably trouble free, though again, with only limited use.

Yep…still use 1 on a regular base @ home.
A HP 6500A inktjet,but the wi-fi module SUX…:Z

I do. Canon MX512. I use it every day. :iagree:

I’ve always wanted a laser, but I mostly print optical discs and photos.

I’m still using a Canon MP970 which was purchased almost 8 years ago. I hope it doesn’t die as the combination of Ethernet socket & optical disc printing is even harder to find now than it was back then. For many years Canon’s consumer inkjets have been WiFi only. For an Ethernet socket you have to look to their SOHO models, but they lack optical disc printing.

Downsides are no automatic switch on as I was used to with my previous HP (not even via USB). And optical disc printing needs a second round trip (the first being to turn the printer on) back to the computer to confirm the disc has been loaded - something which with better design could be accomplished by pressing the OK button on the printer itself (as is the case when running out of paper).

And of course there’s the cost of ink. It used to be possible to buy these genuine Canon cartridges for £5-6 each (this printer takes 6), but that was before I got my Canon. I’ve always had to pay £8-9 each. But when I recently went to order more ink I had a nasty shock - the price has shot up to around £13 each!

I use a cheap ass Canon 6220 Pixma Wireless printer and I can print from my cell phone and anyplace in my house. I think it was 59.99 on sale at Amazon with Ink Carts.

I have a collection of printers that have been acquired over the years. The two I use the most are a Canon multi function laser printer and an HP Color LaserJet 5550DN. The Canon has been bullet proof and the document copying/scanning is something I use a good amount. I have used Canon inkjets and laser printers for years and put them in the same category as HP for quality and durability. Also, Canon’s customer service is excellent if it is ever used.

I have an old HP LaserJet 1010 attached to my main PC for occasional printing. It was quite a challenge getting it to work in Windows 10 that I wrote a guide a few months ago for anyone who still has one.

The main household printer is a Canon MX925, which is a multifunctional copier, scanner and printer. My mother still loves looking back at photos in physical photo albums and continuously prints all her photos to keep the photo album collection going. We’ve probably saved a few thousand Euro using compatible inks for it and the previous printers it replaced. She likes things simple and the printer/scanner seems to be just that. For example, when she scans an old yellowed print, the software has a ‘touch-up’ button that does a surprising job at restoring it and also means less work for me helping her scan her old pictures in.

Personally I’m happy at looking back at pictures, documents, etc. on screen, so I only print stuff when I need a physical copy, such as printing a return label to stick on a box, form that needs to be signed and mailed off, etc. As a result, I probably print 5 to 10 pages a month. For this, the old HP laser printer is ideal as the toner does not clog like ink heads do with occasional use.

A little tip I discovered for laser printers, particularly at work - If printed pages regularly curl and the print is not very strong, then check the humidity level of the room. Running a dehumidifier in the damp office at work for a week completely transformed the printer - No more page curling and much stronger print despite using the same paper and toner cartridge.

Yes still using a printer, and I replaced an old EPSON RX585 to a Samsung SL-M2070

Yeah we still print stuff here.

Mostly it’s my wife printing out things for when we go on holiday but I print stuff occasionally as well.

I’ve an Epson AcuLaser C1750N hooked up to my router so we can print to it wirelessly, from any device, over the network.

It’s a few years old but still has the original toners as our usage would be pretty low. I wouldn’t contemplate being without a printer though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Dee;2785757]Do you still use a printer, and if so, what have you got?

I just had to replace an 9 year old Epson Laser printer, with a [B]Samsung Xpress C460W[/B], and I have to say I’m quite impressed with it, considering its such a small form factor and pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

We have an Epson XP-820 WiFi/Ethernet all-in-one. My wife’s business requires her to fax and scan documents. Some customers want hard copies and not uploaded docs or photos. The printer also prints inkjet images on optical disks. Like always ink cartridges are expensive.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2785760]Yep…still use 1 on a regular base @ home.
A HP 6500A inktjet,but the wi-fi module SUX…:Z[/QUOTE] I also have and use the HP OfficeJet 6500A All-in-one… but I use Ethernet rather than WiFi.

Course I do :slight_smile: HP Color LaserJet 3600DN, I bought it so cheap, even changing it’s toners is more expensive than what I paid for it. Luckily I have only done that once so far (4/5 years until the next time at my current volume, but it prints very nice).

[QUOTE=Xercus;2785845]Course I do :slight_smile: HP Color LaserJet 3600DN, I bought it so cheap, even changing it’s toners is more expensive than what I paid for it. Luckily I have only done that once so far (4/5 years until the next time at my current volume, but it prints very nice).[/QUOTE]

I bought a used HP 5550DN for $200 several years ago. The reasons I bought it was it can handle 11"x17" paper and the yield count for the cartridges are 13k sheets. I have changed a couple of the original cartridges but it will take a very long time to cycle through all the cartridges. There are some good deals on heavy duty office grade HP printers nowadays.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2785822]I also have and use the HP OfficeJet 6500A All-in-one… but I use Ethernet rather than WiFi.[/QUOTE]

I would 2,but my computer is not near to that printer…I need the fax too on a regular base,so it’s sitting directly near my telephone line.
In fact,HP’s ePrint works faster than direct wifi…

The Epson I had was the C1100, a good printer, but it needed a full set on toners, which was 3 times the price I paid for the Samsung. Plus since it had no networking feature meant is had to be shared from the main PC, which had to be running.

I have the Samsung connected by WiFi only, only a power lead to the printer, and I could place it anywhere in the house. But because I will also be using the built in scanner. It’s close to the PC.

It uses 2.7 Watts in standby mode with WiFi active, which means it just wakes when printing or scanning is required, and then goes back to sleep after 5 minutes.

Printing from my Samsung S7 Edge is only a matter of tapping the phone at the NFC sticker on the printer. Job done. :slight_smile:

Yes but not that much used to print on DVDs after I burned them now I just convert them to mp4 and put them on hard drive

… and after 5 years just the second toner cartridge in it hence we use it rarely.

Good printer for occasional domestic use but old n discontinued by now!

Bought an HP Laserjet 4 back in the 90’s, brand new, for nearly $2200! I was an independent graphic artist and having what was then the best was worth it. It wore out and got replaced with a $100 Laserjet 1022 about 10 years ago. The 1022 prints every bit as good as my old faithful LJ4. I print a couple pages a day.

I mostly used a HP990 I bought about 2000 on eBay new. I just recently retired it for a Epson WorkForce 3640 all in one. I thought I didn’t print that much but it is networked and my sister was trying to print out some web pages and used up all the blue ink after only having it 3 months. I bought a continuous ink system for it on Amazon and so far the new ink works as well as the OEM carts and should last forever provided the printer stays working.
The Epson was 94 bucks at Costco so figured it was worth a gamble and at least I can find ink for it, was getting very hard to find good OEM or refilled carts for the 990 after all these years later. I had to really tweak the print settings to make it print like my old 990 but it’s pretty much there now and glossy photo prints look just like my screen.
It does auto double sided, auto feeds pages to be scanned and double sides them, has a fax, and two paper trays so you can have photo or regular paper always ready to go without swapping them around.
Would like a Laser someday but couldn’t pass this one up for the money and it takes up less space on the desk so I cam eliminate my scanner now.
I mostly print out coupons and web pages and receipts and like that, occasionally some of my pictures.