Do you smoke?

vbimport

I’ve never smoked but I see a lot of people struggling with quitting, even people of who I think are always independent and e.g. hate large companies.

They are still depending on the tobacco giants because stopping seems to be simply a no-no, how much they even (say) they want.

I’m glad I never started, thinking about the money I saved and the other health issues I won’t get due smoking.

Nevertheless, I know it’s not easy to stop, so I certainly don’t want smokers to feel bad and don’t want to urge you stop, but I like to know what you like about it and if you ever tried quitting…

I grew up with some delusion that the ciggie-dangers were recently discovered but, as I’ve listened to more American Old Time Radio Shows, I realize this isn’t true. In some of the late '20s AMOS & ANDY broadcasts, their ciggie ads contained comments about “Filters being better for you” and jokes about “coffin nails”. Obviously, the dangers were so popularly recognized that folks made jokes and clichés out of them.

I always wonder how many young teens start smoking because of their inner need to ‘appear older’ - a force that I suspect just about every adolescent creature experiences.

I stopped 5 years ago when I had a massive heart attack, I had to have a triple bypass, and the doctor said he didn’t know how I survived. When the operation was over, he came into my room, and said if I didn’t stop smoking I would need to find another doctor because he had plenty of patients that wanted to live. So if I wanted to continue to kill myself, I had to find another doctor that had time to waste. Needless to say I never smoked another butt again. Cold turkey. Now I can’t stand the site of them.:wink:

I quit a 3 pack a day habit 19 years ago

I was lucky in a way but could have been hooked .
I got very sick when I was about 5 years old when my great grandfather let me have several puffs from his pipe .
Later one of my great-uncles let me have some chewing tobacco.
I was maybe 7 . I also got sick on that .
I gave that another go when I was 8 when I got some from a older cousin.
He wouldn’t let me spit it out . The threat was he would put twice as much back in if I did. I think I actually turned “green” that time .
I was cured after that & I don’t even like to be around anyone smoking or chewing tobacco.

I ran across this several years ago but smokers might find it interesting.
There is a book “Sugar Blues” . It has a section on tobacco & how it is cured.
American tobacco is cured with a lot of sugar ,syrups & flavorings .
At least some other countries just naturally cure tobacco.
In these countries the lung cancer is much lower in smokers.
It was purposed that is is the burned sugars ,syrups & flavorings that are the main carcinagins . Those also create more tar .

For me I’m anti-smoking but if people want too they should insist on naturally cured tobacco. Of course the flavor won’t be the same . That is a reason I’ve heard that people smoke. They like the flavor.

I don’t smoke and never tried it. :slight_smile: I don’t have too much health to waste it this way.

used to. quit using substitute nicotine (patch, gum).

Some might say I’m smokin’. :cool:
Or maybe that’s just in my imagination. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for smoking tobacco, never did and glad I never started. I watched it take its toll on my dad with emphysema.

I’m fairly sensitive to cigarette smoke and can’t be around it much.

I’m fairly sensitive to cigarette smoke and can’t be around it much.

Same thing! And especially I don’t like when young beautiful ladies smoke - the mix of cigarette smoke and perfume makes my head hurt and I can’t stay too long near of them.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2697108]used to. quit using substitute nicotine (patch, gum).[/QUOTE]
cold turkey for me, congrats

I never smoked cigarettes just cigars and a pipe for a while.I was in love with cigars since I was 5 years old ,my grandfather smoked cigars and his pickup smelled like cigars all the time.I grew up loving the smell and smoked 6 cigars a day for a lot of year .One day I just told myself that’s it if I don’t quit it’s going to do me in.So I quit and go nuts when I smell one.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2697090]I’ve never smoked but I see a lot of people struggling with quitting, even people of who I think are always independent and e.g. hate large companies.

They are still depending on the tobacco giants because stopping seems to be simply a no-no, how much they even (say) they want.

[/QUOTE]

I’ve got lots of problems with large companies, but it’s not the reason why I stopped smoking. These days I mainly focus of the hypocrites driving in big cars, using big computers, and still claim the right to look down on smokers. Are people stupid?

@ the age of 14,a few friends tried to convince me to start smoking just to be part of “the club”.
They gave me cigarettes,I accepted to avoid the nagging,but kept them in my hand instead of putting them in my mouth…:cool:
Result: after a week or 2,my friends didn’t gave me cigarettes anymore,they accepted the fact that I didn’t want to smoke…
I still see some of them occasionally,and now they envy me that they never could convince me to like Tobacco…some of them want to quit smoking,but they can’t…:disagree:

I never smoked one in my life and at this stage I’m sure glad I didn’t either, considering the price here (something like €9/20 if not higher).

I do remember in my youth when I use to be given candy that looked like cigarettes. They were basically round sticks of chocolate wrapped in paper coloured to look like cigarettes, probably as a promotional idea, although I don’t remember what the actual box they came in looked like. Those are obviously a thing of the past, much like how many classic cartoons are also banned here due to characters smoking in the programming.

I remember going to the convenience store to buy a pack for my dad . They were 25 cents .

I never had any of the chocolate cigarettes . What I remember were a “chalky” kind made of powdered sugar I think. White with a red colored tip to look like a burning cigarettes . Then bubble gum cigarettes . Those were wrapped in a paper that looked like a filter cigarettes . To add to that bubble gum cigars. They were bright colors but looked like cigars down to a paper band.

[QUOTE=Seán;2697146]I never smoked one in my life and at this stage I’m sure glad I didn’t either, considering the price here (something like €9/20 if not higher).

I do remember in my youth when I use to be given candy that looked like cigarettes. They were basically round sticks of chocolate wrapped in paper coloured to look like cigarettes, probably as a promotional idea, although I don’t remember what the actual box they came in looked like. Those are obviously a thing of the past, much like how many classic cartoons are also banned here due to characters smoking in the programming.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cholla;2697148]I remember going to the convenience store to buy a pack for my dad . They were 25 cents .

I never had any of the chocolate cigarettes . What I remember were a “chalky” kind made of powdered sugar I think. White with a red colored tip to look like a burning cigarettes . Then bubble gum cigarettes . Those were wrapped in a paper that looked like a filter cigarettes . To add to that bubble gum cigars. They were bright colors but looked like cigars down to a paper band.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never smoked and never really had the desire to. The smell of a chimney is not attractive nor is it pleasant to be intimate with someone who is (might as well lick an ash tray). Probably the thing that irritates me the most in recent years though is the excess mucous/spit and the littering of cigarette butts all over the place. I have some neighbors that smoke and we live in a windy area. The result? Any time the wind picks up I get cigarette butts all over my lawn. Nothing I enjoy more picking up burnt filters that have been in someone else’s mouth.

I quit as of April 27,2013. I Vape now.

I wish more people would do that. You get your nicotine fix and don’t smell like a forest fire.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2697122]cold turkey for me, congrats[/QUOTE]

Yo JC-

Me too - 7 1/2 years ago-eh!! :bigsmile: