Do you recomend me the AD-7201S?

vbimport

well, that’s basically the issue. I’m looking for a new drive for a new system too and I put my eyes on a that one, the Optiarc AD-7201S. do you think that drive really worth?

I had a pioneer, a sansung and a Lite-On and I wasn’t fully satisfied with anyone that’s because I chose this time to give a try to Optiarc. the pioneer 109 was ok but it doesn’t support bittseting on rw media and 100 min cds. the samsung 202, due some problems with my system, was wrong flashed (= r.i.p. “piece of yunk”) but before that happend the quality and performance wasn’t too good (that was because i start cheating). and the Lite-On 20A4h is ok but the quality isn’t too great, doesn’t scan cds and I had some compatibility issues.

that’s what my should have (in this order ;)):[ol]
[li]SATA interface
[/li][li]bitsetting on any + media (DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL)
[/li][li]scan cds, dvds
[/li][li]good burning quality of course, but, I don’t care if it’s not top quality with good quality I’m satisfied
[/li][li]and should be one of the ALL-IN-ONE type, the more things it have the better. (DVD-RAM, LightScribe, 100 min cds …)[/ol]
[/li]
I didn’t find too much info about the 7201S (and 0 reviews) then do you know if it could meet my specs?
I’m specially worried about the bitsetting funcs. I heard about the liggy’s modified firmware and the binflash util but I don’t have it clear. not sure if that tools fully works on the 7201S.

and finally, of course, tell me what other drives you think it could be ok for me, please.

thanks just for read me

Not necessarily true, sometimes, it may work the other way.

If you want bitsetting on +R and +RW, then you will need to use unofficial firmware since NEC/Optiarc only supports bitsetting on +R9 natively. Binflash should work without any problems since it works with the 7200S. Just make sure you read all the precautions and necessary steps before using it.

It’s always a good idea to try a couple of burns to make sure the drive is working well with your setup.

Since you posted in the NEC/Optiarc forum, suggestion for another brand is probably banned. :stuck_out_tongue: But the 720xS series seems to be nice and solid.

yes bad news, I finally found the Optiarc DH-7200A review (it was on the sticky, sorry), I think that aside from LightScribe and interface should be the same, and it doesn’t officially support bitsetting on DVD+R/+RW :(.

anyway, just for safety, did you try to change the booktype on your 7200s (I guess you have one) with binflash by yourself?

because I knew binflash can flash the 720xa/s series (it’s on the supported chart) but bitsetting not work on all drives:

also the review comments it doesn’t support 100 min cds. someone knows if on new vers of the drive supports 100 min cds

I’ve started considering the old AD-7191S since is suposed to be a rebadged Lite-On DH-20A3L, with Optiarc firmware, and that should be very similar to the DH-20A4H I have now but with SATA interface. as far I know the main diference between the 7201 and the 7191 is the 12x support for dl media.

-but in terms of quality, do you think that there’s diference or too much diference between them?

and

I see, sorry. the main purpose of the post was get info, specially the booktype capabilities, about the NEC AD-7201S that was because I posted here. then, perhaps, I should start another thread.

[QUOTE=khynho;2101682]

that’s what my should have (in this order ;)):[ol]
[li]SATA interface
[/li][li]bitsetting on any + media (DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL)
[/li][li]scan cds, dvds
[/li][li]good burning quality of course, but, I don’t care if it’s not top quality with good quality I’m satisfied
[/li][li]and should be one of the ALL-IN-ONE type, the more things it have the better. (DVD-RAM, LightScribe, 100 min cds …)[/ol]
[/li]
and finally, of course, tell me what other drives you think it could be ok for me, please.

thanks just for read me[/QUOTE]

The 7201S should be ok, it does most of the things you want, but it’s not the best scanner for dvd’s, much better with cd’s than the liteon.

What can i say, the bitsetting works fine with all nec/optiarc drives that i have flashed (from 3500 to 7200A) so it should work ok with the 7201.

I have burned a tdk 90min audio cd and it played fine, i didn’t try any 100min cd so i cant say anything about that.

Also the DH-20A4H is very close to the DH-20A1H not to the DH-20A3H, from what i know.

Yes, I have a 7200S and Binflash worked fine with backing up the original firmware as well as flashing the LD-modified 1.06bt firmware.

Yes, the 7191S is just a 20A3L, which uses a different MediaTek chipset than the 20A4H, which is more of a refreshed update of the 20A1H, since the chipset used is the same.

I believe the 719x-series was just a filler for having a NEC/Optiarc “branded” 20x drive out before actually releasing the 720x-series, which uses an actual NEC chipset.

I was just kidding, thus, the tongue sticking out. I’m sure it’s fine to mention other brands here, just don’t denigrate NEC in this forum without proper data to back it up. :wink:

It’s no problem to mention other brands here. :slight_smile:
It’s no problem to even say some NEC/Optiarc drives sucks and, many of the 45xx, 47xx, and 71xx series did suck.

We do object to someone just blurting out something like “get xxxxxx brand” without giving good reason why an NEC/Optiarc owner should switch brands. This is the NEC/Optiarc forum after all. :slight_smile:

thanks for your answers

I hope, because, my lite can’t do credible cd scans. that’s one of the reason because I’m interested on optiarc this time.

another thing, reading posts here I heard almost everything. while some people say it’s preferable to avoid 3rd party ide controllers on motherboards others claim problems with sata chipsets configured on raid or ahci mode. my board will be a Asus P5E3:[ul]
[li]NorthBridge: intel x38
[/li][li]SouthBridge (I/O controller): 82801IR alias ICH9R
[/li][li]3rd party storage (SATA) controller: Marvell 88SE6111:[list=-]
[/li][li]1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66/33 for up to 2 PATA devices
[/li][li]1 xExternal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)[/ul][/list]
[/li]I’m going to mount only one hard disk (ST3500320AS info: SATA 3Gbits NCQ) and I’ll config the sata controller as ahci (raid disable) because I think it’s the way it should be.

base on that, I think that the right option is to go on sata but what would you choose for my config, sata or ide?

ok, it’s clear. btw I didn’t own a optiarc drive yet and I’m not a fan of any special brand either then I’m open to any other suggestion but I’m most probably going to order the mentioned drive soon, I’m still going to think a little more but almost sure.