Do you pay or do you pay ? The break-even point

Just a thought…

What is the main primaly use of your internet connection ?

Say you use more than 50% of the internet connection to download data with “questionable content”. For instance… games or mp3’s

Now , i assume you have to pay for that internet connection.
Perhaps even a monthly subscription for it.

The more bandwith/speed , the more the montly subscription would cost eh ?

If you gave up your internet connection , i’m sure you could save quite some money. Perhaps with the saved money you also could buy several “legal content”. For instance … games or music cd’s.

Now , i don’t want to talk about the legal/illegal issue , but where in the costs of all is the break even point ?

Say you pay $50 per month for your cool interenet conneciton. You would like to play an average of 1 new game and buy 1 new music cd per month.

If you gave up your internet connection , it could be easily feasible to pay for those games.

I know … new cool games may cost more than $50 , but if you plan to wait till it’s cheaper you’d easiliy buy it for $25. Same may apply for music cd’s (Though in the Netherlands it usually doesn’t).

If games would cost $10 … would you even think of using “questionable content”… is it really worth all the fuss ?

Don’t say you use your huge bandwith internet connection for the sole purpose of emailing or msn’ing , because if that were the case , you could easiliy have sufficient speed by using a dial up account :slight_smile: (And still save money when compared to DSL or cable , which you can use for new games and music).

Where would your break even point be ? $20 ? $30 ?

The whole point is that $50 gives you a lot of ‘questionable’ content which would otherwise have costed you thousands of dollars. I mean in a period of one month, if you calculate the amount of what all you have downloaded, its gonna amount to much, much more than that.

As far as I am concerned, I have a dial-up connection. Only use it for important official mails and work that I do at home. I do have a broadband at my workplace but its limited to all ‘non questionable’ stuff :slight_smile:

But I must confess that if I could own broadband at home, I would definitely be downloading ‘questionable’ stuff…as most of us here do. You see there are many ‘interesting’ things I could do with $50 - but Internet broadband is much more than downloading games and pirated music and movies. Its about video-conferencing, faster browsing, downloading utilities and drivers (these are ove 650 MB these days) and much more.

I think that with a broadband connection you can also get ‘questionable content’ which you aren’t able to get in your own country. But it would be just lame if you only used your braodband connection to download stuff you can’t get at home. I think that people who have a braodband connection, download much more then $50 a month (if you have one game and one audio cd, you would be paying $70), Playstation2 games are even more expensive and you could download those also. Another reason why people have broadband connections is that you can get content such as movies, games, cd’s much sooner then when it is released in your country (or in the whole world).

You cannot speak of an break even point in my case. As i live in the netherlands i pay about $50 a month for a dsl line.
I download some questionable stuff (of course, who doesn’t) but when i read in the newspaper (or get to hear of a cd by some other means) i’m not running to the shop to buy it. First i try to find a download and listen to it. When I find it worth to pay the 25 bucks for it i will buy it.
But there is so much crap what i filter.
(I don’t play games anymore so that doesn’t apply to me. And for other software: I’ve got a very expensive audioprogram running om my pc from which I use only 2 features, When I can buy that program with only those 2 options i’m willing to pay for it, but not for the whole bundle)

i used to buy a lot of cd’s and games…but they are to expensive now

I will pay for originals aslong as the prices for them are normal. But here, Holland, they are much to high.

So i will keep my internet connection

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
Don’t say you use your huge bandwith internet connection for the sole purpose of emailing or msn’ing , because if that were the case , you could easiliy have sufficient speed by using a dial up account :slight_smile: (And still save money when compared to DSL or cable , which you can use for new games and music).

Depends: if you use dialup to chat all day, it will cost a whole lotta money :wink: First when I had broadband I used it for everything, like games, movies and music (am I allowed to say this, otherwise just remove it). But now I only download music. Guess the fact of being online all the time has given me less time to play games and watch movies :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dansmug

Depends: if you use dialup to chat all day, it will cost a whole lotta money :wink: First when I had broadband I used it for everything, like games, movies and music (am I allowed to say this, otherwise just remove it). But now I only download music. Guess the fact of being online all the time has given me less time to play games and watch movies :slight_smile:

@Dansmug
sure you can… there are legal musics , games , etc :)…

@All
But in general… there is not even a break even point ? Hmm…
what should the software and music people do then , besides lowering their prices… in other words … what would take it (besides money issues) to stop downloading “questionable data”.

But in general… there is not even a break even point ? Hmm…
what should the software and music people do then , besides lowering their prices… in other words … what would take it (besides money issues) to stop downloading “questionable data”.

We all know the answer: nothing. Except some idealists no one will pay for something they get for free. Too bad.

Originally posted by dansmug

We all know the answer: nothing. Except some idealists no one will pay for something they get for free. Too bad.

In that opinion … the RIAA has every right to kick ass around the P2P programs and networks…

I think that in my case a dial up would be cheaper, but I do llike the convenience of not having to worry about time when I am online…

As far as my downloading is concerned, hardly ever download this ‘questionnable content’. All I do at the moment is chat, browse this forum and visit links I see coming by on chat or this forum (downloading funny mpg and such).

But I know I am an exception here :wink:

Say you pay $50 per month for your cool interenet conneciton.
I pay 50$/month for a crappy 64 isdn connection !!
You guys get cable for that amount of money?? :a

And no, i dont download anything “funny” - how could i anyways with 5kb/sec?? :frowning:

I have a free dial-up and no second phone-line, so I cannot download anything over 20mb :frowning: However, if I had a T1 line or DSL I would spend most of tht time online downloading as much stuff as possible because i am cheap and do not wish to pay for the stuff that is so overpriced that you can only buy 1 game a month.

itd be nice to have the time to play with all the things i could be downloading. as it is, im a very impatient person, and i like to be able to sit down, turn my monitor on, and have the internet on my desktop - no wait. otherwise, im just as likely to stand back up and go do something else. and then all of this hw would never get done. i find a 3kbps downlink keeps the internet coming more than quick enough. and for some reason, they forgot to bill me last month. cha-ching! 50 $ more they are gonna try n charge me next month.

Originally posted by Da_Taxman
As far as my downloading is concerned, hardly ever download this ‘questionnable content’.

:cop:

I only have 56k dialup, but I spend much time downloading "questionable content.

In my experience, most of the music is crap and I kill it after listening to it just once, or if it’s a game (rare) I find that most of them aren’t worth the money or effort of going down top the store.

I admit that the majority of games I play are pirate editions, but if I find I like a game, I’ll wander down to the store and buy a copy. The majority, I play for about 10 minutes and kill it. They have absolutely no lasting value whatsoever.

Some games are just worth it, without even thinking about using pirate copies. Lucas Arts games (Monkey island 1-4, sam and max, grim fandango, etc) were all worth every penny I paid for them ($80-90 Aus), as well as Unreal Tournament, quake 1,2,3 and Halflife, and mechwarrior series, and of course the Theme-series!

It still comes down to whether someone sees any value in buying an original copy. Music is an excellent consideration. Why should someone have to pay full price for songs that they don’t like on a cd, when they can download just the good songs for the equivalent price or less.

The Music industry needs a new model. Maybe custom ordered cd’s, or at the store Pressed CD’s on demand.

This discussion is a dead end. It’s just re-hashed every few months cos Mr Belvedere is having some sort of repeating moral crisis.

Anyone remember the Mr B, Moral crusader??

:smiley:

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Da_Taxman
As far as my downloading is concerned, hardly ever download this ‘questionnable content’.

:cop:[/B][/QUOTE]
Hey, I do have relatives and friends (yes, I do have friends) that don’t have the kind of connection I have…

Besides, downloading shareware which you continue to use after the time period has expired, but can still be used, is, in the strict sense, also categorised under ‘questionable content’.

But I even have mIRC registered… :wink:

Originally posted by debro
[BThis discussion is a dead end. It’s just re-hashed every few months cos Mr Belvedere is having some sort of repeating moral crisis.

Anyone remember the Mr B, Moral crusader??

:smiley: [/B]

LOL… err not really a matter of repeating here…

I was just wondering if the music industry could really come up with a alternative for everyone. It’s not a matter of my personal morality.

I do like the discussion about it though (see the last 2 zillion polls and other postings i’ve made). Bottom line speaking there is no doubt about it that downloading questionable content might get one in trouble , simply because it’s illegal , but thanks to the doubts and the common reason “why not ? it’s not like they are gonna arrest you for it” , people think all is legal.

Now if the music and gaming industry wants to get rid of that image they either have to change their marketing strategies/models or starting a zero-tolerance about internet users who download and produce such questionable content.

So , if there actually is a break even point where people might consider getting the legal stuff over the illegal stuff , that could be a helpful tool.

My apologies if my postings have made you think , annoy you or stole your time :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]

LOL… err not really a matter of repeating here…

My apologies if my postings have made you think , annoy you or stole your time :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

Damn, Thinking hurts, annoys and requires way too much time to be healthy.

I agree. If the music industry presented a new model whereby people could just pay for what they actually want, rather than be forced to pay exorbitant prices for a few gold nuggets in a bucket of crap, then piracy would be deader than a fish finger in a room full of starving cats.

And I saw that tongue. :cop: Hands up Mister.

If I spent half as much money just buying the songs that I want and not trawling P2P networks and downloading, they’d be bloody rich anyway.