Do you like watching in high definition?

vbimport

Considering that there are more and more TV shows in HD, I prefer watching sports, news and movie channels in HD whenever possible. Only ABC news is not HD yet unfortunately.

I also prefer watching Blu-ray but I don’t mind watching DVD upconverted.

Do you like watching movies and TVs in high definition?
What is your experience in high definition?
Do you have high definition?

~

I have an “HD-Only” programming package from Dish Network, so it’s not a question of whether to watch HD. The premium channels I get in SD I usually avoid watching for that reason. Broadcast HD channels I get from an antenna, and they generally look great.

My Oppo 983 DVD player makes many SD movies look better than the average “HD-Lite” fare on satellite. I also have HD-DVD and BD players, but again sometimes find the PQ lacking.

Yup! :slight_smile:

:cool::cool:

i have an HD DVR receiver from Mediacom Cable and a 42" plasma HDTV.

yes, i do prefer watching the high definition channels. however most of the channels my wife watches everyday are not in high definition.

Broadcast HD channels I get from an antenna

this i will have to look into, as it is the local networks which she watches most of the time anyway.

Here in Oz, there are only 5 major (free to air) broadcasters, all have a HD option & SD option. Often it’s only news and sports which is in HD, and many (recent) movies are obviously SD stretched to HD, or perhaps just heavily over-compressed to fit the bandwidth.

Generally I watch everything in HD, if it’s available, but occasionally the SD channel differs from the HD channel, and the program on HD sucks.
If that happens though, I generally watch something from the server :stuck_out_tongue:

Summary - HD when possible.

After 6 months, I’m almost over the WOW factor from HD, where you aren’t watching the programming for the content, but are instead pinpointing out the flaws on major TV/Movie personalities. It’s great to see that major stars are as ugly as everyone else :stuck_out_tongue:

HD just looks real. Having a kickass upscaler in the TV makes SD look pretty good too, but watching programs on an SDTV is like looking through fogged up beer goggles :stuck_out_tongue:

Believe it or not, despite having 2 HD ready TVs (1 plasma 42’ and one 32 LCD) i have yet to watch a true HD movie or TV program.

I don’t own a BD yet and there are no HD available in Greece AFAIK. In Sweden where i am currently residing, there are HD packages available but the 40+E/month for the 1-2h i spend at home don’t really sound appealing.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2154317]Believe it or not, despite having 2 HD ready TVs (1 plasma 42’ and one 32 LCD) i have yet to watch a true HD movie or TV program.

I don’t own a BD yet and there are no HD available in Greece AFAIK. In Sweden where i am currently residing, there are HD packages available but the 40+E/month for the 1-2h i spend at home don’t really sound appealing.[/QUOTE]

You are correct Hemispasm still no HD programs in Greece.

[quote=troy512;2153681]i have an HD DVR receiver from Mediacom Cable and a 42" plasma HDTV.

yes, i do prefer watching the high definition channels. however most of the channels my wife watches everyday are not in high definition.

this i will have to look into, as it is the local networks which she watches most of the time anyway.[/quote]
You can enter your Address, City and ZIP here to view local broadcast (analog and digital) http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

kewl, thanks for that. :slight_smile:

shows the stations are available. :slight_smile:

I am confused by this thread. Why would someone not like to watch movies in high definition. How about a poll like “can you tell the difference” or “how often do you”. I can’t think of one good reason someone would not like to watch anything in high definition.

Epson 1080UB Projector
Carada 92" Brilliant White Screen
Def Tech Mythos Sts, Mythos Ten Center,
Mythos Gem XL’s x 4, HSU 3.3 Sub
Integra DHC 9.9 Pre/Pro
Outlaw 7125 Amplifier
Oppo 980H, Panasonic BD35
Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, E8400@4.0 Ghz: 8800GT PC

Love HD. I have 30-40 HD channels with Comcast including all major networks. I generally don’t watch anything on SD anymore unless I can’t get it on HD (like Shield, no FXHD yet). But There isn’t much not in HD anymore. I even watch the FoodNetwork on HD (Hi Giada, looking good sweetheart). I also, have HD and BD players and a Comcast HD DVR.
Yeah sp111, I though the thread name was odd too.

[quote=ricoman;2157422]Love HD. I have 30-40 HD channels with Comcast including all major networks. I generally don’t watch anything on SD anymore unless I can’t get it on HD (like Shield, no FXHD yet). But There isn’t much not in HD anymore. I even watch the FoodNetwork on HD (Hi Giada, looking good sweetheart). I also, have HD and BD players and a Comcast HD DVR.
Yeah sp111, I though the thread name was odd too.[/quote]

Shows like

Burn Notice
CSI
CSI MIAMI
CSI New York
Eleventh Hour
Eureka
Flashpoint
Fringe
Heroes
My Own Worst Enemy
N.C.I.S.
Sanctuary
Smallville
Sons of Anarchy
Stargate Atlantis
Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles
The Border
True Blood

and many more … are great to watch in HD.

Baseball
Basketball
Football
Hockey

Pretty much all sporting events are great to watch in HD.

:cool::cool:

Yes, definitely sports. I’m a Yankee fan and to see that widescreen shot from behind home plate is just super. :iagree:(Ok, enough with the boos Sox fans.):stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=sandypeter111;2157367]I am confused by this thread. Why would someone not like to watch movies in high definition. [/quote]Well I have friends who still prefer watching non hi-def shows since it “fill” her TV screen (4:3 CRT). And when she goes to blockbuster she chooses full screen instead of widescreen DVDs.

How about a poll like “can you tell the difference” or “how often do you”.
Good idea! how about if you start the thread/poll. :wink:

I just like watching…
Sometimes from the bushes. Sometimes with binoculors. hehehe Just kidding…
I love my Hi Def. My Samsung is only a 720P, but the picture quality (as compared in the store), was nearly as good as the 1080p’s, at a much lower cost. My Samsung was one of the best 720p pictures that I saw, and I looked at a lot of tv’s…

yes, i do prefer watching the high definition channels. it give wonderful clarity.

I can’t judge HDTV content since all of my dedicated TV sets are 4:3 analog CRT’s (albeit with DTV converter boxes connected to them), and I can currently watch HDTV programming only on my main computer system (which has an HDTV tuner card). And since the computer has only a 19" widescreen LCD, it can only display up to 720p (I need at least a 24" widescreen LCD in order to use 1080p). 1080i programming from CBS, NBC and The CW gets converted to either 720p or 1080p, again depending on the LCD screen.