Do you know what the NEC/Optiarc AD-7220S is worth?

vbimport

Here:

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/products/hhid_dvdrw/ad7220.html

Anybody tried it ?

I don’t think it’s available for sale yet.

It’s Lighter Smaller Than The AD-7200 Series…Etc.

Is It A Real NEC/Optiarc/SONY Drive?

On the product page, they don’t talk about the features implemented in the 7200 series such as:

The Best Customer Experience with New Technologies

* — Auto Strategy - Good write quality
* — Adaptive Self Tuning - Optimized performance for each disc and environment
* — PRML (Partial Response, Maximum Likelihood - Least data error and better readability
* — Front-end Digitalization - Enhanced stability and quality

Maybe It’s A Lite-On :confused:

If this drive turns out to be a liteon, then thank’s but i’ll pass this and get nother 720xA or S.

Really looks like it could be a LiteOn drive :Z

On this page you can take a look at their “Autumn 08 brochure” that has pictures of several drives.

Just check the position of the emergency eject hole of the AD-7220A and compare it to the AD-7200A (same brochure) and the Sony DRU-190A which is a LiteOn OEM. Let’s all cross our fingers that the 7200 series was not the last drive containing NEC technology.

I understand the potential disappointment of the 722x-series being another LO clone, but why bash LO when it’s NEC that doesn’t have a chipset capable of burning DVDs at 22x at the moment?

[QUOTE=Liggy;2138717]Really looks like it could be a LiteOn drive :Z[/QUOTE]

You are right Liggy, also no 7223 :sad:, looks like another Liteon :(.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2138717]Let’s all cross our fingers that the 7200 series was not the last drive containing NEC technology.[/QUOTE]

fingers crossed.

My biggest fear is that NEC stops developing ODD chipsets also, now that would be a disaster.

[quote=Liggy;2138717]Let’s all cross our fingers that the 7200 series was not the last drive containing NEC technology.[/quote] [quote=vroom;2138802]fingers crossed.[/quote] Claws crossed …and a spare 7203A ordered. :smiley:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2138805]Claws crossed …and a spare 7203A ordered. :D[/QUOTE]

I’m about to do the same thing Drage.

Could you please tell why you didn’t buy the sata version ?

[quote=rtristelune;2138813]Could you please tell why you didn’t buy the sata version ?[/quote] Me? Because I don’t have any free SATA ports in my computer, and all my external enclosures are PATA.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2138828]Me? Because I don’t have any free SATA ports in my computer, and all my external enclosures are PATA.[/QUOTE]

OK, cool, I was afraid you were avoiding the sata version because it had some pb/drawback…I might purchase the AD7203S soon…but I am still undecided between this drive and the samsung SH-S202…

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2138805]Claws crossed …and a spare 7203A ordered. :D[/QUOTE]

May I ask why exactly the 7203A and not just a 7200A ? - I am curious íf the 7203A has any advantages other than the Labelflash feature (which I for one would not need) ? Does it maybe have a better built quality or is it better in reading or writing …or anything else ? - (To me it seems that many like the 7203 way more than the other models of the 72xx series, and I have no idea why…:confused:) TIA!

@berky

the 7203 is that same as the 7200 or the 7201, it has more to do with what you need or what you can find.

[quote=berky;2138873]May I ask why exactly the 7203A and not just a 7200A ?[/quote] For the DiscT@2 feature wich is fun to play with. :smiley:

[QUOTE=KTL;2138739]I understand the potential disappointment of the 722x-series being another LO clone, but why bash LO when it’s NEC that doesn’t have a chipset capable of burning DVDs at 22x at the moment?[/QUOTE]

Your question makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. No one is bashing Lite-On. We can just buy Lite-On drives, which we have and will continue to do. The point is that we want NEC to continue producing drives with it’s own chipset, and we’re upset if this means they won’t. How complicated is that to understand? We don’t need rebadges, we want to the real thing.

It’s definitely a Lite-On. The 7220A is available at NewEgg now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118022