Do you have a Facebook account?

vbimport

Despite all the concerns over Facebook such as protecting your profile, dealing with bullying, problems with hijacked accounts, fake friends, viruses and so on, all this has had a negligible effect on putting people off the social giant. In fact, at this stage, pretty much everyone I know in their 20s/30s has a Facebook account. Ok, I’m one who doesn’t and never will.

So I thought it would be interesting to post a poll to see whether there are any other lucky ones who don’t have a Facebook account and never will.

This is also my first ever poll on a discussion forum. :slight_smile:

I do. Created because Hemi kindly started a CDFreaks FB group. :slight_smile:

The Chat feature can be a pain in the arse though, thankfully I found out how to switch it off some time back.

If it hadn’t been for CDF/MyCE though, I wouldn’t touch FB with someone else’s bargepole. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, congrats on yer first LR poll :slight_smile:

My wife has a Facebook account. Subsequently, she maintains contact with people that I could not give a rat’s ass about. I really hate it. I hate the superficial relationships I see on it. I hate the minutia. The movie looks like it might be good though, how geeky twerps become billionaires. There is no justice in the world. Any and all problems relating to spyware and possible virus attacks ave come from Faceville, stupid Farmville, and the other idiotic links people post on it. Spam has increased exponentially since she joined Facebook.

I will never have a Facebook account. I never communicate with anyone through there. I only belong to 2 forums, this one, and www.papermodelers.com . I call people on the phone to speak to them, e-mail is impersonal enough. I must admit, I really do like the 2 forums I belong too. The Russian Ekranoplan is a model I designed. The A90 is one I am working on. Made completely of paper, from blueprints of the actual craft. I may be releasing these for sale as down-loadable .pdfs (cheap, just a couple of bucks). One of the other things I do.

Excellent points :wink:

Like with cigarettes, I’ve so far managed to stay away from the “Sign Up” button despite all the Facebook invitations I’ve received over the years.

So far I never really saw the need to join it, since I figured that if anyone wanted to just have me listed as their friend so they can “broadcast” their messages, photos, etc. as their way of keeping in touch, I don’t really see the person as a true friend.

For keeping in touch, I’m happy enough with e-mail, messenger, by phone, in person and sometimes the good old fashioned letter in the post. These methods still pass the evening away when there is little else going. For the time I want to broadcast something out in public, I write it in a forum post, like this one. :slight_smile:

[b]Edit: [/B]I just saw Zathros’ post. I certainly agree with you there, especially with Farmville. The clicker button on the family laptop is broken, which I’m sure is the result of all the clicking my sister in-law did on farmville. Even the cordless mouse goes through batteries every few weeks and it use to last several months.

I deleted my account, since I never used it.

I have an account but I never use it.
I think i may delete it, at least that way people won’t think i’m ignoring them on facebook. :slight_smile:

No I don’t and never will.Of course I’m not 20/30, a little over double that.:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2555083]No I don’t and never will.Of course I’m not 20/30, a little over double that.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Don’t feel too bad. The first computer language I learned was APL, back in 1973. No monitor, just a printer. I have never really seen too many computer savvy people on Facebook, that speaks for itself. I am surprised Twitter wasn’t included in this. Maybe that puts me out on a limb, but I just don’t want to know that much about people.

[QUOTE=Seán;2555073]
[b]Edit: [/B]I just saw Zathros’ post. I certainly agree with you there, especially with Farmville. The clicker button on the family laptop is broken, which I’m sure is the result of all the clicking my sister in-law did on farmville. Even the cordless mouse goes through batteries every few weeks and it use to last several months.[/QUOTE]

I’ve managed to dodge the Farmville thingy so far, despite my neighbour sending me this that and the other relating to it via FB. :wink:

Farmville thingy? - nice wording!

I don’t need these sort of “friends” - got better things to do with my time.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2555086]Don’t feel too bad. The first computer language I learned was APL, back in 1973. No monitor, just a printer. I have never really seen too many computer savvy people on Facebook, that speaks for itself. I am surprised Twitter wasn’t included in this. Maybe that puts me out on a limb, but I just don’t want to know that much about people.[/QUOTE]

That was about my fifth. Fortran using punch cards my first…

I’m still trying to figure out what is the meaning of that thing and how it had so much success :doh:

Some time ago I saw two people sending messages each other using facecrap and they were in the same room :doh:

[QUOTE=geno888;2555177]
Some time ago I saw two people sending messages each other using facecrap and they were in the same room :doh:[/QUOTE]

LOL…oh dear. :doh:

There’s an episode of [UK sitcom] The IT Crowd that sends up Farcebook good and proper. It’s called “Friendface” and pretty funny. :slight_smile:

While it can be annoying, Facebook does serve a purpose.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2555199]While it can be annoying, Facebook does serve a purpose.[/QUOTE]

Yep: make someone extremely rich :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Zathros;2555086]I am surprised Twitter wasn’t included in this…[/QUOTE]
Hmm, that’ll be a poll for another day. :slight_smile:

I admit that I did have a Twitter account (now deleted), which I used for a rather bizarre purpose. I used it for bookmarking stories and articles to read later on, so I had quick access to them on another computer.

I gave up on that approach after a few weeks after someone said something like “Why are you using that stupid thing?” The links were also public and even if I made the tweets private, it would have meant having to log on everywhere to retrieve them, which made it not really any more effective than using a draft e-mail for storing links. So in the end, I abandoned Twitter and have since deleted the account.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2555199]While it can be annoying, Facebook does serve a purpose.[/QUOTE]

Good point. My best mate and another friend from school 19 years ago recently found me via FB, and I’m very glad they did. :slight_smile:

As for Twitter. No way. That’s something I will not be dabbling with, Facebook’s enough LOL. :slight_smile:

@Millennium12 (missed that earlier): Oh yeah, nothing but technical descriptions here. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2555177]I’m still trying to figure out what is the meaning of that thing and how it had so much success :doh:

Some time ago I saw two people sending messages each other using facecrap and they were in the same room :doh:[/QUOTE]

Apparently, that’s the norm with “texting”.:eek:

[QUOTE=geno888;2555177]Some time ago I saw two people sending messages each other using facecrap and they were in the same room :doh:[/QUOTE]That reminds me of the TV spot of a mobile phone provider (Vodoofone, IIRC): Two people sitting in a small boat fishing. They communicate with each other using their mobile phones :doh:

Michael - no facebook for me either. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2555107]That was about my fifth. Fortran using punch cards my first…[/QUOTE]

I converted many programs to a CNC format while at Sikorsky Aircraft, from those old punch cards. Remember the Texas Instruments TI-66. That calculator was a life saver.

I never thought computers would be used for the inane things people use them for and that this would actually drive the market. I see a big dumbing down coming, if it isn’t here already.