Do you guys upgrade as a matter of course?

I’m running 5.2.3.0 Fab Platinum and have had no problems. Is there any reason to upgrade to 5.2.5.0 or, for that matter, to go through any upgrade of Fab if the one you’re currently running seems to get the job done?

By the way, as my ‘moniker’ indicates, I’ve been “New on Forum” over two years now. I figure I’ll lose that tag in what, another three or four years?

Post a few more times and that New on Forum tag will change to Junior Member.

You’ll still be welcome in the Newbie forum however. :slight_smile:

The only reason to upgrade to a newer version is the copy protection. This latest release is able to copy the movie doubt which has new copy protection on it and the Beta’s and the version you have was not able to copy that movie

GJ,

Thanks, but ‘incompatible’ movies traditionally have prompted a beta release - not a new version. So, I assume that there’s something more going on here…

read the change logs for more details

keep a few dvdfab installers, this way if a new version has a bug you can always install the older vesion again.

oh and the 5.3 betas are testing the bluray support, where as 5.2 versions are not.

I generally update as a general rule and I always read the changelog as good, routine practice as Troy suggested.
I usually read some of the posts on the new beta threads just to be alerted to any new bugs.

Most of us regulars (and others I’m sure) archive all versions so reverting back to a previous version in the event of a problem is quick and simple.

[Oh, oh…looks like Troy said that too…ok, I’ll just shut up now]…:stuck_out_tongue:

Troy and Maineman,

Thanks much. The advice on archiving older versions is well taken, and I’ll be sure to follow it.

By the way, I DO read the change logs, but always updated even if none of the issues addressed in a revision were of import to me. That’s why I asked the original question about upgrading regardless of whether or not one is having problems…

Same as Tom here as I always update to the latest version one exception though is the beta versions, I d/l them but don’t install them unless there is a need to, I also keep the older versions just in case

Jimbo,

Just curious. Why do you (and some others here) use “DVD Next Copy”? Is DVD Fab not ‘getting the job done’ for you?

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2260783]Jimbo,

Just curious. Why do you (and some others here) use “DVD Next Copy”? Is DVD Fab not ‘getting the job done’ for you?[/QUOTE]

We have other programs because it is always a good idea to have other tools in the old toolbox :wink:

Not to give you a hard time, StormJumper (particularly since you ended your sentence with a smiley!), but my toolbox doesn’t contain any more tools than I actually need to get the job done. Extra tools cost extra money, and I try to spend my money wisely. So, again, I really am curious. Why do you guys need other programs if Fab does the job?

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2260993]Not to give you a hard time, StormJumper (particularly since you ended your sentence with a smiley!), but my toolbox doesn’t contain any more tools than I actually need to get the job done. Extra tools cost extra money, and I try to spend my money wisely. So, again, I really am curious. Why do you guys need other programs if Fab does the job?[/QUOTE]

Many of the tools we have are actually freebies available on the web…things like DVD Identifier, Nero DiscSpeed, ImgBurn, etc. etc.

Why do we need other programs if DVDFab does the job?

Just look at the various threads…all problems…extra tools can sometimes do the job better… not to take away from DVDFab…It comes with the VSO burner built in, and I personally have never had a problem with it, yet I keep Imgburn in my toolbox, just in case…

Do you drive?

Do you keep a spare tire in your trunk?

If so, why, when the 4 installed do the job?

Have a tire iron there, too?

Why?

Not needed to drive the car or put gas in it… (or pay the mechanic to fix it…).

OC

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=OCanada;2261006]Many of the tools we have are actually freebies available on the web…things like DVD Identifier, Nero DiscSpeed, ImgBurn, etc. etc…

OC

:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, OCanada. At $60 for the ‘Pro’ version, though, DVD Next Copy sure isn’t free. It’s almost twice the price of Fab. A substantial investment to be kept simply as a ‘spare tire’ in the old tool box, so I was curious as to why y’all were willing to spend that. But in any event, as a relative newcomer here, I defer to my more learned colleagues. :bow:

You’ve moved up to CD Freaks Rookie…(I forgot about that level :o)…congratulations.

I’m not a DVDFab user, so I’ve stayed out of the discussion. But even I upgrade my free version…DVDFab HD Decrypter, just as a backup to my normal method of decrypting/ripping dvds. I almost never use it, but it helps sometimes to be familiar with the program, if for no other reason than to help in the Newbie forum.

It is possible to build up an impressive set of free tools for working with video though. If all you do is backup dvds, you probably don’t need most of them, but the free tools are quite capable of producing high quality results.

[QUOTE=rosariorose9;2260993]Not to give you a hard time, StormJumper (particularly since you ended your sentence with a smiley!), but my toolbox doesn’t contain any more tools than I actually need to get the job done. Extra tools cost extra money, and I try to spend my money wisely. So, again, I really am curious. Why do you guys need other programs if Fab does the job?[/QUOTE]

Not all programs(tools) have a cost, however
[B]DVD Shrink/B is old, outdated and no longer updated BUT I still use it for special projects
[B]ImgBurn/B is not the default burn engine for DVDFab but you have the option to use it and in my honest opinion it is the best burn engine ever created
[B]DVD Flick/B I use to convert other formats back into DVD format
[B]Magic DVD Ripper[/B] is not free but it is a program paid for when I first started doing backupsand I have a lifetime update/upgrade registration which also does converssions for mobile devices plus it has a built-in profile editor…(something DVDFab doesn’t supply for free)
[B]Roxio easy media creator[/B] is not freebut I use for my music CD’s and other CD projects which also has other useful tools
I have a few others but I’m sure you get my point :bigsmile:

ok so how do you upgrade? I purchased last night and don’t have the newier version. When I called the help line they told me to unistall dvdfab5 version and go to dvdfab.net and install new version. Is that correct? Do I have to unistall in order to get new version?

[QUOTE=texasrx;2270065]ok so how do you upgrade? I purchased last night and don’t have the newier version. When I called the help line they told me to unistall dvdfab5 version and go to dvdfab.net and install new version. Is that correct? Do I have to unistall in order to get new version?[/QUOTE]

You should not download from dvdfab.NET but rather download from dvdfab.COM here is a link for the new beta
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-6-0-0-3-beta-out-273571/

[QUOTE=texasrx;2270065]ok so how do you upgrade? I purchased last night and don’t have the newier version. When I called the help line they told me to unistall dvdfab5 version and go to dvdfab.net and install new version. Is that correct? Do I have to unistall in order to get new version?[/QUOTE]

Hey there. No you don’t have to uninstall Fab5 first. They are 2 seperate folders. Just do as StomJumper said and you can have both Fab5 and Fab6 on your desktop at the same time. That’s what I’m going to do until they come out with a stable version of Fab6. ~ Mike

Thank you StormJumper & mstone.870…Can’t wait to get home and update!! thanks again.

:slight_smile: