Do you fill the whole DVD?

vbimport

I have a bunch of 700MB movies that I need to burn to DVD. It supposedly will hold 6 movies of that size, on one DVD-R. The other night I did it and one didn’t play on my TV’s DVD player.

Is it better to leave a little space on the DVD, (say only 5 movies) or is it likely my problem is more due to the quality of the single movie that failed to record properly?

the movies are probably avi files. you will need a DivX compatible dvd player to watch them on your tv.

these can be had cheap at wal-mart just look for the DivX label on the box.

here is one i purchased recently

overall not a bad player, has played all disc ive put in it. but the response is not desirable. press a button on the remote takes 2-3 presses before the player will react and when pressing the eject button on the front of the unit takes forever to open.

[QUOTE=troy512;2150386]the movies are probably avi files. you will need a DivX compatible dvd player to watch them on your tv.

these can be had cheap at wal-mart just look for the DivX label on the box.[/QUOTE]
The TV player is DivX compatible. Only one out of the six movies failed.

the one movie is probably hd resolution, please read this
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/dvd-burning-issue-i-think-may-related-codec-255536/

[QUOTE=troy512;2150392]the one movie is probably hd resolution, please read this
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/dvd-burning-issue-i-think-may-related-codec-255536/[/QUOTE]

The thing is that all 6 of these came from the same set in a series. I don’t think that it’s likely that one is in HD. I’m gonna try my other burner, and see if I get the same result. If I do, then It’s probably the avi.

do i fill the whole dvd?

no i typically will do at most 96%, 4300 MB

if an avi file would not play because of a burn problem then it would most likely be the last movie located on the outer tracks of the dvd. but i think its safe to assume this is not the cause of your problem. [judging by your selection of quality items seen in the living room]

[QUOTE=troy512;2150410]do i fill the whole dvd?

no i typically will do at most 96%, 4300 MB

if an avi file would not play because of a burn problem then it would most likely be the last movie located on the outer tracks of the dvd. but i think its safe to assume this is not the cause of your problem. [judging by your selection of quality items seen in the living room][/QUOTE]
It was done on ImgBurn with the Samsung, and TY media. If filling it to 96% isn’t a problem then It’s probably just a defective avi. (My best guess)

does the avi play properly from the computer? what software player do you use?

i see you have a lite-on. do you know how to do quality scanning?

[QUOTE=troy512;2150414]does the avi play properly from the computer? what software player do you use?

i see you have a lite-on. do you know how to do quality scanning?[/QUOTE]

It plays on the computer. I don’t think I’ve ever tried the quality scanning on the Lite-on, unless it’s already part of it’s default setting.

If only a single movie failed, probably the culprit is the disc.

Leaving a little space free on the outer part of the disc usually is a good idea, because the most external part of the disc is the one with the higher probability to become unreadable with time.

Another possibility is that you are using poor quality discs. What discs are you using exactly? :slight_smile:

Taiyo Yuden TYG03. I tried burning to another brand with just the 1 avi that failed…and it didn’t record. So I have to conclude that the avi is the culprit.