Do "THEY" monitor ftp traffics too?

vbimport

Hi. I am not a big fan of P2P’s these days, since the threats of mpaa’s. Rather, I prefer to use FTP’s or similar things (so called “interenet web-hard drives”), to share files with others in my “community”, quite anonymously. Basically, someone stores files on the mainserver, and I download it, paying quite reasonable price to the web-hard company. Uploader or downloader do not profit from this.

Does the ISP monitor this kind of traffic too? I often download a couple of gigabytes per day.

Any traffic can and probably is monitored, or at least logged. “they” might need some official approval to search the logs, but sometimes ISPs might not consider single person individual privacy issues, more so when individuals can hardly afford the cost to fight it.

Encrypted traffic is harder to monitor. Traffic via proxy is harder to trace back.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the music and movie industry do watch out for FTP sites also and seem to be more strict about these than P2P sites since they will send out warnings even with just a few files. For example, there were warnings sent out to people who had the odd files with keywords matching an artist or song title, even though the file content had nothing to do with the actual songs.

Here are a few past news articles that may be worth reading:

RIAA claims the university was sharing out Usher’s music on its server as the keyword ‘usher’ was present in some of its FTP files.
RIAA apologizes for sending threatening letter to University

MPAA demands the removal of a 113k open-source TCL file claiming it is an X-Files season illegally shared out!
http://sc.com/~dbaker/dmca.html

So in future, just make sure you name any dodgy content as “My holiday videos” or something.

Mind you, the same idiots went after a dead Granny who never had a computer!

I bet if they could, they’ll likely still want to sue the dead Granny!

I wouldn’t sweat it.Just rename stuff.

when people wnet after music and movie andsoftware pirates individually, it went in this order:

websites- 1st downlad places
ftps: 2nd source harder to shut down, more storage
P2P: first napster, then other p2p, then users

so, websites where the first ones shut down, and ftp sites wherre also targeted and still are and often shut down, then it was p2p users targeted.

\also, it is easier to sentance someone to jail for oberating a ftp or website then it is for p2p networks once they find out who the person who runs the ftp or website is.

that is difficult because first they need to find the server, then contact the owner of the server, then ask for the site to be shut down, then go to court, then force the server to reveal the name if the server does not.

but once they know who you are, your going to jail for a long long time

Great idea, until they use the same method(if they haven’t already, elsewhere) of identification that p2p networks use to group identical files, a checksum(digital fingerprint). …I do hope they’re not smart enough to figure this out! :iagree:

This the most probable path filesharing will inevitable take sooner or later, IMO. I’d like to see these fatcats trying to brute force their way into 448 blowfish encrypted FTP/p2p traffic. They’ve won a few battles, the war they’ll never win! :bigsmile: