Do pigs fly?

Hi :slight_smile:
The title might have you wondering.
Well, recently acquired a 7203S.
I am surprised & possibly pleased to say this is the 1st NEC drive (since my 1st NEC experiences with 3520’s > ) to warrant keeping in my current setup.
Although read/rip, access, load, burst rates aren’t up to my other drives (if you exclude the BenQ 1655 edit: also the LG which I keep forgetting about :doh: ).
The burn quality is more than acceptable.
So I have other drives that are far better/faster reader/rippers.
I have one pressed DL disc that I’ve deliberately damaged & only 1 of my drives will read this. It isn’t the 7203S, although NEC chipset based.
For DL I found that I get better results with mediocre stuff from this NEC based drive too.
But the 7203S may well become my preferred drive for SL media.
Add to this I seem to be able to download L&D’s f/w :bow:.
For years I’ve had to beg others to do this.
Ironically I now use a download manager (also a 1st).

Hi zebad so what are you saying? For years you begged others to do what? It’s a crappy reader and DL burner but it’s only good for SL burning? I don’t quite understand your point here. I was thinking about purchasing this same drive. The 7203S that is.

I haven’t bought a NEC since my 3500 which still burns fine but it’s not in any of my pc’s or external enclosures anymore. My first NEC drive was a NEC 2510 which i really liked but sold to a neighbor…

[quote=Bob;2068545]Hi zebad so what are you saying? For years you begged others to do what? It’s a crappy reader and DL burner but it’s only good for SL burning? I don’t quite understand your point here. I was thinking about purchasing this same drive. The 7203S that is.

I haven’t bought a NEC since my 3500 which still burns fine but it’s not in any of my pc’s or external enclosures anymore. My first NEC drive was a NEC 2510 which i really liked but sold to a neighbor…[/quote]

My point is that the 7203S is good enough to stay in my setup.
Making it a good drive.
It is, if you have only space for one.
An acceptable reader/ripper & excellent burner.
However if you (which I know you do) like me have more than one drive.
In my experience may use other drives for reading - ripping - scanning etc.
So in my setup I use the 223 for reading/ripping.(Possibly f/w holding back this drive as a burner).
The 20A1P & 1655 for scanning (forum use only).
Leaving the Pioneer & NEC to burn.
With the likely combination of 215D for DL & 7203S for SL.
The LG for (I have no idea). :doh:

Noticed I never answered this bit.
I had to beg others to download L&D’s ( :bow: ) f/w. :eek:

Too show how good this drive is with SL media.
Despite me running several other programs at the same time. One of which is set to use 100% CPU power. :eek:
It makes me wonder if I ran CD/DVDSpeed without anything else running. How much difference would that make?
As it is, just misses qualifying for NEC HOF.

I see what you mean ([B][U]PIF total of <200[/U][/B]), better luck next time zebadee.

[QUOTE=zebadee;2068848]Hi :slight_smile:
Noticed I never answered this bit.
I had to beg others to download L&D’s ( :bow: ) f/w. :eek:[/QUOTE]ah ha i see. Probably afraid of loosing the warranty? I have drives i flashed with modded firmware the first day i got them :bigsmile:

Still not making myself clear.
I had to beg others to download the patched f/w for me. As for some reason or another I could not do it without getting crc errors when unpacking.

BTW I tried to get the sinbin extended, but apparently you were enjoying it too much. :eek: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=zebadee;2069083]Hi :slight_smile:
Still not making myself clear.
I had to beg others to download the patched f/w for me. As for some reason or another I could not do it without getting crc errors when upacking.[/QUOTE]

Glad you can DL the firmware yourself now Zeb :clap:

Lovely burn BTW :slight_smile:

Yes, the irony is that before when I had problems.
I was told not to use a DL Manager.
But I didn’t.
However now I do!!! :doh: