Do not understand burning?

vbimport

I don’t know what I am doing so I downloaded Burn4free and tried to burn Audio book to cd on Lite-on SHW-1635S YGS3. Nothing happened. It tells me it did the burn but nothing on CD. Tried Lite-On but model not shown so no update. What am I doing wrong? Anyone help, please…

It would help to know the type & file sizes you are trying to burn.
I’m not experenced with audio books but ImgBurn should be able to do this
It is like burning an Audio music CD as far as ImgBurn is concerned.
Any file you use has to fit in the time the CD has 74 minutes for example .
If a file of an audio book is longer in time than that it must be split.

Or try ashampoo free burning studio, select create image and copy to hard drive then choose burn image for writing back to disc.

Thank you for your reply. The file size is only 211 Mb and the disk is 702 Mb. Unlike music audio books are by file size not length.

[QUOTE=cholla;2663511]It would help to know the type & file sizes you are trying to burn.
I’m not experenced with audio books but ImgBurn should be able to do this
It is like burning an Audio music CD as far as ImgBurn is concerned.
Any file you use has to fit in the time the CD has 74 minutes for example .
If a file of an audio book is longer in time than that it must be split.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve33 That program sounds good. I’ll have a look.

[QUOTE=nivlem007;2663531] The file size is only 211 Mb and the disk is 702 Mb. Unlike music audio books are by file size not length.[/QUOTE]

I only have one audio book that i download a while back.
I don’t know if your’s is in the same format.
The one I have is comprised of a 448 MB folder with 41 .mp3s inside.
They vary in size from 40MB to 8.5 MB .
There is a software MediaInfo that will give the time length for each .mp3 . VLC player will also show the time length when one of the .mp3s is opened . So it is possible to calculate the length in time.
If you do an Audio CD this is necessary .
I suggested an Audio CD first because it is the most compatible with CD players like you car would have.

If your CD players are capable of reading a Data CD of .mp3s then the time length doesn’t matter & the size does . It seems like there is plenty of size room for the book you want to record to CD .
ImgBurn can burn either.

So is your Audio book in .mp3 format ?

No, It is in Audible from Amazon, and the thing is they have a whole host of names of compatible players but one I looked at was nearly $300 or about £240 and as it is for a partially sighted person in a home they would have more problems dealing with two players as hers is not compatible with Audible books. It all seems a bit of a con as they say if I join the club without the free trial they will give me money off a new MP3 player, But what I do not understand is why they have compatible things like Chevy Car, and names of players I have never heard of. Nothing like Sony etc. But hopefully someone will come up with the answer as I have now burned it to disc but cannot turn it into MP3 format.
Thanks for your help.:wink:

[QUOTE=cholla;2663576]I only have one audio book that i download a while back.
I don’t know if your’s is in the same format.
The one I have is comprised of a 448 MB folder with 41 .mp3s inside.
They vary in size from 40MB to 8.5 MB .
There is a software MediaInfo that will give the time length for each .mp3 . VLC player will also show the time length when one of the .mp3s is opened . So it is possible to calculate the length in time.
If you do an Audio CD this is necessary .
I suggested an Audio CD first because it is the most compatible with CD players like you car would have.

If your CD players are capable of reading a Data CD of .mp3s then the time length doesn’t matter & the size does . It seems like there is plenty of size room for the book you want to record to CD .
ImgBurn can burn either.

So is your Audio book in .mp3 format ?[/QUOTE]

If you open the disc in Windows Explorer are there any file extensions you can give me ?
I don’t have any Audible books from Amazon. If there are any I can download free I will see what I can do .

I have an Audio book reader that I got for free at giveawayoftheday a while back but I’ve never used it. If you haven’t been to that site their giveaway is only available on that day & usually there is no support . But it usually is a fully licensed version . You might check for a while usually things eventually come up again. I know that doesn’t help much right now.

That’s the problem it does not have a file extension as it is one of the items that they are trying to stop the people from stealing. I tried to go to right click and properties to see if I could change it, but no luck there. I will have a look on giveawayoftheday and see what that is all about. Thanks for that. :wink:

[QUOTE=cholla;2663586]If you open the disc in Windows Explorer are there any file extensions you can give me ?
I don’t have any Audible books from Amazon. If there are any I can download free I will see what I can do .

I have an Audio book reader that I got for free at giveawayoftheday a while back but I’ve never used it. If you haven’t been to that site their giveaway is only available on that day & usually there is no support . But it usually is a fully licensed version . You might check for a while usually things eventually come up again. I know that doesn’t help much right now.[/QUOTE]

@ nivlem007 , I downloaded a free Audible Audio book from Amazon since I didn’t have one . It’s extension was .aa .
I have to ask this carefully to stay within forum rules . You need to answer it the same way .
Providing you obtained this Audio book legally . Where did you get it ?

I need something to work with before I can maybe help .
Without knowing what kind of file it is I have no idea what to use to convert it to something you could burn & play.

I downloaded it from Audible Books - (Part of Amazon) as a free trial. So it is legal and I am allowed to keep the book even if I cancel the trial.

[QUOTE=cholla;2663672]@ nivlem007 , I downloaded a free Audible Audio book from Amazon since I didn’t have one . It’s extension was .aa .
I have to ask this carefully to stay within forum rules . You need to answer it the same way .
Providing you obtained this Audio book legally . Where did you get it ?

I need something to work with before I can maybe help .
Without knowing what kind of file it is I have no idea what to use to convert it to something you could burn & play.[/QUOTE]

Well, if all you want is an exact copy, Ashampoo will do that.
If you want to break it up or convert or select certain files on disc, Ashampoo would not be a good choice.

Anyway under "Create/burn disc images"
Choose “Create a Disc Image for CD/DVD.
Then the image will be on your hard drive.
Then choose “Create/burn disc images” again and then
"Burn a CD/DVD disc from a disc image”.
Then point to image on hard drive.

This procedure will make an exact disc copy of whatever you have.

Ok then your downloaded file should have the .aa file extension.

Do you have a version of Nero installed ?

If so the AudibleManager I had to install to get the Audible audio book
has an option to “Burn to CD’s with Nero” this worked & created an Audio CD .
This looks like a standard Audio CD when opened.

There is another method to convert an .aa file but it is more complicated .
If you have Nero it will be a lot simpler.

@ Steve33 , I’m not an Ashampoo fan & don’t have any of it installed .
Does it have the ability to open an .aa file & then burn it to an Audio CD ?
By Audio CD I mean one with .cda pointer files.

btw not a Nero fan either but I have Nero 9 Essentials which came free with a DVD drive I purchased.

I do not have a nero burner but if it is going to be that good I will get one. I really thank you for your help and time on this matter. It is great to know there are still good people willing to help us oldies who have trouble with the modern stuff. Thanks very much.

[QUOTE=cholla;2663707]Ok then your downloaded file should have the .aa file extension.

Do you have a version of Nero installed ?

If so the AudibleManager I had to install to get the Audible audio book
has an option to “Burn to CD’s with Nero” this worked & created an Audio CD .
This looks like a standard Audio CD when opened.

There is another method to convert an .aa file but it is more complicated .
If you have Nero it will be a lot simpler.[/QUOTE]

A great BIG thank you to all of you guys and gals who have offered help. This information will make life easier for me.

nivlem007 , For me the Audible Manager is in the Start/Programs list(using Windows Classic). It also installed a desktop icon. I had to do this before it let me download an Audible book.
You can many times find a bargain on the Nero software .
The Nero 9 Essentials software I’m using now came with a new Samsung DVD drive I bought .

I did find a way to convert the .aa file to .mp3 but installing the software & a couple of other files is somewhat involved.

There was another way suggested but I haven’t got that to work . So far.
I

OK, I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

I am not familiar with that file type.

I try to recommend freeware when possible and easier ways of doing things.

There may well be a free alternative to payware, if it were me, I would look for one.

Some payware is also bloatware.

I copied this online…likely the way I would do it.
You will need to convert the .aa to something usable like wav.

“Aa files are a proprietary audio format used by Audible to sell various audio books on their website. Converting these files to WAV is not easy, but it can be done by using a program to record the playback of an aa file directly from the sound card of your computer so there is virtually no quality loss. Make sure you give yourself enough time for the conversion because it will take as long as the duration of the audio file.”

Good luck, it is a proprietary file.

@cholla.
The reason I first recommended Ashampoo is because it is very simple.
From what little the OP stated, it appeared he only wanted to make a copy of an audio book (on cd).
Ashampoo does this very easy by first creating an image to hard drive.
Then using the image to burn back to disc within the Ashampoo program.

As usual, the OP didn’t give enough info for anyone to help since what he really wants is to convert a proprietary audio file to CD–which is a long way from what is stated in first post.

Personally, I would see if I could open it in something like audacity or some other audio or video/audio player and then record to wav.Then from that there are many progs. to burn to disc.

Steve , ImgBurn can create an .iso in much the same way . The OP nivlem007 posted he had burned it to disc but I have no idea what was actually burned to disc. If it was an .iso of the .aa file it would be as difficult to play as the file itself.

I have tried some programs like Audacity & it will open the .aa file but it won’t play it.
I think Nero which did work for creating an Audio CD with the .cda files worked the easiest. Then if .mp3 files were wanted that CD could be ripped like any Audio CD .

I will get into the other method I used to convert the .aa file I got into an .mp3 without needing to burn to a CD first. The reason I haven’t is it takes some steps .
The addition of some files that might be questionable to the softwares program file.
I didn’t want to confuse nivlem007 with too much information. As you know as we gain more experience we can do more & what seems not too complicated to us is to someone newer at this.