Do not read this unless u r very patient

If you have the burn log, could you copy & paste it in to a reply post? If not, could you launch ImgBurn, put a blank Dvd that you are using in the tray & copy & paste the info that appears in the right hand window in to a reply post? From what I have seen here, I don’t think anybody is going to give up until you have burnt a successful backup.

[QUOTE=Heatherf;1932403]Okay, I followed everything exactly and got to the point where it was saved in the proper format…YEA…BUT THEN…:sad:BUT THEN, when I tried to burn the thing it said “cannot write - medium. Incompatable format” This is so frustrating. Please don’t give up on me.[/QUOTE]

Ok, well can you tell us your hardware setup and the O/S your using? ie like what kinda burner model and firmware and the jumper setting and the DMA settings…from device manager…Also what kinda media are you using? Ie like are you going from DVD9 to DVD5? That DVD9 will not fit on DVD5 media unless you compress the DVD9 to DVD5 format which I know Clonedvd will do from DVD9 to DVD5…ie 8.4G to 4.7G format…it’s compressed but will fit onto the 4.7G media format…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1932466]Ok, well can you tell us your hardware setup and the O/S your using? ie like what kinda burner model and firmware and the jumper setting and the DMA settings…from device manager…Also what kinda media are you using? Ie like are you going from DVD9 to DVD5? That DVD9 will not fit on DVD5 media unless you compress the DVD9 to DVD5 format which I know Clonedvd will do from DVD9 to DVD5…ie 8.4G to 4.7G format…it’s compressed but will fit onto the 4.7G media format…[/QUOTE]
I have no idea what you are talking about.

[QUOTE=beef barley;1932426]If you have the burn log, could you copy & paste it in to a reply post? If not, could you launch ImgBurn, put a blank Dvd that you are using in the tray & copy & paste the info that appears in the right hand window in to a reply post? From what I have seen here, I don’t think anybody is going to give up until you have burnt a successful backup.[/QUOTE]
_NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A 2.15 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,298,496
Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: SONY16D1

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: 0@P-!-00
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,495,103
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Hey Heatherf
You’re still having some problems?

Your burner is a fairly old one, not ancient, but it may not recognize these new 16x disks you’ve got. The firmware in a drive has to have the particular media listed within, or the drive will try to write with a generic writing strategy and you usually get a poor burn.

Have you been able to write to the disks at all? Even with just a data backup of some sort?

[QUOTE=Kerry56;1932552]Hey Heatherf
You’re still having some problems?

Your burner is a fairly old one, not ancient, but it may not recognize these new 16x disks you’ve got. The firmware in a drive has to have the particular media listed within, or the drive will try to write with a generic writing strategy and you usually get a poor burn.

Have you been able to write to the disks at all? Even with just a data backup of some sort?[/QUOTE]
You’re right. I can’t burn anything. It gives me the error “cannot write - medium. Incompatable format” then it says "Illegal request"
Does that mean it is not me:bigsmile:
Does that mean I can’t back these up:(

[QUOTE=Heatherf;1932533]_NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A 2.15 (ATA)
[/QUOTE]That was my first burner. My neighbor still uses it. It’s life is probably over.

If you can try it in another pc that would help to see if it’s good or not.

If you can find some older 8X media you might try them. I have no idea if those discs are in the firmware support.

Your best bet is to find some 8x Verbatims locally.

I would advise getting Taiyo Yuden 8x disks online, but they may not arrive soon enough. If you are interested, look at rima.com, but you’d have to buy a 100 count cakebox. Excellent media for virtually any burner though.

Sorry you’ve run into a brick wall here.

Well, you people are awe-some!:bow: Thanks for all your help. I have to tell you how glad I am that it is my equipment and not me. I’ve spent two weeks messing with this. I’m off to Canada and will buy a new dvd burner when I get back. Any suggestions?
Thanks again. You are so kind to take the time to help someone you don’t even know. :clap:

The newest firmware version for that drive is 2.19:)

http://forum.rpc1.org

Another way you can check for a firmware update is ImgBurn / Tools / Drive / Check for Firmware Updates. If you choose to flash, do it from safe mode with no disc in drive. Even if you buy a new burner, you would have nothing to lose flashing the older NEC & trying it. BTW O/S = Operating System, Windows XP for example.

[QUOTE=beef barley;1932580]Another way you can check for a firmware update is ImgBurn / Tools / Drive / Check for Firmware Updates. If you choose to flash, do it from safe mode with no disc in drive. Even if you buy a new burner, you would have nothing to lose flashing the older NEC & trying it. BTW O/S = Operating System, Windows XP for example.[/QUOTE]
What is “flashing”

Flashing is the process of upgrading your firmware in your dvd drive. Usually a safe process, as long as you don’t lose power during the flash. Your drive is so old though, I doubt it would help to upgrade. On the other hand, you certainly have nothing to lose at this point.

Newer firmware will have writing strategies for the newer media at the time the firmware is released. Manufacturers quit releasing new firmware for drives after only a short time, so older burners are not able to burn new disks as they come onto the market.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;1932596]Flashing is the process of upgrading your firmware in your dvd drive. Usually a safe process, as long as you don’t lose power during the flash. Your drive is so old though, I doubt it would help to upgrade. On the other hand, you certainly have nothing to lose at this point.

Newer firmware will have writing strategies for the newer media at the time the firmware is released. Manufacturers quit releasing new firmware for drives after only a short time, so older burners are not able to burn new disks as they come onto the market.[/QUOTE]
Again, thank-you

Just checked out the flashing deal. Sounds scary. There is a big WARNING at the top of the page '[B]These pages are only for advanced users. Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively. Read carefully the installation notes of your firmware before you upgrade. The Firmware Page and the drive manufacturer can’t be responsable on REMEMBER: This is at your own risk!!![/B] "

As we all know by now, I am nowhere near an advanced user. It then says
(posted May 2004) [B]NEC ND-2510A[/B] - [U]2.05[/U], [U]2.06[/U], [U]2.0A[/U] / [U]2.15[/U], [U]2.16[/U], [U]2.17[/U], [U]2.18[/U], [U]2.19[/U] / [U]3.26[/U] (Iodata OEM) / [U]2.96[/U] (fujitsu OEM) / [U]2.F7[/U], [U]2.F9[/U] (Mad Dog OEM) / [U]205C[/U] (Dell OEM)
Version 2.15 is the same as 2.05, but 2.05 sets the booktype of +R DL discs to -ROM by default. Use 2.16 if your drive has 2.15 or use 2.06 if your drive has 2.05.

[B]Beta[/B] Region Free (RPC-1) firmware is available [U]here[/U]. Patched by The Dangerous Brothers.
RPC-2

I have the 2:15 (right) so then what do I do and if I do this and screw up will it just screw up the DVD drive or my whole computer?

You need to use version 2.19. Just follow the screen by screen instructions in the upgrade. Do not do it during a thunderstorm.

If it messes anything up, it will only be the drive and not your PC.

[QUOTE=Heatherf;1932633]Just checked out the flashing deal. Sounds scary. There is a big WARNING at the top of the page '[B]These pages are only for advanced users. Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively. Read carefully the installation notes of your firmware before you upgrade. The Firmware Page and the drive manufacturer can’t be responsable on REMEMBER: This is at your own risk!!![/B] "

As we all know by now, I am nowhere near an advanced user. It then says
(posted May 2004) [B]NEC ND-2510A[/B] - [U]2.05[/U], [U]2.06[/U], [U]2.0A[/U] / [U]2.15[/U], [U]2.16[/U], [U]2.17[/U], [U]2.18[/U], [U]2.19[/U] / [U]3.26[/U] (Iodata OEM) / [U]2.96[/U] (fujitsu OEM) / [U]2.F7[/U], [U]2.F9[/U] (Mad Dog OEM) / [U]205C[/U] (Dell OEM)
Version 2.15 is the same as 2.05, but 2.05 sets the booktype of +R DL discs to -ROM by default. Use 2.16 if your drive has 2.15 or use 2.06 if your drive has 2.05.

[B]Beta[/B] Region Free (RPC-1) firmware is available [U]here[/U]. Patched by The Dangerous Brothers.
RPC-2

I have the 2:15 (right) so then what do I do and if I do this and screw up will it just screw up the DVD drive or my whole computer?[/QUOTE]

Felt exactly the same way, just over 2 years ago when I not only flashed for the first time, but had only been using computers for a week or so & knew next to nothing about them. Took a while to decide to do it & ended up holding my breath through the whole process, (I think I still do). If you follow the instructions & do it from safe mode with no disc in the drive, you should be okay, but yes there are no guarantees. At this point you have nothing to lose with this drive, short of looking for some Verbatim or TY 4X, maybe 8X blank media.

Okay decided to take a leap of faith. I am in safe mode, I downloaded the file but when I unzipped it there were two files they seem to be the same but one is dated earlier than the other which do I double click on or do I have to do both?

Run K251GN90.exe [U]only[/U] to install 2.19 firmware. :slight_smile:

I downloaded 2.19 from the link in your post #35 just to look at it. From the instructions, it seems that K251GN90.exe is used to update from firmware 2.15 and above. From an earlier post, it looks like you have 2.15 in the drive now, so that is the one I would use.

Edit: Cressida beat me to posting by a huge margin…and he always seems to be right around here, so I’m glad I agree with him :bigsmile: