Do not read this unless u r very patient

Do not read this unless u r very patient

Every year at this time I make copies of our DVDs to take with us to Canada for the holidays. It has never been a big deal…I used roxio disc copier, put the dvd in the d drive, it copied the movie and instructed me to put in a blank dvd and voila…a copy for the road. THIS YEAR…I am near tears.:sad: I can’t make a copy to save my freaking life. I am not the most computer literate person in the world, I admit but why could I do it last year and not now?
I have been messing with this for over a week now and we are leaving on Tues the 20th. I have tried DVDFAB, anydvd, daemon (not even sure what that is but I got crazed) cloneDVD, dvdshrink and of course Roxio. I have downloaded the movies onto my hard drive and don’t know what the files I am looking at are. Some of them appear to be empty.
What I need is one very kind, very patient person to walk me through this. I need someone who can talk to me as if they were talking to a five year old because I have read too much in the past week and am totally confused.:confused:
My family keeps telling me to forget it, that with the time I have wasted we could just buy new DVDs but I can’t let it go.
Any takers?:flower:

Heatherf - from your post it sounds like you are asking us to help you burn downloaded movies that can otherwise be purchased. We cannot do this and if that is the case then I’m going to ask you to read the rules again that you signed up to.

If you are really having trouble backing up your legally-purchased DVDs, then we can help.

Please make it clear how we should proceed.

I don’t know imkidd. The way I interpret her post, she is trying to make backups so she doesn’t have to take the original disks on the trip and potentially screw them up. Her use of the term “downloaded” I think is misapplied and she meant ripped, since she is using tools like DVDShrink, DVDFab and Anydvd.

I’ll wait for her to clarify this before trying to help though.

No, no…I already bought these movies I just like to have a copy the kids can take in the car, they tend to make a mess of them and I like to have a library of Movies. So I just want to back up movies that I have purchased. Not trying to rip anyone off or steal.

OK [B]Heatherf [/B]that’s fine and let’s go…

Thanks [B]Kerry56[/B] and I see how there’s two or three points that I misinterpreted.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you were ripping someone off. The action of moving the video from the dvd to the hard drive is called ripping. The term also applies to transferring music from a cd to a hard drive.

I can try to help, but really, if you use AnyDVD to break the encryption, then you can use DVDShrink to reduce the size of the video to fit a dvdr. And the guides on the net for Shrink are probably better than I can explain here. Look at the interactive guides at www.dvdshrink.info

To use AnyDVD, just start it up before inserting the dvd into the drive. It should run automatically to break the encryption for you. DVDShrink will think the dvd is unencrypted at that point.

If you’d rather me try to work through it step by step, I can try that too. Just post back.

Kerry, Thanks I will use the guides at dvdshrink and try again but I may be back.

[QUOTE=Heatherf;1931697]Kerry, Thanks I will use the guides at dvdshrink and try again but I may be back.[/QUOTE]Well at least let us know how it went please :slight_smile:

Okay, I feel really stupid here. Everything I read says how easy this should be and I follow each step and nothing is working. I did the shrink thing and then went to dvdclone…when I went to the file I shrank it to (okay I know I don’t know the terms) there were two to choose from audio_ts and video_ts neither worked.

Trying to do something you are not familiar with can be frustrating, but don’t get down. There are plenty of people around here who can help.

Let’s start from scratch. Start up AnyDVD. Put your dvd in the drive and let AnyDVD break encryption. Keep AnyDVD running in the background.
Now, start DVDShrink. Hit Open Disc.

DVDShrink will do a preliminary analysis of the dvd. When it is done, you need to look at what all you want included. I usually uncheck the boxes with foreign language subtitles and foreign language audio streams. Now hit Backup.

This will open a new window. Look at your target line. At the end of the line will be an arrow that you can hit to get a drop down list of targets. I want you to change your target to ISO Image file. Once you have done that, look at the top of this little window you’re in. You’ll see a tab called Quality Settings. Click on it.

In Quality Settings, you need to put a check in both boxes that you see—Deep Analysis and the quality enhancements. If they are greyed out, don’t worry about it. It just means you aren’t compressing the movie. But check them if you can.

You are now ready to compress the movie. Hit OK and let Shrink go to work.

You will get an ISO file of your movie once Shrink has done its thing. So now, we’re going to burn this file to your dvd. You can do this with Roxio, but I prefer a free burning program called ImgBurn. Download ImgBurn at www.imgburn.com Turn off AnyDVD at this point. Remove the original dvd and replace it with a blank dvdr. Start ImgBurn.

In ImgBurn it says please select a file. Hit the little folder icon at the end of this line and look on your hard drive and find the ISO file you just made. Open it with ImgBurn and click ok. Set your burning speed (I recommend 8x for 8x or 16x speed disks) Then click on the big disk icon to start the burning process.

That should be it.

:flower:Thanks…I will let you know how it goes. You are a kind and generous person.

Hi Kerry56…I’m back. Well it didn’t work. Don’t know what I did wrong. I was doing great right up until I hit the little folder in imbburn. I found the file but it was that Audio_TS and Video_TS. I clicked on the video one and the error came up that said “ISO write is for burning images not Video_TS. Switch to ISO build mode, add your video_TS folder to the list and then create an image.”:confused:

I didn’t want to do anything because it took so long to get this far I didn’t want to mess it up.:eek:

What do I do now?:bow:

You said you used Roxio copier did you install this before or after installing Anydvd? Also can you tell us the version you are using? Also what kinda of media are you using and what is your hardware setup? Roxio has been known to cause issues with other decrypter software ie Anydvd…why, I am not sure…maybe is competition…Have you just tried with Roxio uninstalled? Then use Anydvd with Clonedvd to see if you can copy the dvd? Did you also updated Roxio during this process when you had this problem? What O/S are you using as well?

[QUOTE=Heatherf;1931917]Hi Kerry56…I’m back. Well it didn’t work. Don’t know what I did wrong. I was doing great right up until I hit the little folder in imbburn. I found the file but it was that Audio_TS and Video_TS. I clicked on the video one and the error came up that said “ISO write is for burning images not Video_TS. Switch to ISO build mode, add your video_TS folder to the list and then create an image.”:confused:

I didn’t want to do anything because it took so long to get this far I didn’t want to mess it up.:eek:

What do I do now?:bow:[/QUOTE]

Your almost there read this guide it will get you to the “yea I’ve burned a movie” place.

The video_ts and audio_ts are the two folders that will be present on the final dvd, imgburn needs them as a image file, imgburn can create a image file for you.

Follow this guide to creating a image with imgburn

EDIT… damn, tgidday got there a second or so before me.

Are you sure you changed the target to an ISO image file in Shrink? If you are sure, the file should be on the hard drive and ImgBurn can handle it directly. Which is why I recommended this path.

Perhaps you are looking at the files you made previously? Look in the Video_TS folder and it should have files that look like VTS_01_0, Video_TS.IFO, Video_TS.BUP, etc.

In any case, if you want to use this Video_TS folder, you can burn it with ImgBurn. Its just a little different path. Open ImgBurn. At the top it has a line with File View Mode Output Tools etc.
Click on Mode. This gives you a list of modes, so click on Build.

Now, the window in ImgBurn has changed. Look for the little folder icon. Click on it and go to the Video_TS folder. Click on the Video_TS folder now and it should show up in the little box next to the folder icon.

One more step At the top look at Output. Click on that and change to Device.

Over on the right hand side you should look through the tabs, Device Options Labels. Set them the way you want, including burning speed. Now click on the big disk icon and it will burn to the blank disk you have in your dvd burner. If you didn’t set a volume label, ImgBurn will suggest one for you. Go ahead and agree with it, and it will begin the burning process.

Post back if you run into another problem.

Edit: Very slow at posting

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;1931935]The video_ts and audio_ts are the two folders that will be present on the final dvd, imgburn needs them as a image file, imgburn can create a image file for you.

Follow this guide to creating a image with imgburn

EDIT… damn, tgidday got there a second or so before me.
[/QUOTE]

OT: My light saber has bigger batteries-LOL

This would be what is meant by saving as an ISO Image File after you click backup.

[QUOTE=Heatherf;1931917]Hi Kerry56…I’m back. Well it didn’t work. Don’t know what I did wrong. I was doing great right up until I hit the little folder in imbburn. I found the file but it was that Audio_TS and Video_TS. I clicked on the video one and the error came up that said “ISO write is for burning images not Video_TS. Switch to ISO build mode, add your video_TS folder to the list and then create an image.”:confused:

What do I do now?:bow:[/QUOTE]

Ok so since you said you also had clonedvd did you try that program as well to see what the results was???

Okay, I followed everything exactly and got to the point where it was saved in the proper format…YEA…BUT THEN…:sad:BUT THEN, when I tried to burn the thing it said “cannot write - medium. Incompatable format” This is so frustrating. Please don’t give up on me.