Do LiteOn 166s drives have problems?

vbimport

I need some help if you guys would be kind enough:

I just bought a LiteOn 166s brand new and the drive will not let me copy an audio CD. I’ve tried multiple CDs and any audio CD I put in there gets detected as a DVD+RW! So I can’t copy it since it expects me to put a DVD+RW in my burner. If I do the copy all on my burner it works fine. It’s just the LiteOn that thinks any audio CDs are DVD+RWs.

I figured I had a bad drive so I returned it and got a new one…nope, same exact thing.

Two bad drives in a row? I’ve heard good things about LiteOn before but this is kind of frustrating.

Any ideas?

Must be your software or other problem. maybe you could give more info. The 166s is excellent for extracting audio.

I just put the audio CD in the L166s and a blank CD-R in my 52246s burner. When I try to copy the CD, the dialog box shows the L166s says it thinks it has a DVD+RW in it.

Source shows DVD+RW, target shows CD-R, so I get prompted to insert the correct target media.

I flashed the L166s to the latest firmware but it already had it on it from the factory. Same with both L166s drives I tried.

I can copy just fine if I let the 52246s do both the rip and burn.

My own 166s rips audio like mad. Have you tried CDDAE for ripping to HD? Free download at www.cdspeed2000.com
See if it’ll rip to HD any better.

Well I can rip just fine, it’s just copying audio CDs that gives the problem. For some reason, the 166s doesn’t work with Disc Copier in Easy CD Creator. It’s really strange because other apps seem to work fine with the drive. Nero works great, Clone CD, etc.

Easy CD Creator

Not really the tool of choice for audio CD’s.

Nero works great

Take the hint! :wink:

Do you really think Easy CD Creator is the problem? Because I’d like to fix the root problem, not just ignore it and use another application.

I agree, I prefer Nero, but this is for my parents’ use and I’m trying to give them something a little more user-friendly. I just upgraded their system for them and my folks are already comfortable with Easy CD Creator since they’ve been using it for a couple of years.

Anyone have any ideas? Firmware maybe? Although the firmware is already up to date. Are there any known issues with the 166s?

Would it make sense to try an older firmware? Can this be done, flashing to an older version?

Nero Express is very user friendly.

I wish someone would answer my questions rather than telling me how great Nero is.

It is not that Nero is that great, it is that EZ CD Creator is not very good. (Nero is great by the way)

you’ve already answered your own question, sorry if you don’t like your answer:

< doesn’t work with Disc Copier in Easy CD Creator

< Nero works great

There isn’t anything else to add, there’s nothing wrong with your drive. Updating firmware and software might help, or might not. Since it appears that the drive was installed after SleasyCD, you might try re-installing that.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]you’ve already answered your own question, sorry if you don’t like your answer:

< doesn’t work with Disc Copier in Easy CD Creator

< Nero works great [/B]

No one even addressed the questions I asked about firmware.

Would it make sense to try an older firmware? Can this be done, flashing to an older version?

I can hardly believe it but I found the exact answer on this forum:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67303

Looks like the latest LiteOn firmware for the 166S is buggy.

Now I just need to figure out how to flash to an older version.

Thanks to Toddlizzle for figuring this out. Looks like he took some shit for posting that info, what is the problem with the people in this forum?

Amazing what can happen when you use the search button…

Originally posted by PetePeters
[B]I can hardly believe it but I found the exact answer on this forum:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67303

Looks like the latest LiteOn firmware for the 166S is buggy.

Now I just need to figure out how to flash to an older version.

Thanks to Toddlizzle for figuring this out. Looks like he took some shit for posting that info, what is the problem with the people in this forum? [/B]

1. People should really try using Mr. Search before bitching about how nobody’s answering their questions.
  2. There’s nothing wrong w/ this forum and its people, the problem is there are too many people like ones in #1.
  3. Toddlizzle is the typical hit and run newbie who installs some trashy software, in this case EZ CD for J6P, and complains to the whole world why the hardware’s not working, when all he has to do is uninstall the POS and install Nero.

Stoner, take a chill pill go burn a doob. :bigsmile:
Actually, Pete is correct in that there is another thread on this subject, and he IS the one who found it.
However, as is clear in that thread, and this one, the issue is with the Roxio product, not with the firmware. I say this because the firmware appears to work with all other burning applications. I know becaue I’m using it in several. It would appear that Roxio is seeing the drive as something other than what it is.
If using a different firmware heals the issue, then that’s a workaround for the problem, (not a fix).
It’s also true that Roxio is crappy software, and it’s also true that Nero Express is the most user friendly burner application there is.
So everyone here is correct. I build and maintain several systems for family members, and would never install Roxio on those systems because I know I’ll be fiddling with it untill I die. I highly recommend Nero Express for the “truly dumb” family members who manage to screw up everything. I don’t think we have ever seen a thread here on Express, so either it’s great or nobody is using it.

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
Must be your software or other problem. maybe you could give more info. The 166s is excellent for extracting audio.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Lo and behold, my post actually helped someone! That feels good.

Pete–there was a problem with Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and the LiteOn 166S drives using the DS14 firmware. There is a new update for the CD Creator engine and for Creator Classic that resolves the issue.

I’ll also second the opinion on Nero Express. I just upgraded my parents to XP and told them they’d have to get used to Nero, because Roxio was not working correctly with their burner under XP. If your folks can use Roxio, I bet they’ll be ok with Nero Express.

Now, to Stoner–judging by your name, I would think you’d be a little more mellow. Nevertheless, I will say it once more: I do not use Roxio. Get it through your head. I typically use Nero, CCD or EAC. And I am not a “hit and run newbie” as you stated. I may not post often, but I am active here. I’ve been a long time lurker, and I only post when I have a real reason to.

I really didn’t want to go this far with an explanation, but since you keep attacking me for having any knowledge whatsoever regarding Roxio products…I am familiar with Roxio because my job is to evaluate hardware & software products and I also create and support the WinXP images for my firm’s use. We have 40,000 users in North America and over 80% of them are mobile users. The majority of our laptops are Toshibas with DVD/CD-RW combo drives. We also have a firm license to install Easy CD Creator and DirectCD as part of our XP images. Bear in mind how much politics plays in business decisions when you are licensing in that kind of volume, especially when that much of that business is consulting. Not only do you have to keep users happy, but clients and managers too. If I’d had a choice to make, I may have recommended Nero, but it never even came to that. C’est la vie.

Anyway, I do feel good that my post seems to have been appreciated and helpful. Isn’t that what this forum is all about?

Originally posted by Toddlizzle
Anyway, I do feel good that my post seems to have been appreciated and helpful. Isn’t that what this forum is all about?

Yup.