Do I need to format the DVD+R's like the DVD+RW's?

I am trying to backup my girls dvds to take in the car so the originals will not get damaged but this is my problem While learning how to copy them I was using a DVD+RW for test purposes and now that I know how to back them up I burned one to a DVD+R with no luck even tried a couple of more just to make sure it wasnt a bad DVD but all three will not work in any players. What to do ?

Do I need to format the DVD+R’s like the DVD+RW’s ?

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by bambam4771

all three will not work in any players. What to do ?

Do I need to format the DVD+R’s like the DVD+RW’s ?

Nothing. Either those are coasters and there’s nothing you can do about it
or you should try them in a different standalone player.
It’s known that some standalone players are very picky when it comes to DVDRs.
My old Panasonic was one such.

They are not playable in your PC DVD-writer either, are they ?
What media/brand is it ?

As for your 2nd question, no, you cannot format them as DVD+RWs.

They are not playable in your PC DVD-writer either, are they ?

No they are not but the DVD+RW is

What media/brand is it ?

They are Memorex and from doing some looking I see this could be a problem with them !!

They are Memorex and from doing some looking I see this could be a problem with them !!
Well, not quite right.
If as you say your media is Memorex DVD+R, then it’s [COLOR=blue]RICOHJPNR018, which is one of the best on the market.

I’m afraid the problem is somewhere else - the software, the burner ( ? ). [/COLOR]

Are you doing exactly the same procedure with the Memorex+R media as with the DVD+RW media?

As Boskin said, the media you are using are good, but using other media wont hurt.

Are you doing exactly the same procedure with the Memorex+R media as with the DVD+RW media?

Yes I am!!!

The burner is also Memorex Dual Format

Using AnyDVD and CloneDVD softwares to Backup

The burner burns to these DVD’s fine as long as its just data I backed up all of my import files onto one just to see if it would work and it did burnt just fine so it looks like its just movies!

Any ideas change of software?

CloneDVD/AnyDVD is a great combo so I don’t think it’s software.

Guys, AFAIK Memorex uses different supplies for their media ranging from great to mediocre, so you are not guaranteed to have a good batch or the same type every time.

Use DVDInfoPro or DVDIdentifier to scan the disc and post back the media code.
Go here (skip the Kprobe section because it only works with LiteOn driver) and scroll down the area on DVDInfoPro & DVDIdentifier to see how to get the media code.

Using AnyDVD and CloneDVD softwares to Backup

Any ideas change of software?
No, no need to do that - I got the same stuff here.

bambam4771, your media can easily be identified by LiteOn’s [COLOR=blue]SmartBurn 3.17

Why don’t you get Taiyo Yuden DVD-R instead and see how it work with your writer.
TY would never let me down.

[/COLOR] 10 Pack Taiyo Yuden 4X DVD-R

Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 4.7GB 4X $1.68 ea.100-Pack

besides the possibility of bad media, the issue might be as simple as the dvd player not supporting playback of dvd+r, while supporting dvd+rw.

Really? I thought all players that supported +RW supported +R.
I’ve only heard of the opposite, where a player won’t play +RW but can play +R.

yep, you can find one example here.

edit: i just noticed the OP said the dvd+rs aren’t readable in the dvd burner either, in which case it would seem to definitely be a burning/quality issue.