Do I need to delete SiS IDE Controller? If so, is this all I do?

vbimport

I found this post, saying to delete the SiS IDE controller and once I do that and reboot, it will be replaced with a Standard MS IDE Controller. Is this correct? So all I need to do is highlight this below and either press delete or just right click my mouse to uninstall, then reboot? (This is for an ECS M863G mobo.)

I’m thinking that method might have worked for me in the past. :iagree:

The thing is I don’t have bad DVD burns now, but I just wonder if deleting that SiS IDE controller and getting it to roll back to an MS IDE one wouldn’t help me out. I keep reading about it (albeit with Intel Ultra ATA Storage Controllers and nVidia-based IDE drivers, though those steps are slightly different from this) and wanted to see if anyone had done this exact procedure with a similar system with a SiS IDE controller.

To provide additional details that might help, here’s screenshots of the SiS PCI IDE controller:

From the last pic, the driver is already MS driver.

Thanks, Zevia. I saw it said Microsoft, but was confused that it still said the “SiS PCI IDE controller”:confused: Perhaps I shouldn’t get so confused over something that is possibly simple in reality, but while I can work with hardware and understand basic things, some-many of the more complex ideas throw me. Now, if this were a foreign language, that’s one of my talents…but alas, it’s a little more complex than that to me.

Thanks again…I was just looking to see if that might be a way to improve my burns (yes, I’ve had largely good ones, but I still wanted to be sure). Thanks for being gentle and for checking. :wink: :iagree: :bigsmile:

And also thanks for the tip about the enhanced editor. :wink:

Quema34 You can try to roll back to STD MS IDE controllers but like zevia says you already have STD drivers. Probably won’t change anything.

No problem Quema… and wassup crossg? :slight_smile:

When I looked under that, this is what I got. The Primary Channel also looks the same. I’ll just post the pic for posterity (LOL), as I didn’t find any Ultra ATA storage controllers under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers…

Hey zevia you know if we give this guy too much info he may use it against us when he gets a BenQ.:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :cool:
Thanks for the update in the Dare thread.
@Quema. The SIS PCI Controllers are the equivelent of Intels Ultra ATA controllers. Stay away from lightning storms. LOL:eek:

Yeesh…this is my 3rd modem. This last one I had running through a surge protector that was built into a better surge protector/power bar, but that didn’t help. Fried the modem just enough. SAMS had a USRobotics v.92 56K modem for $17, but they must have sold out, then made it an 'inactive item, ’ thereby cancelling it. I found one at WalMart for $29.83 + tax and installation was a snap (only 20 minutes). One of my Brazilian friends suggested I buy a No-Brek surge protector, but it must only be made in Brazil and not distributed in the US… What’s really sad is that I was already shutting down and disconnecting everything soon after the first bit of thunder sounded. :sad: It’s funny how I do my best to take care of my stuff, but I still get bitten or “SOL” as you might say. :stuck_out_tongue: In general, I stay away from lightning storms, but you wouldn’t know it if you saw my hair first thing in the morning–looks like lightning strikes me every night! LOL

Well, believe me, I’m getting antsy for a BenQ, but with my system I really need the 1640’s better cooling. I wouldn’t have the resources to get into any ‘dare threads,’ but it would be nice to see that BenQ do better burning MCC003 than my 716a. I’ve even looked for a 1620 from local retailers (in case of needing exchange, because I’ve read about the chip problem that can cause premature failure, that unfortunately seems to still be sold by even NewEgg and others in some cases), but no one around here has them. That’s the disadvantage of living in ‘backwater USA.’ :eek:

SIS is a PCI IDE controller card, isn’t it? If so SIS being the brand using MS IDE drivers.

SIGH

Ok, let’s cover a few things:

1. SiS, unlike nVidia and Intel, makes perfectly usable IDE drivers.

2. If you’re not having a problem, why fuck with it?

3. The drivers you have installed are ALREADY the “MS Standard” ones. Windows just recognizes that it’s a SiS controller.

So, if you WANT, you could install the SiS drivers from SiS’s site. But you needn’t bother unless you are having some kind of problem.

They still sell 56K modem in the US? :stuck_out_tongue:

@Zevia

Yes, and so long as the people’s idea of ‘high speed internet’ around here is nothing near true DSL/Cable speeds, I hope they keep selling them. Many people around here are still on dial-up, as even where they offer high-speed access, it’s through the roof.

@Gurm

1. Very good to know. I had read elsewhere that for some reason that SiS IDE drivers could still possibly cause some trouble

2. True, I wasn’t technically having a problem, but I just wanted to check. More pairs of eyes are better than just my 4. :stuck_out_tongue:

3. Thanks for clearing that up. :bigsmile:

Thanks for stopping by, reading and sharing your information. This should make it a little easier to search for in the future for anyone with my same doubts (that have now been neatly dispelled, thanks to everyone’s contributions). :bigsmile:

I have over 50 56K modems. Will ship them all in a box for a large-size pizza and 2 liter cola. :slight_smile: (Or a box of diapers should do as well.) :bigsmile:

Take Kenshin’s offer Quema! Then you need not to worry about ligthning anymore! LOL.

LOL. Well, to be fairer, I’d have to ship him closer to 10 large pizzas and 10 2-liters of cola or 10 boxes of diapers. But I could just imagine how much the shipping might run to get it there in hours. If it once cost me $40 USD for UPS 3-day international shipping on a $60 medical dictionary from Spain and Agent 009 said it would have cost him $60 USD for shipping a BenQ1640 from Taiwan…oof… :stuck_out_tongue:

@ crossg

Thx for that on the “SIS PCI Controllers are the equivelent of Intels Ultra ATA controllers” I didn’t know that, so that’s a 'new wrinkle on my horn." :stuck_out_tongue:

Free bonus: ISDN modem, ADSL modem, some 100Mbps switching hubs… :slight_smile:

Hey Kenshin, he can’t use the bonus. He’s still on 56K modem! But if you offer him BenQ 1640 as the bonus maybe he will think twice. :slight_smile:

Hm. I don’t have a 1640 yet. :frowning:

And I have five 100Mbps LAN ports at this apartment so I don’t need ISDN or ADSL for myself. I keep them for hmmmmm just the same reason I keep some of my ISA VGA and AT keyboards? :slight_smile:

Interactive satellite TVs are also very slow. They are probably just like computers on TVs over satellite. Better maybe to have TVs on computers over FTTH.