Do I need nero?

Hi all,

I think my old Sony DRU-720A has died - can’t reliably burn DVD±R, can’t burn DVD-RW at all (tried burning under Win XP and linux - neither work). So I’m about to go buy a new DVD burner.

My Sony came with Nero (keyed to the drive so now useless) which I installed but rarely directly, but I’m not sure if I needed Nero for any reason. Does installing Nero provide some services/support to other apps (DVD-Shrink for example)?

Hi and Welcome!

there is no need to have Nero installed, unless you want it.
Some softwares used Nero’s burning engine, but this can be configured, normally. A good, free burning application is ImgBurn.

Since your Nero version is now obsolete, you should make sure it is completely uninstalled. Additionally, run the Clean Tool available from nero.com

Michael

Thanks for the quick response mciahel/michael.
I’ll save some money and buy a $20 DVD burner and use imgburn instead.

yeah, ImgBurn (MODE > BUILD (then OPTIONS > File System > ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF)… this is what you want to set it to if your burning basic data discs) is pretty much all you need for basic DVD burning.

if you still burn AUDIO CD’s i recommend another FREE application called Burrrn.

p.s. Nero’s pretty much bloated nowadays… the last good version of Nero was Version6… besides ImgBurn is better and it’s FREE so i stopped using Nero probably a couple years ago or so now.

I just checked and my version of Nero was 6. I couldn’t find a “clean tool” on the nero site for nero 6 so I just uninstalled. As soon as I get my new drive (a $22.00 Liteon) I’ll get imgburn and go from there.

Thanks for all the help to both of you.

[QUOTE=sprinklemeelmo;2223079]I just checked and my version of Nero was 6. I couldn’t find a “clean tool” on the nero site for nero 6 so I just uninstalled. As soon as I get my new drive (a $22.00 Liteon) I’ll get imgburn and go from there.

Thanks for all the help to both of you.[/QUOTE]

You have to look under the support download tools. A little looking will help your problem.

http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html#tab4