Do I need an ISO folder backup for ANY DVD?

Hello Again:

At work yesterday, I happened to mention to one of the guys in our computer services I was going to download the ANY DVD. He said, “Oh. I use it all the time. Great software. You’ll need an ISO folder too. You can download that free.”

Oh Great! The guys on the forum didn’t tell me about that but maybe this fellow knows something the forum guys don’t. So my question is, what is this ISO software about? Is he doing something different? Or maybe he does this extra step for a specific kind of DVD copy. I din’t tell him I was getting help from the forum.
BTW I checked into the use of the Visa Gift card. I called their 1-800-675-7948 and went to their website as well. I talked to a fellow in the Panama City office. He says there is no problem.

However not all cars are equal. I called the American Express Gift card service and their cards are only good in the USA,Vergin Islands, and Porto Rico.

Katz

You don’t need really an ISO software, because AnyDVD is already able to rip an entire disc on your HDD.

To make a 1:1 copy of a DL disc, however, is suggested to use a software able to extract all the original disc contents as ISO file, to retain the correct information about the Layer Break. One of the best options is ImgBurn (a free software).

Originally Posted by old.katz
Hi Geno888:
You sent me the following:
You don’t need really an ISO software, because AnyDVD is already able to rip an entire disc on your HDD.

To make a 1:1 copy of a DL disc, however, is suggested to use a software able to extract all the original disc contents as ISO file, to retain the correct information about the Layer Break. One of the best options is ImgBurn (a free software).

What do you mean by 1:1 copy of a DL disc. I am not familiar with the computer that much. All these abbreviations blow me away. The DVD I want to copy has 12 30min lectures on it. The files are VOB whatever that means. Can I just run the ANT dVD and The DVD shrink without any other software?

Katz

Sorry for not being more precise :flower:

DL discs are the so-called Dual Layer discs, i.e. DVD containing two overlapped layers that can be burned with data. Most of DVD video nowadays are DL discs.

If you want create a 1:1 copy (i.e. a perfectly identical copy) of a data disc, then the best option is to make a copy of the original disc is to use a software like ImgBurn in “Read mode”, save an ISO file in HDD, and then burn the ISO file on a blank disc again with ImgBurn.

You can use also DVD Shrink to create the ISO, but for DL discs the best option is ImgBurn.

DVD Shrink is the best option only if you need to remove some unwanted contents from the original disc before to burn on a blank disc.

Thanks for the clarity.
Katz

I guess you are still on your lectures.
If you have all VOB files on your hard drive, load them into DVD Shrink and cut them into each lecture or compress it to fit single layer DVD(4.7GB),your choice.
You do not need any ISO software. If you use AnyDVD to rip, it will rip full DVD(1:1). You can also select “Movie Only”, but do not do this in your case. If than you use ImgBurn to burn, it will find appropriate layer brake on its own.
This is only if you want to burn double layer DVD (8.4GB)

Thanks CDuncle:

I have been useing the ANY DVD sucessfully now for the past few days.

Question: When I purchase the ANY DVD Software, do I have to repurchase it again in two years? The way I read the website, It sounds as though I have to resubscribe when two years are up.
Katz

I think there was a January18 as a last day to purchase AnyDVD with lifetime free update. Anything purchased after, you will have to pay for update as it come alone.
I could not find any writing on what you say, but it is possible.

Too bad for me…and everyone else I guess.
I see there is a free download for DVD FAB at http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Does DVD Fab work the same way as ANY DVD? Is it as easy to use as ANY DVD
Katz

I do not use it. Lots of people do and YES it is same as AnyDVD. I think that one is all in one application, rip-convert(DVD9 to DVD5) and burn.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2201311]I do not use it. Lots of people do [B]and YES it is same as AnyDVD.[/B] I think that one is all in one application, rip-convert(DVD9 to DVD5) and burn.[/QUOTE]
Not really.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2201317]Not really.[/QUOTE]

Excellent answer. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=old.katz;2201309]Too bad for me…and everyone else I guess.
I see there is a free download for DVD FAB at http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Does[B] DVD Fab work the same way as ANY DVD?[/B] Is it as easy to use as ANY DVD
Katz[/QUOTE]
No, AnyDVD is basically a Window’s driver that works in the background to automatically remove the copy protection (among other things) of a DVD. DVDFab HD Decrypter is a [B]program[/B] used for ripping protected DVDs.

Geno888

I’m confused. I wonder why this fellow at our bank computer services said I needed the Active ISO Software? I’m not ging to bother him about it.(:slight_smile: Maybe he is useing Window XP and needs this?
At anyrate, I am useing it and it doesn’t seem to be a problem. Everythings seems to be working ok. I have been able to burn the Backups I wanted. Just as a test I went to the library and used the same process on Movies. No problem.
Katz

Probably that person is used to use that software, so suggested you to use it too :slight_smile:

I never used it (actually I never heard about that software :p), and I can say that it is not needed at all to make your backups :slight_smile:

Moreover, if you already was able to do all backups as you want, then I can’t see any reason to install another software that you actually don’t need :slight_smile:

Like I said before. You do not need to make an ISO file while ripping.
It is only because it is one container with all the info.
You can rip DVD to VOB files, the same way they are on original DVD, than use ImgBurn for burning.
This software will find proper layer brake if you are burning 1:1 copy on dual layer DVD.
If you use Shrink to compress to fit on DVD5(4.7GB) you do not need layer brake, just burn the files as they are after compression.