Do I need an external Blu-ray player? (Mac)

vbimport

Purchased the Mac Blu-ray player software, but (maybe a dumb question) do I need to get and plug in an external Blu-ray player?
I have a new, very powerful iMac with a disc drive, but it rejects my blu-ray discs.

If you post the specs of your drive,then we’ll know it’s capabilities…:wink:

Here’s what I found looking up on my system

HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA32N:

Firmware Revision: KE06
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 1024 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Type: DVD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No

There is your answer…your drive doesn’t support blu-ray discs.:disagree:
So yes,an external blu-ray player/writer is recommended…

I figured, but I’m learning. Thanks for the answer!

And a delayed reply: Apple has never shipped a Blu-ray capable drive in any of its computers.

I am not familiar with Macs but can a BD drive be swapped into them like a PC or are they proprietary?

[QUOTE=UTR;2730470]I am not familiar with Macs but can a BD drive be swapped into them like a PC or are they proprietary?[/QUOTE]

Any standard BD drive is supported & can be added in/upgraded by the user. No special drivers are otherwise required; all modern versions of OS X that can handle CD or DVD drives not originally provided by Apple should be able to handle a BD drive. (So that means versions of the OS from the past 5 years or so will be fine).

However, Apple’s stock software doesn’t have any real support for it. Third party burning and playback software, however, does exist.

No special software would be needed to just read a data disc.

Thanks for the info. I have upgraded a few PC laptops with BD drives with no issues and was curious if Apples are the same.