Do I need a wifi adapter or card?

vbimport

I have a dell dimension pc I bought in 2003, & it’s service tag is 20WZ831, I want to set up a wireless network with an apple airport extreme, some one asked me to share the tag number to help me see if I just need to download some drivers for it or whether I need to go & buy a usb wifi adapter or PCI card. The computer is running windows xp home edition service pack 2. I will not update to service pack 3, the last time I did it I had to replace the hard drive., with a complete restore of the pc.

I googled how to see if ones computer is wi fi ready, & I went into start>control panel>network connections > & there is my Ethernet integrated broad com connection, I notice in the control panel section there is a wireless setup wizard option among all the other options along with the network connections.

from this can anybody tell me if I need a wifi card or usb dongle external wifi adapter?

Either a USB Wi-Fi adapter or a PCI card should work with your PC. USB has the advantage of not having to open your PC to install it. If your PC does not have high-speed USB (2.0), you would be better off with a PCI card, as the USB would be a bottleneck otherwise. The simplest way to check if you’ve USB 2.0 is to plug in a USB memory stick. If you get a message saying “Your USB device can perform faster…”, then it’s the older USB 1.x.

The best PCI card to go for would be one with a small wired aerial, such that you can place the aerial on top of the PC or desk. Edimax has a PCI card with a wired aerial. If the aerial attaches directly to the back of the PC, this will greatly reduce the signal from my experience.

If you get a USB Wi-Fi adapter, get a USB cable extender unless the card comes with one. This will let you position the Wi-Fi adapter on top of the desk. Again, like the PCI card, you’ll get better reception with the adapter placed on top of the desk/PC instead of plugged directly into the USB port behind it.

[QUOTE=Seán;2511835]Either a USB Wi-Fi adapter or a PCI card should work with your PC. USB has the advantage of not having to open your PC to install it. If your PC does not have high-speed USB (2.0), you would be better off with a PCI card, as the USB would be a bottleneck otherwise. The simplest way to check if you’ve USB 2.0 is to plug in a USB memory stick. If you get a message saying “Your USB device can perform faster…”, then it’s the older USB 1.x.

The best PCI card to go for would be one with a small wired aerial, such that you can place the aerial on top of the PC or desk. Edimax has a PCI card with a wired aerial. If the aerial attaches directly to the back of the PC, this will greatly reduce the signal from my experience.

If you get a USB Wi-Fi adapter, get a USB cable extender unless the card comes with one. This will let you position the Wi-Fi adapter on top of the desk. Again, like the PCI card, you’ll get better reception with the adapter placed on top of the desk/PC instead of plugged directly into the USB port behind it.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tips, can you give me links to recommended usb adapters? & cable extenders? I found this one; http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Female-Extension-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B001TH7GUU/ref=pd_cp_e_3 would this work? what about a usb hub? isn’t a cable extender just a single usb hub? there are alot of different types. I looked in my local radio shack today, & I saw some usb adapters with various levels of wireless; 150n, 300 n, & g, which would be better? I am in a big home with alot of walls & obstructions. THe computer is in the kitchen.

See here. No need to make an extra thread.

I highly advice against USB wifi for this system.