Do I need a new PSU

vbimport

ok. i need to make sure if i need to buy another power supply.

i need to find if this old power supply can hold the latest build im going to make.

Specs:
Amd Athlon II 640
BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3
WINTEC AMPX 4GB
Sapphire Vapor X HD 5750

Power Supply:
An old Antec True380
http://www.antec.com/specs/true380_spe.html

I’d strongly recommend replacing that PSU with a newer unit such as the Antec EarthWatts 380D Green. You see, newer motherboards require a 24-pin ATX power connector, but that old True380 has only a 20-pin ATX connector. Second, those older Antecs used a bad choice of internal capacitors: They are loaded with Fuhjyyu capacitors that could not withstand even moderately high temperatures. Worse, the old Antecs set their cooling fans to only spin at full load, resulting in the PSU’s internal temperatures that were murderous to those Fuhjyyu capacitors. The end result is a PSU that can die out on you much earlier than anticipated.

So, at the first sign of a squeal coming out of that True380 PSU itself, it is very likely to die out (and often with a loud pop). Replace it immediately, in that case.

Alright replacing it right away. plus going to my backyard and kick this thing back and forth.

Well I just looked at a review with that exact card with a cpu that uses way more power, water cooling, a more power hungry MB and it idles at 180W and maxing the card it draws 270W. So I think you should be perfectly fine, your PC should idle more like around 90-110W, and probably max around 200W.

review

One reason to upgrade that PSU is to get an efficient one because that one you have now is on the pathetic side when it comes to efficiency.

The series that RGL65 mentioned is good, check out the 430W model
Link

Efficiency > 68% :eek: :doh:
I’d suggest something at least in the 80% - 85% efficiency range because
that >68% is wasting a lot of energy.

Most of the newer good brand PS’s have a efficiency rating of around 85%
and have active PFC. :iagree:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2583292]Well I just looked at a review with that exact card with a cpu that uses way more power, water cooling, a more power hungry MB and it idles at 180W and maxing the card it draws 270W. So I think you should be perfectly fine, your PC should idle more like around 90-110W, and probably max around 200W.

review[/QUOTE]

The problem is that PSUs actually deteriorate with age, especially if used regularly over that time period. A four-year-old PSU of similar quality to the True380 (Fuhjyyu caps and all) might not have been able to handle even half of its rated wattage. And those old TruePower PSUs have had a history of early death.

I actually have a true380 running an AMD box thats at a family members house. Now that I think of it, that design is like 8 years old now!