Do I need 64bit Win XP for a dual core 64 bit CPU?

vbimport

I didn’t even think of it when I ordered my new system. I currently have the same copy of windows xp home I’ve had all along. Do I need to get 64 bit XP professional for my Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor to work? I’d hate to have to have to buy a retail copy… argh
Thanks

no. It may run faster, but no. I like most people have regular 32bit. (xp pro plus spec in sig)

windowx xp 64 bits doesn’t make any difference if you are a regular user.
A 64 bits system can reach a biger amount of ram, but regular software can’t.

I’ll echo the above posts.

64bit operating systems allow the use of more memory and some special 64bit applications that get a speed boost when using large numbers etc.

32 bit XP had problems with systems using 4gb of ram (only uses 2.5-3gb of it), Vista has now got around this and allows upto about 7GB (8GB but some is used by PCI addressing).

It depends on how the software was coded. There are some 32-bit applications that run fine on XP 64 but there are several factors that come into play.

Before you even start think about XP 64 bit or 32 bit, you should first check to see if there are 64 bit drivers for your hardware. Most 32 bit drivers aren’t designed to work with 64-bit OS.

…and remember that lots of 32bit apps run slower on a 64bit OS than they do on a 32bit one.

Most sources I have seen suggest avoiding 64 bit until many more drivers are available.