Do I have all the right tools?

vbimport

Hi everyone, so my ultimate goal like many of the posts i’ve read on the internet so far is to be able to sync my very old VHS player which can only play movies from where i used to live (Dubai), to my laptop, which is an XPS M170. It came with a tv tuner which means i’m able to watch television through it and it has an the external “tuner” with the video-in capability. Before i start is uppose is ohuld list all my equipment:

VHS player - It says a lot of stuff on it but the major words are PANASONIC, NCSD350 MULTI SYSTEM; NTSC TUNER, NTSC PLAYBACK, and on the video slip cover wher ethe videos go in it says, “SUPER DRIVE Ai, Intelligent Control System”.

Tv Tuner - Came wth my Dell laptop, it’s an external dell tv-tuner with the following plugs points: S-Video in, Video-in, Left, Right - and on the other side it has a connection to plug into my usb port on my computer, and the television plug “CATV”.Model of Tv tuner is :Angel USB TV Tuner:

PowerSHow S50 Digital Camera - dont know if this is useful or not, i read that camcorders can help getting thsi done, but this is what i have so you tell me heh

The only software i use with it is Windows Media Center. I don’t know what i would need if i do need something else.

So, I connect my VCR and plug it into the Video-in plug, connect the other side to my computer…and well, nothing happens. It doesn’t read anything being connected to my computer unlike when i watch television it works straight away. I don’t know what to do or if its even possible with my equipment. A step by step as much as possible would be very helpful as oppose to the theory of how one would do it, because i’m somewhat dense i suppose:) Thanks in advance for all comments!

-Rehan Pochkhanawala

[quote=Rehanp;2098172]Hi everyone, so my ultimate goal like many of the posts i’ve read on the internet so far is to be able to sync my very old VHS player which can only play movies from where i used to live (Dubai), to my laptop, which is an XPS M170. It came with a tv tuner which means i’m able to watch television through it and it has an the external “tuner” with the video-in capability. Before i start is uppose is ohuld list all my equipment:

[B]VHS player[/B] - It says a lot of stuff on it but the major words are PANASONIC, NCSD350 MULTI SYSTEM; NTSC TUNER, NTSC PLAYBACK, and on the video slip cover wher ethe videos go in it says, “SUPER DRIVE Ai, Intelligent Control System”.

[B]Tv Tuner[/B] - Came wth my Dell laptop, it’s an external dell tv-tuner with the following plugs points: S-Video in, Video-in, Left, Right - and on the other side it has a connection to plug into my usb port on my computer, and the television plug “CATV”.Model of Tv tuner is :Angel USB TV Tuner:

[B]PowerSHow S50 Digital Camera[/B] - dont know if this is useful or not, i read that camcorders can help getting thsi done, but this is what i have so you tell me heh

The only software i use with it is Windows Media Center. I don’t know what i would need if i do need something else.

So, I connect my VCR and plug it into the Video-in plug, connect the other side to my computer…and well, nothing happens. It doesn’t read anything being connected to my computer unlike when i watch television it works straight away. I don’t know what to do or if its even possible with my equipment. A step by step as much as possible would be very helpful as oppose to the theory of how one would do it, because i’m somewhat dense i suppose:) Thanks in advance for all comments!

-Rehan Pochkhanawala[/quote]
With VCR’s I believe all you need to do is connect the CATV from the VCR to the CATV on your laptop or desktop. Make sure the VCR is powered on and a VHS is inserted then try windows media center. I have not done this yet but when you hook up the VCR to TV using the CATV on both tv and vcr it works so it should work with computer. Also is the software installed for your tv tuner, you might want to find out if it is. [B]EDIT: Plug your TV tuner into laptop first then hookup your VCR[/B]

are these commercial tapes? could be macrovision or other such copy protection?

here is a link to a macrovision remover. i know nothing about it. just providing the link i found for reference.
http://www.dimax.com.ua/common/default.shtml

some vcr’s have ways of removing the protection, but again i dont really know much about it or if your vcr supports this feature.