Do I have a Counterfeit GGW-H20L

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGW-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve had a couple of issues with two dead GGW-H20L in a row (the latest one died during a firmware flash). The odd thing is that looking at them more closely I’m not sure how “genuine” they are.

I found a pic online of what my unit looks like (and it does not look like any other I have seen including the review here and it was supposedly made Jan 18 2008). Any suggestions on how to verify if they are the real things or otherwise (can most more pics if it helps). Also the markings from the back panel indicates that it is from a IDE Drive…

Thanks
Nathan

Hi jmone

Can you post a pic from the sticker (upper side) and the front side panel of your own drive?
Where did you get your drive from?

The faceplate of GGW-H20L is different of the other LG burners.

This is the faceplate of my drive.

Here are some pics from my drive (it is going back today to the E-bay seller for a refund - & to his credit he has pulled selling the drives are asking the distributor the Q).

Compared to the pics at http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/14652-LG-GGW-H20L-Blu-ray-Writer-Review/Introduction-1/ my drive “appears” to be made in the same week but looks completly different. I can also get pics from the PCB if it helps.

Thanks
Nathan

Mine looks like the picture that Zhadoom has posted.

Interesting that although it has SATA connectors, the text and symbols on the metal chassis is clearly for a PATA device!

[QUOTE=jmone;2442535]Here are some pics from my drive (it is going back today to the E-bay seller for a refund - & to his credit he has pulled selling the drives are asking the distributor the Q).

Compared to the pics at http://www.cdfreaks.com/review/14652-LG-GGW-H20L-Blu-ray-Writer-Review/Introduction-1/ my drive “appears” to be made in the same week but looks completly different. I can also get pics from the PCB if it helps.

Thanks
Nathan[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry to say this, but the case is from and old ide drive, and i am 100% that LG didn’t put it there, so getting back your money is the best thing to do.

[QUOTE=Aramchek;2447643]Interesting that although it has SATA connectors, the text and symbols on the metal chassis is clearly for a PATA device![/QUOTE]

Yep, someone is trying to pull a fast one. :iagree:

[QUOTE=negritude;2447646]Yep, someone is trying to pull a fast one. :iagree:[/QUOTE]
True, what I dont understand is how can they be recognized as GGW-H20L by the system if infact they are not the real thing, and how can they read/write BD media? Or maybe the OP hasn’t tried that yet? Because it would only make sense to counterfeit these drives with cheapo-regular DVD-RW drives.

[QUOTE=Hemispasm;2447680]True, what I dont understand is how can they be recognized as GGW-H20L by the system if infact they are not the real thing, and how can they read/write BD media? Or maybe the OP hasn’t tried that yet? Because it would only make sense to counterfeit these drives with cheapo-regular DVD-RW drives.[/QUOTE]

They could be hacked together from leftover parts. It may be a real Blu-Ray drive, but it’s still not of the same quality as what people buying through regular channels are getting. The point is that two of them have died. Why the OP doesn’t run far in the opposite direction of this seller and eBay is beyond me.

Don’t buy stuff from eBay unless you are an expert on a particular product and know instinctively what you should get. You can find good deals, but only if you know what you are doing.

I buy optical drives off eBay all the time, but I can tell you the exact model of a drive just from looking at a blurry photo. I know exactly what the market (retail) and “blue-book” (used) price of a drive is. Unless you do extensive research, know a product backwards and forwards, and can disassemble and put one back together blindfolded, stay away from eBay.

FYI - I’ve returned the drive, got my $ back and purchased a “real” one (that is running fine) and the e-bay store has pulled the rest. I never had the chance to burn a BD, but the first drive did read both a BD and HD-DVD so while the packaging was odd, I was thinking…it has to be an LG drive in there…anyway an interesting side trip!

I’ve purchased two other items over the years that I reckon was dodgy, a “sony” flash drive and a “WD” HDD marketed and reporting a higher capacity and neither of these were from on-line retailers. I’ll still happly buy tech from e-bay.

[QUOTE=jmone;2448958]FYI - I’ve returned the drive, got my $ back and purchased a “real” one (that is running fine) and the e-bay store has pulled the rest. I never had the chance to burn a BD, but the first drive did read both a BD and HD-DVD so while the packaging was odd, I was thinking…it has to be an LG drive in there…anyway an interesting side trip!

I’ve purchased two other items over the years that I reckon was dodgy, a “sony” flash drive and a “WD” HDD marketed and reporting a higher capacity and neither of these were from on-line retailers. I’ll still happly buy tech from e-bay.[/QUOTE]
Glad that everything worked out for you jmone and thanx for letting us know :slight_smile: