Do good Disk Qual. scans = good video quality?

vbimport

Lately I’ve been using Nero CD Speed to Disk Quality Scan every disk I burn, data or video, and last night got to wondering: if I get a good Disk Quality Scan result like the scan of the movie below, does that automatically equate to that movie being of good/great quality when I play it on a set-top player? (Assume that the player has always played that particular type of media just fine in the past, even w/lower-quality burns.)

Or does one have nothing to do w/the other? It would be nice to know, because usually as soon as I burn a movie, I take it to both my set-top players and skip around the disk, trying to get it to freeze/skip/pixelate. If I could bypass that step just by getting a good DQ scan, that would be great. :slight_smile:

BTW, the disk was burned on an LG GSA-4163B–I just used the NEC to scan it.

The only sure-fire test of quality is watching the content right through unfortunately.
Someone did mention a while back that it would be useful to marry high error hot-spots on a disc with the actual playback position of that title so then you could check it out on a standalone, but I’ve not seen any software that does that. Personally quality tests aren’t much use to me because I have a Pioneer DVR108 which is pretty useless for quality scans, although the burn quality from what I’ve read from this burner is excellent.

Regards

TZ

good disc quality has absolutely nothing to do with good video quality. lower quality media may cause skipping and glitches to appear, but that’s not a video quality problem.

There are way too many variables to ever guarantee anything based on a single scan in a drive. But, in general, better quality burns do not equal better quality images. A crappy burn that plays seems to look as good as a high quality burn on the best media.

Yeah, I figured that would be too easy! :slight_smile:

thanks for that AZ and chas. I was about to say…I had great, low error burns on the backup, but in some cases had pixelation anyway. About the only thing I could figure out was that if the source copy (although it would play fine in a standalone and on the DVD burner in the computer) looked fine when played, but somehow wasn’t really as ‘sharp’ or ‘good’ of an original as it should have been. This was after learning to make sure I defragmented my HD after every burn. I once tried scanning some originals to see how those burn graphs looked, but those didn’t tell me anything, because my backup burns looked better in some cases than the originals. It would be nice if there were some program that you could use that would scan an original and tell you ‘you’ll likely get x amount of pixelation with x amount of compression’ or if it could somehow tell you the original isn’t as ‘crisp’ as it should be.