Do fujifilms still scan TY?

I bought some fuji’s a long time ago because I read somewhere they scanned out as TY’s, anyone know if they still do? or maybe it was just a high quality disc version its been a while…

If the Fujifilm packaging says Made in Japan - they will still be TY.

But anything other than Made in Japan will be other crap. Fujifilm CD-Rs made by TY are not made anymore - you have to somehow find old stock that are MIJ and get them. It may be difficult to get a hold of them. You might have to buy genuine TY discs online if you need TY.

Here’s some info on Fuji. http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediasearch=fuji&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=11&size=All&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=50&search=Search+or+List+Media

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1932841]Fujifilm CD-Rs made by TY are not made anymore.[/QUOTE] :eek:Are you sure? I saw them everywhere in Montreal back in July.:confused:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1932841]If the Fujifilm packaging says Made in Japan - they will still be TY.

But anything other than Made in Japan will be other crap. Fujifilm CD-Rs made by TY are not made anymore - you have to somehow find old stock that are MIJ and get them. It may be difficult to get a hold of them.[/QUOTE]

True. FujiFilm now gets its CD-Rs from RiTEK and Prodisc (both in Taiwan), as well as Daxon (in Malaysia). Their branded DVD-/+Rs are supplied from RiTEK and Prodisc, and sometimes Daxon (in both Taiwan and Malaysia). They had terminated its supply contract with TY late last year because TY began to charge OEMs (or more specifically, blank media distributors) more than other companies do for their media. (Put it this way, TY discs now cost big media brands more money than RiTEK, Prodisc or CMC discs.)

Bah, I think the US and EU media distributors are just being cheap. TDK, Panasonic, and Victor JVC still sell TY media under their brands in Japan, why can’t they do it here?

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1933916]Bah, I think the US and EU media distributors are just being cheap. TDK, Panasonic, and Victor JVC still sell TY media under their brands in Japan, why can’t they do it here?[/QUOTE]

In the case of TDK, the worldwide media division is now part of Imation. In other words, outside of Japan, TDK is now a sister brand of Imation and Memorex; as such, TDK now uses the same pool of disc manufacturers as the other two brands. In addition, I’ve found new packages of TDK-branded DVD-R discs whose package now states “Made in United Arab Emirates.”

Panasonic-branded media is now rare in the U.S. The only Panasonic-branded discs that I’ve been able to find within the past six months are the 8x DVD-Rs (in 10-pc. slim jewel cases), which are TY’s TYG02 discs.

And TY charges much cheaper prices to media companies’ Japanese distributors than to distributors outside of Japan. (Or put it this way, TDK’s Japanese distributor pays only one-third the price that Imation, the owner of the TDK brand outside of Japan, pays, even after adjusting for currency differences between countries.) By contrast, the Taiwanese manufacturers charge Japanese companies nearly the same cost as they do European and American distributors (this would make RiTEK-manufactured discs more expensive than TY-manufactured discs to the Japanese media distributors who market their discs within the Japanese home market).

They still have plenty of Fuji branded Ty CDs in the K-Mart near me. I think they might be old stock but they keep replacing them so I really don’t know.:confused:

[QUOTE=RJL65;1933924]In the case of TDK, the worldwide media division is now part of Imation. In other words, outside of Japan, TDK is now a sister brand of Imation and Memorex…[/QUOTE]

This gives an additionally insidious meaning to the term “media consolidation.”

It seems that Verbatim is now officially the only decent thing left at retail, and yet, only two stores carry them in the states. Why?

Stay stocked up on your Verbs people, things could get worse. :sad:

Only two? Best Buy, Micro Center, OfficeMax, Sam’s Club.

[QUOTE=joseph5;1933898]:eek:Are you sure? I saw them everywhere in Montreal back in July.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Like I said, old stock. Get it while you can.

They aren’t made anymore as RJL65 was saying in more detail.

Stores are known to cycle stuff between each other. So one store might have difficulty selling the Fuji TY discs, they might handball them over to a store that always sells them out.

They also may simply have thousands of spindles in stock and keep replenishing when they run out. Either way, I’d be stocking up if I found any since there won’t be anything left once they’re all gone.