Do DVD Writers age with time?

HI Guys,

I have about a year old BenQ DW1650 DVD Writer, with me…Its working fine but I have been getting horrible scans lately on media which used to give me good scans earlier…though writes never fails while burning and it does a pretty good job of reading disks…

So I wanna know, is my DVD Writer dying… :sad: … its been hardly used…

Regards,

If the drive can still complete burns and read discs than I shouldn’t think so.

If anything, it sounds like your discs are degrading.

Your media is more likely degrading.:iagree:

Yeah probably I shouldn’t care, but I like to scan disks with imp data once in a while…writing quality has degraded to a great extent, the Nero Quality score has gone down from about 90+ to around 50-70 on MBI media…
Will try different media, and report back…

MBI media can either be very good and last a long time or can start off very good but degrade over time. All depends on the batch you have…& it sounds like you have a batch that is prone to degrading. Might be time to back up some of the fast degrading discs on other media.

I meant earlier freshly written disk used to give 90+ quality score while nowdays freshly written disk has score of about 50-70 only…
hmm…it could be true though that i have gotten MBI disks from a bad batch, too bad got 100 of them…anyways will try some different media :smiley:

Ahh, right. Sorry. :doh:
But most of my post still stands. :bigsmile:

update: found an unlikely culprit, BenQ Qsuite was screwing up the media…
I had got in habbit of testing the blank media for finding out the recomended writing speed with QScan TE/FE Test…I was doing it for each n every disk…

However, I burnt 2 disks today with same media, and both got 90+ quality scores, they hadn’t been subjected to QScan…