Do drives really strain more when reading recordable media?

vbimport

I remember reading this once and I just believed it but now I’m doubting it. Is this true? Why would a drive strain itself more to read a recordable media over stamped discs?

The current (volts) used to read and burn are about the same.

[QUOTE=THE C.;2031852]The current (volts) used to read and burn are about the same.[/QUOTE]With this being a technical forum it needs to be pointed out that current is measured in amps. Potential difference is volts.

There are reasons why a drive might need more power to read a disc, but “straining” is a term of biological systems and doesn’t really apply. If the drive optics and mechanics are sufficiently well designed and built with the appropriate tolerances, then it should be able to cope with things such as weak reflectivity.

Excuse by non-technical explantion.

The use of self created/burned media can put extra strain on a reader compared to a factory pressed version. Data errors that can occur becasue of dye defiiencies an incompatible creating/burning hardware and software burning at to slow/fast speeds for example.

This strain,wear and tear is caused by laser re-reads caused by media errors. The device has to read several times to get useable data. You’ve probably experienced this at some point when you insert an unreadble disc in a dvdrom drive. The drive will practically stall the system in its attamp to read the data.

The right combination of hardware/software and media when creating discs will reduce the amount of /strain/wear/damage that will occur.

First and foremost, data integrity should be #1 priority.