Do any new LiteOn CD-RW drives, read/burn lower than 16x?

vbimport

As I said in an earlier post, I have just bought a new LiteOn SOHC-5235K, which is a CD-RW/DVD combo. I can’t get it to rip/burn any lower than 16x.

My old LiteOn LTR-48125S CD-RW, which is over two years old, will rip/burn at 4x. Is there any new LiteOn drives that burn as low as 4x, or is this speed not used anymore?

Or was I stupid burning at 4x? Does higher speeds mean lesser quality for music copies?

Does anybody know of any new LiteOn’s that will work lower than 16x? What about the new LiteOn SOHR-5239S CD-RW, will this operate any lower than 16x?

I burn all my CDRs at the max speed of my drives, 48X or 52X. I’ve never had any problems with the discs playing in any CD players.

Does faster rip/burn speeds mean lesser quality audio reproduction? As I said above my new LiteOn will work at 16x minimum. The drive begins to spin up, then slowly increases in speed over a few minutes. Does this type of thing also affect the sound quality?

I’ve never been able to hear a difference between a disc burned at 4x, 16x, or 48x. They all sound the same in any Cd player I have used. I have discs I burned years ago at the slower speeds. I can’t hear a difference.

@ markelliot
Welcome:). As long as your source files are of high quality, the disc can be burnt at any speed your drive is capable of burning and should result in no data or quality lost.

You can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.4.2 BLER scans(scan DVDs at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). For CDs, ‘max’ speed is OK. You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans for DVDs and Interpreting C1/C2 error scans for CDs to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, for DVDs, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. For CDs, a good burn will have only a few or no C2 counts.

My SOHW1213s can burn CDR at 8x, but not sure if it can rip at 8x, I will tell you later.
I usually burn CDR at 16x as I am also a paranoid.
If you want to rip audio disc in the best quality, try EAC

Thanks for your replies, but is there actually any difference in sound quality if ripping/burning faster or at maximum speed? Forget the jitter errors, I’m talking about loss of frequencies, ie. less rumble of bass etc…

I contacted LiteOn and said about I can’t get it to go down any lower than 16x, and they just said it’s your software at fault!?!? The software I am using is Nero 6 that came with the drive, and if I select 4x it just speeds up to around 16x.

hey markelliot, don’t worry about ripping slower than 16x - it dosen’t matter, as long as you are extracting the audio digitally. You will experience no loss in sound quality at all, as the drive is simply transferring the binary information from the cd to your hard rive. Now, if your disc is extremely dirty or damaged, then the drive might not be able to rip the disc at great speeds and you may need to slow it down. However, if you try ripping at 52x and the process completes, then you have an exact audio extraction from your disc. you pretty much shouldn’t have to worry about dirt/debris anyways-since lite-on’s have excellent error correction capabilities. So, try ripping the disc at the highest speed to conserve time, and if it completes, you’re all good, and if it dosen’t, try using a different ripper to slow it down.

-hope i’ve helped :wink:

Thanks for that psteele. That has cleared a few things up. One other thing I wanted to know is, when you start ripping/burning the drive starts the operation slow (around 4x), and then slowly speeds up to about 16x over the duration of the rip/burn. Does this sort of thing affect the sound quality? As it’s been going slow and gradually speeding up faster over the period of a few minutes.

These LiteOn’s produce excellent sound quality reproduction, this is my second one that I’ve had, the old one is still going strong. I simply wouldn’t buy anything other than LiteOn. The quality is amazing.

No, it does not affect audio fidelity, and is perfectly normal. That is the drive’s method of reading the disc, called constant angular velocity (CAV). As the laser moves toward the outer edges of the disc, the drive motor must spin faster to maintain the laser’s proper position on the disc. CAV is the fastest and generally most widespread reading strategy used in optical drives, especially at high speeds.

If you want to be sure that your audio is extracted correctly you should use software like Exact Audio Copy (EAC).

Normally extracting at 16x should not lead to any problems, BUT if there are any errors the drive might skip them or interpolate the value instead of “reading” it. Since Audio-CDs do not have any error correction it is not possible to really know if the extracted data is correct, until you read it several times and compare.

That is exactly what EAC does basically!

There are several other issues about extracting audio, which I cannot go into detail. But if you read through the help and FAQs of EAC you’ll get quite alot of informations concerning everything connected to digital audio extraction.

Rule of thump: as long as the disc is clean and healthy, digital audio extraction in even fastest reading modes should be no problem…

My old LiteOn didn’t do this. If I selected 4x it would start at 4x and finish at 4x.

Howcome when burning it reaches the preset speed within a few seconds, yet when ripping it takes the duration of reading to get up to speed?

when burning a disc, the drive dosen’t need to worry about scanning and diciphering data on the disc, or scratches/debris on it’s surface.
when reading, it does.
Also, burning at different speeds, there are different write strategies for burning.
For example, some burners use zone constant linear velocity (Z-CLV), instead of CAV, to burn a disc. In this stategy the burner starts at a certain speed and stays there for a period, then speeds up to a higher speed for a certain period, until finally it reaches the speed selected in the last zone. In this strategy you will usually notice the seperate ‘zones’ on the disc, as they are a slightly different color because of the different speeds.

Also, if you’re reading at the same speed as you generally burn the disc, the times should be approximately the same. If the times aren’t approximately equal, this could be due to a different strategy for burning vs reading, dirt on the disc, or a different reading speed vs burning speed.

Be careful - there are SOME cases where there CAN be a difference between ripping at 30x to ripping at 8x… It will all depend on the condition of the disc you are ripping from. I’ve done many tests in the past using CDDAE and its built-in error verification tool with yellow and red graphs representing errors in the comparaison.

I have found that on some audio CDs, yes original, pressed CDs, when ripping at 30x and running a compare I would get quite a few yellow spots, which represents errors… The fewer these errors the less likely you might hear them, however, for some low volume or some type of songs like classical you will notice pops and other noises. Otherwise, if a disc is not damaged, scratched or dirty and in healthy condition there should be no problem at all extracting at the maximum speed your drive supports.

You can run tests on your own. I’ve taken many health Audio CDs (originals) and ripped them at 30x and used the bit verify function, all turned out error free… Done the same rips at 4x and 8x, and binary compared the WAV files, they were identical bit for bit…

My recommendations - if you are aware that the Audio CD is in bad shape (scratches, dirty, etc…) it is best to at speeds lower than 12x, I’d say 8x…otherwise no problem.

As to BURNING an Audio CD, I would not go higher than 8x for burning an Audio CD-R. No matter how hard you try your burnt audio CD will never be bit for bit identical to your original, but usually it comes pretty close with very low errors, you want to keep it that way.

EAC (ExactAudioCopy) works differently and is actually much slower, but provides a more accurate extraction to come as close as you will get to the original.

Às far as C1/C2 errors, on a good media you DO NOT want to see ANY C2 errors… As to C1s, the lower, the better, usually not exceeding 50 (not the total) - normally good quality burns would be in the single digit range.

Unfortunately, Audio CD lacks of the first ECC Block. So faster you rip, higher chance to get wrong information.

EAC can use several method to rip disc such as C2 correction. You should give it a try.

Thanks Rimmer66

Yes i know the faster you rip, the higher the chance of errors. That is why i recommended reading the disc at the highest speeds if the disc is clean. Otherwise, I’d also recommend EAC if you have scratched or damaged discs and want to get the most accurate copy.