DNS problem

vbimport

I’m running a cable company cable .I have a cable company modem and a wireless modem. my wireless modem has 4-5 outlets .one goes to my main computer which I can’t connect to the internet the rest work fine.I’ve switched cables and doesn’t change anything still no internet on main computer.I chatted with kerry and cholla and they couldn;t help.see last night chat.need help thank you
the other things I have on that wireless modem is a laptop and a exteral storage unit and an old computer which I’m using right now with xp on it .My main computer has windows 7

More info
CMD IPCONFIG
wireless Lan adapter wireless network connection:
media state…media disconnected
connection specific DNS suffix
local area connection
connection…specific DNS suffix: gha.chartermi.net
link-localIPv6 address fe80::5c76:fad:303e:ec04%12
IPv4 address…192.168.1.114
subnet mask…255.255.255.8
default gateway 192.168.1.1

Soo thats internet via the television cable?

.I have a cable company modem and a wireless modem

A company modem and wifi router you mean?

my wireless modem has 4-5 outlets .one goes to my main computer which I can’t connect to the internet
4 lan 1 wan?

the rest work fine.I’ve switched cables and doesn’t change anything still no internet on main computer.

Ok ,so wherever you plug in the computer nic (network interface card) on the wireless router (still guessing it’s a router), it doesn’t matter. Also tried different cables or still using the same cable on different lan ports?

media state…media disconnected
connection specific DNS suffix
local area connection
connection…specific DNS suffix: gha.chartermi.net
link-localIPv6 address fe80::5c76:fad:303e:ec04%12
IPv4 address…192.168.1.114
subnet mask…255.255.255.8
default gateway 192.168.1.1

Couple things that i notice:

media disconnected

can you ping the gateway?
can you ping google?
can you ping the google dns servers?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2737211]Soo thats internet via the television cable?

A company modem and wifi router you mean?

4 lan 1 wan?

Ok ,so wherever you plug in the computer nic (network interface card) on the wireless router (still guessing it’s a router), it doesn’t matter. Also tried different cables or still using the same cable on different lan ports?

Couple things that i notice:

media disconnected

can you ping the gateway?
can you ping google?
can you ping the google dns servers?[/QUOTE]

yes to all except the ping for goole and gateway and dns show could not find host

So no matter where you plug your main computer in it does not work ?

Then you have a setting wrong on the main computer, or maybe your network card is not working.

Under device manager is it showing ?

[QUOTE=bean55;2737218]So no matter where you plug your main computer in it does not work ?

Then you have a setting wrong on the main computer, or maybe your network card is not working.

Under device manager is it showing ?[/QUOTE]

yes it does show realtek PCIGBE Family controler

under Network adapter it has three things
802.11 wireless lancard
mircosoft teredo tunneling adapter
realtek PCIe 6be family controller

This pc only uses the wired connection, correct?

We should also make sure software is not the issue. Are you able to boot your system with a live operating system like Ubuntu or something and test if things are working then?

If not, is it possible to connect your pc directly to your company cable modem? Could you check if you get a connection that way?

Hi Doug , I’m going to be out most of the day but I have a couple of things for you to try.
First ping 127.0.0.1

It should look like this:
C:>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

That will show if the NIC card is working internally.

I think we suggested this in chat but Mr. Belvedere suggested this again

First power off your main computer & unplug it.
If you have a power supply you can just switch that off.
Do the same for the modem.
Router too .
Temporarily unplug you wireless router from the cable company modem.
This should be an Ethernet cable .

Plug only your main computer directly into the modem .
Power the modem on.
Power your main computer on & boot it.

I hope this will fix it .
If not this may take some time to find the problem.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2737207]I’m running a cable company cable .I have a cable company modem and a wireless modem. my wireless modem has 4-5 outlets .one goes to my main computer which I can’t connect to the internet the rest work fine.I’ve switched cables and doesn’t change anything still no internet on main computer.I chatted with kerry and cholla and they couldn;t help.see last night chat.need help thank you
the other things I have on that wireless modem is a laptop and a exteral storage unit and an old computer which I’m using right now with xp on it .My main computer has windows 7[/QUOTE]

Here something you know they do now make a cable/router wifi modem together? I seen those both for DSL/modem and Cable?router wifi together now? If your not getting internet from the desktop did you try a NIC card to see if the part on the board isn’t bad? I seen those can go bad as well. That would be the other option to try to test whether or not the board NIC was bad or not.

Under Network and Sharing Center does it show an active network?

yes it does bean but the browsers don’t do anything

Hi Doug. Saw your problem in the CatBox, but I thought I would post here as well in case it helps anyone else in the future.

My brain & eyes aren’t much good at reading today, but it looks like the recurring problem I’ve had with 2x Windows 7 laptops belonging to my sisters - sometimes they just won’t connect to the router on our Ethernet network.

My solution is to go into Device Manager, right click on the network adapter (Realtek GBE if you are using wired Ethernet) & select uninstall. Then go to Action menu and Scan For Hardware Changes (which should reinstall the network adapter). If it doesn’t work, try rebooting after uninstalling.

So far, this has always worked for me. It [I]should[/I] be safe to try, but you may wish to create a System Restore checkpoint just in case.

Good luck. :flower:

Doug , Can you receive e-mail on your main computer right now ?
If you have a gmail or other e-mail account you can e-mail yourself to test.

You might try going direct to the cable modem with the router unplugged from it . With an Ethernet cable from one of the computers that is now working through the wireless router. If that works it means something is definately wrong with your main computers NIC or some setting has really messed up.

What Ibex posted about uninstalling the NIC from Device Manager is one of the things I would have suggested.

Also if you know is this your usual IPv4 address…192.168.1.114 for your main computer ?

no Sorry can’t get anything off the net not even the email,at lease on the main computer.Anyway I’m trying to restore it and see if that works .thanks for your help

That let’s me know it’s not a browser problem .
I did some Googling on the NIC card you have seems to have a lot of problems.
So I’m going to go out on a limb & say it’s the card itself that is the problem.
My advice it to buy a new card of a different brand.

If the restore doesn’t work I did find a couple of things to try with this card.
There’s always a possibility they might fix it.

Doug, have you tried swapping out the NIC from one of your other computers, Also I knoticed that it was asked if you changed out the cable. I did not see wheather you did or not. Might have missed it. First thing is we have to eliminate the to most obvious(sp) parts

Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2737293]Doug, have you tried swapping out the NIC from one of your other computers, Also I knoticed that it was asked if you changed out the cable. I did not see wheather you did or not. Might have missed it. First thing is we have to eliminate the to most obvious(sp) parts

Marty[/QUOTE]

Marty I did change and swapped cables even run direct from the cable router. Anyway I ended up restoreing and now I’m back on the net .Now to get stuf back on and deleting the garbage hp put on there computers.Well hope that solved the problem.I’ll let you guys know if it come back.thank you for helping thats why I keep coming back ,good friends.

I guess I was wrong about the NIC card .
Doug , I’m curious about this:
Does ipconfig still show this IPv4 address…192.168.1.114 ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2737295]I guess I was wrong about the NIC card .
Doug , I’m curious about this:
Does ipconfig still show this IPv4 address…192.168.1.114 ?[/QUOTE]

yeah cholla it has the same address ,nothing looks any different and I still don’t have a clue what caused it.

Corrupted driver maybe?