DMR-ES40V doesn't work following the digital conversion

vbimport

Hi,

I’m not sure that it has anything to do with the digital conversion or not, but ever since I used my converter box to scan and program in all the new digital channels, my Panasonic VCR/DVD player no longer works. It won’t respond to most commands on the remote, and won’t show a DVD or VHS on the TV. A tape plays in the machine, and you can fast forward-rewind-stop, change recording speeds, etc., but nothing shows up on the screen. I haven’t changed any connections. A movie used to simply cut right in when using any of the digital channels until recently.

We tried all the reset ideas suggested in this forum as well as in the book, but nothing helps. I can’t access the functions or any on-screen commands or menus. I can’t even change the TV/VHS select control.

Probably just time for a new unit??? Just thought I’d post this in case anyone has any suggestions. The unit is 4 years old and has been pretty much trouble-free except for one time when we had trouble playing DVD’s but were able to reset the unit.

Thanks,
three4rd

[QUOTE=three4rd;2293113]Hi,

I’m not sure that it has anything to do with the digital conversion or not, but ever since I used my converter box to scan and program in all the new digital channels, my Panasonic VCR/DVD player no longer works. It won’t respond to most commands on the remote, and won’t show a DVD or VHS on the TV. A tape plays in the machine, and you can fast forward-rewind-stop, change recording speeds, etc., but nothing shows up on the screen. I haven’t changed any connections. A movie used to simply cut right in when using any of the digital channels until recently.

We tried all the reset ideas suggested in this forum as well as in the book, but nothing helps. I can’t access the functions or any on-screen commands or menus. I can’t even change the TV/VHS select control.

Probably just time for a new unit??? Just thought I’d post this in case anyone has any suggestions. The unit is 4 years old and has been pretty much trouble-free except for one time when we had trouble playing DVD’s but were able to reset the unit.

Thanks,
three4rd[/QUOTE]

The problems you’ve encountered are most likely related to the converter box connection and/or selection of output/input sources.

If you added a converter box where there was none before you will no longer be tuning/recording by changing channels with the DMR-ES40V remote. The DMR-ES40V must be set in such a way as to [I]passively receive signals from the converter box.[/I] To put it another way, the DMR-ES40V needs to be “enslaved” to the converter box.

After setting up the DMR-ES40V to be enslaved to the converter box, channel tuning/channel changing will be accomplished only through the converter box remote control.

Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes (for use with an antenna) and most cable company converter boxes usually provide two (or more) outputs that may be used to input a signal to your DMR-ES40V. The two most commonly used output/input connections are the threaded coax cable connector or the press on yellow (video) and white/red (audio) cables/jacks.

If the converter box threaded coax cable output is connected to your DMR-ES40V coax cable input then the signal source will be channel 3 or 4 (depending upon what “output channel” has been selected in a converter box menu or through a switch on the rear panel of the converter box). First, you should set the DMR-ES40V to channel 3 for viewing the channels as tuned by the converter box. If no picture is found on channel 3 then change to channel 4 for viewing the channels as tuned by the converter box. Thereafter you will tune the channels with the converter box remote.

If the yellow/white/red converter box outputs are connected to a corresponding set of yellow/white/red inputs, LINE IN 1 on the rear or LINE IN 2 on the front of your DMR-ES40V, then that LINE IN needs to be selected as the signal source for your viewing with the INPUT SELECT button on your Panasonic remote. That selection may also be made through the Panasonic Channel Up/Down buttons. Thereafter you will tune the channels with the converter box remote.

Your DMR-ES40V should remain connected to your TV in the same way as before. If that connection is through the coax cable the DMR-ES40V need not be powered on for viewing channels selected by the converter box. If that connection is through the yellow/white/red cables the DMR-ES40V and the converter box must be powered on for viewing the channels selected by the converter box.

For SCHEDULE menu recording the CHANNEL will be set to whichever input or channel you have selected for inputting the signal from the converter box. These are INI 1 or INI 2 or CH 3 or CH 4. Then you tune the converter box to the channel you wish to record and power the DMR-ES40V off before the recording is scheduled to begin.

DigaDo,

Thanks for the reply. I believe that I have everything hooked up in a way that should work. I’ll look over your entire reply in detail to make sure, but the unit was working fine even with the use of a converter box for the last several months already.

I was able to play/watch DVD’s and VHS’s no matter what channel the converter box was tuned to, whereas now it won’t play at all. The Panasonic was always tuned to channel 3. Now, though, I can’t even change the Panasonic’s selector between TV or TV/VHS. There just is very limited control using the VHS remote compared to before. I’ll go over it all again, but it seems like something went wrong inside the DMR unit. I can’t set the time, change channels…you name it. Weird. I’d like to get it working again if at all possible.

Thanks again…

three4rd

When the unit is powered on if you hold down both the CH UP and CH DOWN on the main unit(for at least 5 seconds) it will return the unit to a almost out of box state. You might want to try that, at this point it can’t hurt anything. Note most of your preferences as well as channel lineups will need to be set again after the reset. The ES-40v is among the first units Panasonic offered that had bugs and quirks. All the current EZ units have similar bugs/quirks:(

Hi jjeff,

I’ll give it a shot…worth a try. I just saw over on the AVS forum that there is a place in IL that repairs panasonic units, but it costs a flat $130 fee. Not sure it’s worth it…I can buy a brand new DVD/VHS combo player on ebay for alot less than that. Someone else indicated on this forum that it’s cheaper to replace than repair.

Thanks again…I’ll try your suggestion.

three4rd

Since you have a ES-40v I probably wouldn’t suggest getting it repaired, even if it only cost $130. Others report the ES-40v is problematic at best.
If you do look for a used Panny combo I’d look for a '05 ES-30v (with the very handy dual displays) or a '06 ES-35v or ES-45/6v with HDMI upconverting. Avoid the '07 and newer EZ’s unless you want more headaches that the ES-40v.
You could also look for a '04 and older unit but note they will not have the 500 line resolution LP speed like on '05s and newer.
Here’s a link to all the Panny DVDRs listing year made and features.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909

Thanks to jjeff and all who offered such helpful suggestions…I was able to get my machine to work. It plays tapes and DVD’s like new again. Using the channel up/down keys simultaneously definitely helped. I kept working with that as well as a few other reset suggestions, and eventually got sound (but a scrambled picture) on the VHS side of the unit. Then, by fiddling with it some more, I eventually got into the functions screens and menus. From there I did a ‘restore factory default’ and all seems to be ok at least for now. Thanks again! This forum was so helpful and gave me the motivation to keep on trying things until I eventually got it all straightened out somehow…and I was just about ready to buy a new combo unit on eBay…I found a guy selling a Sony combo unit that looks pretty nice…he only wants $75 with free shipping. Who knows…I may yet still need it!!

Regards,
three4rd

Some of us have been through the frying pan with a DMR-ES40V or several EZ series Panasonics. Based upon our own and others’ experience we know better than to jump from the frying pan into the fire with a Sony DVD recorder.

Be sure to read AVS Forum discussions concerning Sony DVD recorders before making such a purchase.

Hello, jjeff: You’ve given really informative advice, and I realise this thread is 9 years old but I thought I’d ask.

I just bought a reconditioned DMR-ES40V (actually I bought a DMR-ES30V and they sent this one instead so I’m ready to send it back).

1. It “plays” the disc but I can’t see it on my TV. I followed the book instructions for hooking it up to my TV and cable box, but I have no clue of how to get it to Channel 3 to synch with my TV set on Channel 3. All I see is a L1 and a L2 on the panel which I’ve tried, but no picture on the TV.

2. I also cannot get the set to remain turned off either by pressing the Off button on the machine or via the remote. The set will briefly shut off and then turn on by itself and start with the 000000 repeatedly. It’s like it’s stuck in a loop.

Any suggestions…or should I just send it back? Thanks to you or anyone for any help. I really liked my old DMR-ES30.