DMR-ES35VS "No Disc"

vbimport

First thing, I am really disappointed with Circuit city. I bought this DMR-ES35VS open box, it appears to be DOA. Circuit City refuses to honor their warranty; they are only offering a refund, not an exchange like the sales receipt AND web site say they will do for new open box purchases. (see below)
For those of you who wouldn’t buy open box unless it was REALLY cheap, I agree. It was $119.97.

Anyway, this is what I get with all DVDs “No Disc” for manufactured and burned DVDs. I cannot find a firmware update for this unit, and theorize that someone tried to flash it with the wrong firmware and killed it. Is there any way to recover if this is the case? I can take it to a local authorized repair facility for a free repair, but if there’s an easy fix, I would love to get it going now, without the delay. (I guess I took a chance and should just be paitient, BUT… I don’t want to be! :doh: )

And, I believe that you should AVOID CIRCUITY CITY OPEN BOX “DEALS!” (It’s too bad they only support their warranty if it won’t cost them anything.)

Note: Here’s what the sales receipt reads:
"This product was a store display or a customer return that has been previously opened and may have been serviced to ensure your satisfaction. It carries the same warranty as a factory sealed item."

and, from their web site:

"If you’re not completely satisfied with a product, Circuit City will gladly exchange or refund the purchase within 30 days of the sale date, except as noted below."

and…

"There is no restocking fee for defective product returned in exchange for the exact same product, or for product originally purchased as Open Box.
For any exchange or refund, we need the original receipt or a record of the purchase in our system, and the product must be in its original condition, including the box, UPC bar code, packaging, and all accessories."

There is no other text re: open box, exchange limitations, etc.

Am I wrong for thinking they should exchange it for me?
I’m frustrated bt the same day DOA and ROTTEN customer service.

Sorry for my rant… :o

Are you expecting a new un-opened unit as a replacement? Does that seem fair? If they don’t have any other open-box units, refund is their only option.

You are getting your money back. End of problem.

Re: warranty, I must disagree, respectfully. The warranty specifically states it will be exchanged. They may keep everything except the drive and it satisfies the warranty. I didn’t write their policy, but I expect it to be honored.

[B]But all of this is off topic. Getting back to the actual problem…[/B]

This is really strange. It works, but [I]ONLY as follows[/I]:

After the unit is first turned on, it will not recognize DVDs. [B] [I]UNTIL[/I][/B] I play a VHS tape for a moment. After doing so, it recognizes the DVD with no difficulty. It will read all DVDs until the power is cycled, after which the issue re-occurs. :confused:

Is this an issue that has been encountered elsewhere, and if so, has anyone resolved it?

Is there a firmware update for this unit?

[I]Bump[/I]

After the unit is first turned on, it will not recognize DVDs. [B]UNTIL[/B] I play a VHS tape for a moment. After doing so, it recognizes the DVD with no difficulty. It will read all DVDs until the power is cycled, after which the issue re-occurs.

Is this an issue that has been encountered elsewhere, and if so, has anyone resolved it?

Panasonic has updated firmware dated the 2nd May '06 for this DVD recorder, so this would be worth giving a try. The firmware is available on this link. Unfortunately, Panasonic mention little about what’s improved in this firmware other than allowing the remote to operate the unit should it stop responding.

I also find it necessary to play a VHS tape or a DVD for a few seconds for the DMR-ES35V to implement its presence in my system. This must be a common characteristic of the DMR-ES35V.

I installed the latest firmware update on 6/1/2007. This update did not correct the problem.

On my older Toshiba VCRs, both perhaps a decade old, the remote has a TV/VCR button that has to be pressed after powering up in order to implement the VCR’s operational presence.

The TV/VIDEO button on the DMR-ES35V remote seems not to function in the same manner as those on my Toshiba VCRs.

Another method to implement control is to press the SCHEDULE button.