DMR-ES20 Won't Read Disc After Recording

Hopefully someone can help me!

I have a Panasonic DMR-ES20, and I bought a package of SONY DVD+R discs to record with. I put the disc in, it read the disc, and I recorded. Then, once the recording was done, I hit play and it says

“Cannot read. Please check the disc”

I tried ejecting the CD and putting it back in, it made some weird scratching sounds while trying to read the disc and delivered the same error message.

I thought maybe it was just that disc, but I tried it with a few others in the package. They go in fine, read fine, then record fine, but when I try to playback, I get the error (and no scratching sound).

I have a Verbatim DVD+R disc that I tried recording, and it played back fine.

Any help with my Sony DVD+R discs???

Thanks in advance!

If you haven’t already cleaned the spindle on your '05 Panny I would give that a shot first. Spindles should be cleaned yearly and can cause problems like you’ve described. Here’s a link to a thread talking about it.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

Thanks, I will try cleaning the spindle.

I would of normally thought that was the problem, but since it’s only doing that with the Sony discs I just bought, I thought it might be something else.

Will clean the spindle and report back! Thanks for the reply.

When the spindle gets dirty the recorder acts very odd. Rejecting some brands/types and seeming to work well with others. The only thing I can think of is some discs cause more friction on the spindle(and therefor won’t slip as bad) or maybe some discs are a fraction of a inch thicker and that thickness makes the spindle hold the disc just a little tighter. Either way good luck with your cleaning.
Note a easy test to see if it is the spindle causing your problem is to moisten your index finger with saliva and then gently rub your finger around the bottom innermost clear part of the disc. Then immediately insert the disc in the machine and try again. The slight bit of moisture will cause just enough friction to grip the disc and the disc should work, that is if the spindle is the problem.

[QUOTE=january5521;2212206]Hopefully someone can help me!

I have a Panasonic DMR-ES20, and I bought a package of SONY DVD+R discs to record with. I put the disc in, it read the disc, and I recorded. Then, once the recording was done, I hit play and it says

“Cannot read. Please check the disc”

I tried ejecting the CD and putting it back in, it made some weird scratching sounds while trying to read the disc and delivered the same error message.

I thought maybe it was just that disc, but I tried it with a few others in the package. They go in fine, read fine, then record fine, but when I try to playback, I get the error (and no scratching sound).

I have a Verbatim DVD+R disc that I tried recording, and it played back fine.

Any help with my Sony DVD+R discs???

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

There are issues here.

The DMR-ES20 is a 2005 model. Panasonic’s 2005 models do not support DVD+R or DVD+RW media, see the DMR-ES20 Operating Instructions at page four. You may use DVD-R or DVD-RAM discs. There may also be a list of approved media appearing on the top or front of the DMR-ES20. DVD+R media will not be found among the approved formats.

Will you be able to record on DVD+R media? Perhaps, sometimes. But you may also notice a squealing noise that you don’t hear when you record with the approved DVD-R or DVD-RAM discs.

My suggestion–do not even attempt to use DVD+R media with any 2005 model Panasonic. The year of manufacture is indicated by the first number appearing in a Panasonic serial number. The letter following the first number indicates the month of manufacture, so 5A=January 2005, 5B=February 2005, 5C=March 2005, and so on.

The DVD Forum first recognized the DVD+R format on 25 January 2008.

Cleaning the DVD Drive’s rubber hub mounted atop the spindle should improve performance for discs that are approved for use in the DMR-ES20.

^^^ interesting. My '05 ES-30v is able to burn everything EXCEPT +RWs. I think '04 Pannys would burn -R, RAMs and maybe -RWs. and '03 Pannys would only burn RAMs and -Rs(I could be wrong but I know my ES-30v will burn +Rs and not +RWs). Note I really don’t use + discs at all in my Pannys but at first I used a few +Rs and other than weird search speeds before the disc was finalized they seemed OK.
The - format is more native to Panasonic and I’d only use + discs if I was trying to get rid of them.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2212746]^^^ interesting. My '05 ES-30v is able to burn everything EXCEPT +RWs. I think '04 Pannys would burn -R, RAMs and maybe -RWs. and '03 Pannys would only burn RAMs and -Rs(I could be wrong but I know my ES-30v will burn +Rs and not +RWs). Note I really don’t use + discs at all in my Pannys but at first I used a few +Rs and other than weird search speeds before the disc was finalized they seemed OK.
The - format is more native to Panasonic and I’d only use + discs if I was trying to get rid of them.[/QUOTE]

I believe that the 3330 laser assembly in 2005 and older Panasonics was designed for use with DVD-R and DVD-RAM media. DVD+R media, of any type, drives the laser beyond its design specification.

One poster at the TCM Message Board reported operational difficulties of several months duration with his DMR-ES30V that had been used with DVD+R discs. After a visit to the Panasonic Service Center in Illinois (coming back with media advice) the poster reported that the machine functioned normally. I made the same mistake with DVD+R media with my first DMR-ES30V when I purchased a spindle of DVD+R discs. That DMR-ES30V was the only one of my Panasonics that required a DVD Drive replacement, under warranty, at the Panasonic Service Center in Illinois.

With regular rubber hub cleanings and use of quality DVD-R media I have had reliable performance from ten of my 2005/2006 ES series Panasonics. (I don’t count the inferior DMR-ES40V, purchased new in 12/05 or the two “as-is” parts machines purchased in the summer of 2007 among the “reliable” ES series Panasonics.)

DigaDo - thanks for your reply. I wasn’t aware that it wasn’t approved media. As I have used a couple different brands of DVD+R discs on my ES20, and this is the first time I’ve had trouble.

Like I said, I have a Verbatim DVD+R disc that I tried recording after my trouble with the Sony discs, and it played back fine after recording.

Before reading this forum, I never really paid attention to the + or - discs… I would just buy a pack and if it worked, great, and it always has for the last 3 years, until now.

jjeff - thanks for your replies as well, haven’t made it home yet to test out the cleaning.

[quote=DigaDo;2212738]There are issues here.

The DMR-ES20 is a 2005 model. Panasonic’s 2005 models do not support DVD+R or DVD+RW media, see the DMR-ES20 Operating Instructions at page four. You may use DVD-R or DVD-RAM discs. There may also be a list of approved media appearing on the top or front of the DMR-ES20. DVD+R media will not be found among the approved formats.
[/quote]
Digado, I’m not disagreeing with you about the merits of + media in Pannys. Other than a 25 pack spindle of Philips +R discs I bought early on I haven’t really used them since on any of my Pannys and knock on wood have never had a laser/DVD failure other than cleaning the spindle. But if you look on the front of one of your ES-30V’s on the part that flips down when you insert a disc it clearly says RAM, -R, -RW and +R(at least mine do). So that tells me +R is a supported media. We might know better but someone just looking at that sticker wouldn’t know that.
By '06 Panasonics supported all media types including DL discs.
Note I only had a ES-20 for a short period of time and probably didn’t try +R discs in it but the quote you gave from page four almost sounds like a 2004 model instead of a 2005? I wonder if the ES-20 spanned 2 years and some were based on '04 RAM, -R only and some on '05 everything but +RW:confused:

Jeff,

Thanks for calling my attention to the differences between the DMR-ES20 and the DMR-ES30V.

The DMR-ES20 Operating Instructions mention that DVD+R media may be played on the ES20 if it has been recorded and finalized on another machine. DVD+R media is not approved for recording on a DMR-ES20. DVD+RW media is not mentioned, perhaps because it had not yet found its way into the marketplace when the design work on the ES20 was completed.

The DMR-ES30V Operating Instructions mention that DVD+R media may be recorded and played on the ES30 but DVD+RW media is not mentioned as approved for recording on a DMR-ES30V.

Beginning with the 2006 models all formats are “supported.” As many Panasonic users have found, Panasonics are “friendlier” toward DVD-R formats than DVD+R formats. It’s best to stick with a “friendlier” format than taking chances with “less friendly” formats, especially now with the proliferation of inferior 16X media in the marketplace.

Owners of older machines should make sure that they run the latest firmware updates to “work with” whatever good quality 16X media may still be in circulation.

It appears that high quality 8X media is starting to disappear from the marketplace. The time is now to buy whatever quality 8X media may be found before it’s gone.

While some recent computer DVD burners claim speeds up to 22X, I’ve yet to even hear of any HDD/DVD recorder capable of high speed dubs that exceed 8X. Wajo suggests that the Magnavox 2160 may have a DVD Drive rated/operating at 8X. Yes, my 2160 high speed dubs are “blazing fast” well, sort of, because the 2160 is much faster than my Philips 3575 or Magnavox 2080, but 8X? Well . . .

DigaDo

[

[QUOTE=jjeff;2212820]
By '06 Panasonics supported all media types including DL discs.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t recommend DL discs. The first time I tried to copy to one, my DVD-drive got corrupt and the laser assembly had to be replaced. Maybe it wasn’t the DL-discs but I will not try it again… Maybe it’s like Digado says about “friendliness” toward certain - and + discs and panasonic isn’t so friendly toward DL-discs?

[I]This is how it should look, don’t know what happened…[/I]:o

I also don’t use DL discs very much at all. Actually only a couple times. The thing I like about Pannys ('05 and on anyway) is you can push recording time on a SL disc to ~3hrs and still maintain full resolution. True you can go all the way to 4hrs but anything with fast movement really begins to macroblock at much over 3hrs.
Very few movies are in excess of 3hrs so the Pannys work very nice. On a side note I was at my local library today and they had the 1963 original Cleopatra. 4hrs and 8 minutes!!! Now that’s a case for DL discs if I ever saw one:bigsmile:
Digado, I didn’t realize the ES-20 lacked +R support. Shortly after buying my ES-30v in '05 I had second thoughts about the $400 price tag and I bought a ES-20 ~$100 less. I really didn’t like the operation of the ES-20 so I returned it. Even though I don’t really use +R discs I’m glad I kept the ES-30v instead of the ES-20. It’s almost like the ES-20 was based on a older design than the ES-30v. I wonder if the ES-20 has the 500 lines LP like the ES-30v does. I think the ES-30v was one of the first Pannys to get the extend resolution LP mode.