DMR-ES15 won't play store-bought DVDs

vbimport

Hoping someone can help me, new here to the forum.

I bought my ES15 about three weeks ago. Set it up as per instructions and everything seemed to be working OK.

I haven’t watched any DVDs in the last couple of weeks however when I went to watch a Harry Potter movie tonight, nothing happened. It took ages to READ the DVD and then after going to PLAY, nothing happened just a black screen. Remote didn’t work, pushing the stop or open/close didn’t work. Pressed the power button and after about two minutes it shut down.

So…tried playing FOUR other store-bought DVDs and the same thing happened every time! All the DVDs work in other machines (DVD player/ PC, etc.).

My wife recorded a show after the initial setup and it came out fine. I even played it tonight with no issues as per the store ones.

What is or could be the problem? Am I just unlucky with a faulty recorder or is there any ‘setup’ tip that I have missed (I really followed everything I was to do).

Any help is extremely appreciated as it is going back to the Big Box Store tomorrow if not resolved. Fortunately I am still under the 30 day return policy for no hassles.

I really like this Recorder (first one I’ve had) and would prefer to keep it if possible.

Thank you in advance.

gwsmith63

Would THIS be relevant to your situation?

Thanks CDan, but I don’t have the HD box. I’d read about that on another post but I only have the Explorer 8000.

I’ll try a few other things this morning. It may be an input issue (DV,IN1,etc.) I don’t know.

gwsmith63

Um, maybe it’s not a specific bug to the one Explorer box. Disconnecting it is an easy thing to do to check.