DMR-EH80V Squeak noises during DVD recording

When recording on to DVD, usually when I have a disc that already has something on it, or when I’m finishing off a disc (finalising) the DVD recorder makes awful squeaking noises, as though it needs oiling! It’s been doing this for a while now. It’s now reached the stage where it will not record properly and I cannot finalise discs or copy from the HDD to DVD in high speed mode (I only ever use this) without squeaks. It now refuses to finalise, rejecting the disc or not recognising it.

Thankfully, it’s still under warranty, but is there something I can do, or do I need to get in touch with Panasonic.

Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere… I did have a look and couldn’t find anything.

I just want to knwo if I am alone with this problem. My machine is the DMR-EH80V, which as VHS/HDD/DVD capability.

Many thanks.

Hey Roger,

I have the same machine DMR EH80V.

'Been using it for 3 years now, Lately theres been a problem where the moment I start Dubbing (HDD to DVD). Within a few minutes it gives an error and says ‘press enter’. Goes into self check and ofcourse reccording stops.

Iam tearing my hair tryin to figure out whats gone wrong !! Worse I dont think my machine is under Warranty after 3 years! Even worse I live in a city where none of the Panasonic service centres have the capability to troubleshoot problems associated with DVD Recorders.

Re: DMR-EH80V Squeak noises during DVD recording

Hey Roger,

I have the same machine DMR EH80V.

'Been using it for 3 years now, Lately theres been a problem where the moment I start Dubbing (HDD to DVD). Within a few minutes it gives an error and says ‘press enter’. Goes into self check and ofcourse reccording stops.

Iam tearing my hair tryin to figure out whats gone wrong !! Worse I dont think my machine is under Warranty after 3 years! Even worse I live in a city where none of the Panasonic service centres have the capability to troubleshoot problems associated with DVD Recorders.

Anyone Got any solutions?

Many Thanks…

99% sure the problem you’re having is due to a dirty spindle. Personally I’d describe the sound more as a grinding than squeaking but the other descriptions sure sound like a dirty spindle.
The easiest way to check for a slipping spindle is to moisten your finger with saliva and then lightly coat the bottom clear part of your disc. Only the clear part near the center of the disc. Reinsert the disc and see if the noise goes away.
Just a light film of saliva seems to work and I believe it provides just enough grip so the rubber spindle of the drive can grab the disc. If this works then the best solution is to take the machine apart and clean the rubber spindle with some iso alcohol or tape head cleaner. Here’s the original link talking about spindle cleaning on Panny DVDRs, compliments of the St.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

Following the cleaning of the hub, spindle, lens and related parts it is very important to position the roller/slider mechanism to the far left at the rear of the disc tray before refitting the DVD drive lid. This is necessary to properly align the roller to the guide rail on the underside of the DVD drive lid.

If a combo recorder’s front panel is removed be sure to hold the VHS door open as it is being fitted back to the case. This is necessary to properly align the VHS door lifting mechanism.