DMR-EH75V: Which digital to analog converter?

vbimport

Greetings,
I have a DMR-EH75V and it’s been working great over the last 19 months using a roof-top antenna as the signal source. However, we have recently received our coupons for a digital to analog converter. I’ve spent some time researching various converters on the web and would greatly appreciate any feedback on which converter would work best with this Panasonic unit. Many of them have an on-screen programming guide which I guess is probably similar to the TV-Guide system that the Panasonic uses. However, it would be great to get a converter box to work with the recorder using the IR blaster so that I can schedule recordings directly from the Panasonic’s TV-Guide much in the same way that one would use it with a cable box. Is this possible? If so, which converter box would work best with DMR-EH75V?

Thanks, Benthon

This fellow had luck with the Zenith/Insignia CECB. He was able to control it with his 75v.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=13828379#post13828379

Thanks for the link. That was an informative thread to read. I’m now considering the Channel Master CM-7000 D2A since it’s the only one I’ve seen so far that has an S-video output while still eligible for the coupon discount. Channel Master also lists the universal remote code as being compatible with a Pioneer cable box. These options sound like it might be able to work well with the EH75V. With this configuration, I would need to get a splitter so that my Sony HDTV will still be able to get HD signals from the rooftop antenna since the Channel Master CM-7000 has an RF Modulator. I’ve read that the best splitters are the ones with gold plated connectors but I was wondering if there’s a certain brand that is known for having a better signal throughput than the others?

By the way, any feedback on the CM-7000 would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks again, Benthon

Actually I just bought the CM-7000 today. I also have the Zenith CECB. I haven’t had time to write up my review for AVS yet but since you asked I’ll give you a preview.
Long story short I did notice a real improvement using the CM via S-video to my Panasonic ES-30. The Zenith and CM were equal if using the composite of both. Where the CM excelled was using the S-video. Text was easier to read and no dot crawl on colored areas.
I too wish both had the “passthru” feature but neither did. I opt for using a $6 splitter before the box. One side going to the box and the other to my HDTV. Personally I wouldn’t but a $1 store splitter although they may work OK for digital, I guess for the $5 difference I’d rather have something I didn’t have to worry about. I think the splitter I got was a Philips. Monster also makes splitters although I think they would be closer to $10. I just wanted something better than a cheapo.
The CM box has the added benefit of a 12 hour EPG with descriptions while the Zenith only has Now/Next and program description of Now/Next.
Note my PQ ratings were done on my Panasonic LCD HDTV. When I hooked both boxes up to my Sony Wega SD CRT TV I really couldn’t tell any PQ difference between the boxes. Since I want the DVD’s to be best PQ for my HDTV I really like the CM box.
I’m still waiting for the Echostar TR-40(TVPal) CECB. That one is supposed to have a programmable event timer, but I really wish it would also have S-video but it won’t, it will have “passthru” though.
So far I’d say their is no “prefect” CECB. The CM is pretty good though.

Good thread and topic. I have a similar question.

Right now, I have a regular TV (not HD capable) that’s connected to a Directv box. Therefore, I won’t need one of those converter boxes, correct? The Directv box automatically converts the signal back to analog?

If this is true, will these Panasonic DVD recorders (eh75v & eh50s) still work okay? If not, and this becomes complicated with additional equipment required…this affects my decision on whether to purchase a new disc drive for my eh75 (total will be $450). I might actually decide to pass and build a PC with DVR compabilities, directly hooked up to the TV, then use authoring software (like Tsunami Pegasys) + DVD burner. I’m just not sure PCs are as reliable, as they do have tendencies to freeze/crash or run into other problems. Obviously not good if you are in the middle of recording a show and the PC decides to act funny and become unstable.

The flat-rate repair at the corporate Panasonic Service Center in Illinois is $130, including shipping both ways. See that information in the other thread.

The corporate Panasonic Service Center in Illinois replaced the DVD drive on my first DMR-ES30V (under warranty after eleven months of heavy use). The machine was returned to service within two weeks. I am located in Oregon.

Since you are using a STB nothing should change after Feb '09. I would strongly suggest you follow Digado’s advice. For $130 fixing your EH-75 is a no brainer. Many consider the EH-75 to be one of the best DVDRs ever made.

@Chick_Hearn
Whether you need a converter box with your Direct TV box depends on if you recieve all your local OTA channels from your Direct TV box.If you don’t then you will need a converter box to recieve them.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2084919]Since you are using a STB nothing should change after Feb '09. I would strongly suggest you follow Digado’s advice. For $130 fixing your EH-75 is a no brainer. Many consider the EH-75 to be one of the best DVDRs ever made.[/QUOTE]

My machine is out of warranty, unfortunately.

Ok i will send it to Panasonic for their honest evaluation. If it’s fixable for $130, without replacement parts, of course. But if they determine I will need a new DVD drive (which I still fear is the case), and it costs $350 extra, then it’s a whole different ballgame, and basically the same price as the local dealer anyway.

Thanks for your advice, all of you. I will call for RMA. I need to sharpen my packing skills also. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Chick_Hearn;2085069]Ok i will send it to Panasonic for their honest evaluation. If it’s fixable for $130, without replacement parts, of course. But if they determine I will need a new DVD drive (which I still fear is the case), and it costs $350 extra, then it’s a whole different ballgame.[/QUOTE]

Again, the flat-rate repair is $130. It may “cost” Panasonic $500 to repair your DMR-EH75 but whatever they do costs you just $130. That $130 flat-rate includes parts and labor and to and from shipping. If your Panasonic is out of warranty call the number for the Service Center directly at 1-888-439-2676. They will walk you through the flat-rate procedure.

Just tell them that the flat-rate repair is what you want. Another person made the [B]huge mistake [/B]of asking for an estimate. That is an “actual cost” approach that results in paying the actual parts costs and labor rate for everything involved in the repair. That is a very costly mistake. Again, the flat-rate is $130 including parts and labor, no matter what needs to be done.

I would suggest that you write out all your detailed observations concerning what is wrong so the Panasonic Service Center experts will know what to look for. Don’t tell them what your local “authorized” shop said was wrong (the “authorized” shop may have overlooked something vital and if you just say “it needs this part,” the Service Center may replace that part and send it back). The Service Center needs to know what’s going wrong in your own words so they can find what needs to be done to return your machine to new condition. That’s a bargain at $130.

I noticed that you used the proper spelling of labour. Are you in Canada? If you are the flat rate may be somewhat different due to shipping rates. But I would not expect this to negate the great value of the flat-rate repair.

The other thread also shows the number to call for warranty service. That is a different department that issues the warranty-based RMA, but in either event (warranty or non-warranty) the repairs are performed at the Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove Village IL, close to Chicago’s Ohare airport.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2084919]Since you are using a STB nothing should change after Feb '09. I would strongly suggest you follow Digado’s advice. For $130 fixing your EH-75 is a no brainer. Many consider the EH-75 to be one of the best DVDRs ever made.[/QUOTE]

I sent mine back to Panasonic for repair- Rate is NOW $260.00

[QUOTE=richespo;2556946]I sent mine back to Panasonic for repair- Rate is NOW $260.00[/QUOTE]

There are newer threads with Panasonic repair information. At some point all hard drive equipped Panasonic recorder repair was consolidated at the Panasonic Service Center in Elgin Illinois. Recent policy changes have attempted to make the Panasonic facility in McAllen Texas the gateway to repair/exchange for Panasonic recorders. Those with Panasonic hard drive models should directly contact the Panasonic Elgin Illinois Service Center for current information. Contact information is provided in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657

If you called the [B]Panasonic Service Center in Elgin Illinois[/B] you should be getting the $130 flat rate repair.

If you called the Panasonic Customer Service number you will surely get mired in the [B]Panasonic McAllen Texas Wild Goose Chase[/B]. $260 is just the beginning. The McAllen Texas repair will be lots higher than $260.

The [B]McAllen Texas Horror Stories[/B] started around June 2009. There are workarounds for the [B]McAllen Texas Debacle.[/B] Examples are found in the above linked thread.