DMR-EH75V Stops 50% thru copy list

Recording from HDD to DVD-R via copy list (Advanced copy). Unit stops 55% to 65% thru copy list & won’t finalize. Copy list is only 1:15 hr long.Unit goes to U88 code & recovers disc, shuts down & restarts, only to leave me w/ about half of the copy list unformated. Called Panasonic support. They said it could be media.
(Using,Sony,Maxell,Memorex). They said they would also send me a firmware disc to update. Any suggestion or similar problems out there? Only getting 1 out of 4 or 5 discs copied success.

I use DVD-R discs from TDK, Maxell and Verbatim. I find perhaps one bad disc in every 400 blanks with these brands.

With the most recent spindle of Memorex DVD-R discs I found one bad disc in every six. These Memorex discs were used with several different Panasonics. When I switched back to TDK DVD-R discs the problems dissappeared. I no longer use Memorex discs.

DigaDo,
Were you having the same problem w/ the copylist as I am because of the discs? And did it go away w/ the TDK’s?

I don’t have a DMR-EH75V.

I was addressing the media situation. I have these Panasonic models: DMR-ES30V, DMR-ES40V, DMR-ES15, DMR-ES35V, DMR-EZ17.

Digado-Not to get OT, but have you had good luck with TDK’s? I purchased 2 100 spindle packs from Costco last week. They were $32 for both. I thought it was a great deal, but some of the people at AVS say TDK’s are no good. I’ve never used them and was thinking about returning them, but you say you’ve had good luck? Were your’s also 16X newer discs, or older ones.
Farmer, why don’t you try experimenting with some -RW discs to see how they work. At least that way it wouldn’t be a coaster, if things failed. -RW’s can always be reformatted and reused. Maybe you could find a pattern. I get my RW’s at Office Depot. On sale I think there only ~$8/25 discs. Not a whole lot more than some -R’s I’ve seen. I’ve had good luck with there OD brand, and Maxell’s work good also, but are a bit more expensive there and at Walmart.

Jeff,

I, too, bought 200 TDK discs for $32 at Costco a couple of weeks ago. I’ve just started using the first spindle of this most recent purchase. A few months back Costco offered the same deal. All 200 of those earlier TDKs have been used. My daughter also bought the the 200 TDKs then and now. I just finished a Maxell spindle of 100 and still have another 200 Maxell discs on hand. I purchased these at Office Depot. The Sunday papers usually have sales where 100 name-brand discs are priced less than $25. I have not had the opportunity to use Sony or Fuji. In 2005 I had one spindle of CompUsa discs (not good) and one spindle of Fry’s no name DVDs (seemed OK) but Fry’s is about 25 miles away. After the CompUsa experience I decided to stick with name brands. At first the Memorex brand seemed OK but during the spring of 2007 these became problematic so I have avoided Memorex since then.

Since mid 2006 all my purchases have been DVD-R discs, (labeled) 16X. Since I do not have a hard drive DVD recorder all my dubbing was done in real time. These faster (rated) DVDs are only necessry when copying a DVD on one of my two Dell Media Center computers–these have genuine NEC 3520 and 3550 DVD burners (not the later drives from OptiSony??? something). My daughter also has two Dell Media Center computers, one with a NEC 3550 and the other with a Philips 8801 DVD burner, I believe. I may have pulled her Philips and replaced it with a genuine NEC–I don’t remember.

I have found very few TDK or Maxell discs that I suspect are defective. I have had a few problems with a Panasonic DVD or combo recorder now and then but these problems (resulting in a failed disc) are not deemed to be a problem with disc quality. During the most active six month portion of my VHS to DVD dubbing project I was averaging around 130 finalized DVDs per month. At times I was running up to six Panasonics up to eighteen hours per day. Between TDK and Maxell DVDs there were perhaps two failed DVDs that might have been a disc quality problem, and four or five failed DVDs that were clearly due to a machine malfunction. While I did not use Verbatim discs during the dubbing project I had very good earlier experience with this brand.

I have not heard my daughter report any problem with TDK discs. She has also purchased Taiyo Yuden DVDs online, partly because of quality and partly because she sleeps during the opening hours of most retail stores.

Thanks, I feel better about the TDK’s now. It sure was a good price, but your right I think they had the same special many months ago. I’ve got so many discs now I really didn’t need them, and was not going to open them for probably several months. That’s why I was worried. If I started having problems with them, it would be too late to expect a return.
I had always had good luck with TDK video/audio tapes, and was surprised to hear bad things about there DVD’s. I too have had luck with just about any kind of media available(-R and -RW’s), but tend to stick with more of the big brand name media. Except for Office Depot brand, which I have very good luck with. I personally think Panasonics only begrudgingly record to + media and think - media is a better match.

Jeff,

Back in the videotape era Scotch and TDK were my favorite brands through the 1980s and into the late 1990s. I bought various grades and all were of very good quality. Around 1996 Costco started carrying Sony T-160 tapes. I bought many of these through around 2001. Of course I had purchased many other brands as well.

When it came to dubbing selected recordings to DVD I found the Sony T-160 (most of which had been recorded at EP) to be very difficult to track on all but one of my Panasonic combo recorders, the one that had a VHS drive that I had torn down and reassembled. I set up two decade-old Toshiba VCRs that could track these Sony tapes better and dubbed most of these problematic recordings in that manner.

Panasonic combo recorders had difficulty loading and ejecting perhaps one in every twenty TDK EHG videotape cases, but had little trouble loading and ejecting the lower line TDK cases. The Toshiba VCRs had no trouble with any TDK cases. TDK videotape was of the best quality and held up very well, even twenty years after the original recording.

It’s most likely a disc issue, although there’s a tiny chance there’s a flaw to the recorded program itself. Try using only the best quality discs. I know those brand names sound nice (TDK, Memorex, Sony, etc), but these days they are all MIT, and they just aren’t as good as the MIJ Taiyo Yudens. Also, I think these brand name spindles are actually more expensive.

The only DVD-R media I’ve used for my EH75vs are the Taiyo Yuden premium line discs, and those have never given me any problems during dubbing (for either of my machines - eh75 or eh50s). Actually for eh50s, I have used MIJ Fujifilms (those are just badged TY’s) and MIJ Maxells (a few of these have failed).

The eh75 errors I came across were totally random and inexplicable, and they involved the Verbatim +R DL discs (Singapore ones). These discs must be formatted before they can be dubbed to (takes 15-20 seconds). I tried to dub the 2006 French Open Men’s Final (over 3.5 hours), but it simply wouldn’t initialize.

I tried multiple discs (selecting @ random for a spindle) and got the same results. But these discs were still good for other recorded programs, interestingly enough (so they weren’t wasted). Then I actually took a chance and went with a generic DVD -R DL disc, and it dubbed/copied the match w/o a problem (although I noticed unusual clonking noises during intial phase…yikes). I used this solution for other programs of great length (sports/movies).

Now I will really bore readers. Later I was able to copy disc-to-disc from the -DL to +R DL Verbatim disc using a PC burner (bwu-100a), with the LF-D521U being the source drive.

Anyways, sometimes it could be the program itself (perhaps something goes wrong during commercial editing) that the disc or machine doesn’t like. But go with quality discs.

Here is advice concerning DVD drives that seem to be failing but just need a spindle/hub cleaning:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=210507

Following these detailed instructions clean the lens, rubber and plastic spindle parts and hub area, and the circular guide in the DVD drive lid.

Panasonic 2006 and newer DVD drives are easy to service. Remove the case top cover to get access to the DVD drive. Remove the four small Phillips screws and lift the DVD drive top lid. When viewing the DVD drive from the front (where the tray rolls out) notice the roller assembly at the rear of the DVD tray. This mechanism must be positioned to the left corner before reassembly so these parts will be correctly aligned to the guide rail on the underside of the drive lid. With the 2006 and newer models opening of the Panasonic case, removing the DVD drive lid, cleaning the drive, closing the drive lid, and closing the case takes around fifteen minutes.

With 2005 or older models the case cover and the front panel assembly may need to be removed in order to give clearance for the DVD drive lid to be lifted somewhat at the front, slid forward, allowing the rear to disengage, following which the lid may be lifted off. The opaque plastic part at the left rear seems to be a retainer/guide. Allow around 35 minutes for opening the case, removal of the front panel after loosening the snap clips at the top, sides and bottom; removing the DVD drive lid; cleaning and reassembly.

On a combo recorder be sure to hold the VHS door open as the front panel is fitted back into place. This will correctly align the VHS door lifting mechanism.

I have an older (2003) Panasonic DVD-S35 player where the DVD drive itself is of a more “open” design, but cleaning access to the rubber spindle is more difficult. Use a long-stemmed cotton swab.