DMR-EH75V & HDMI: Color problems

vbimport

I have a DMR-EH75V connected to a Sony KDL-32S2010 LCD TV. I recently connected the DVR to the TV with an HDMI cable. I had previously been using an S video cable. The quality of the picture is sharper with the 1080i upconverterd signal. However, now the color saturation is over blown (too intense); it was fine with the S video cable. I’ve gone through most of the settings on both the DVR and the TV but have yet to find anything that will correct the color saturation on the HDMI signal but leave the regular TV picture alone. Any suggestions for solving this problem with the HDMI color saturation problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Benthon

Not familiar with your TV but most TV’s allow separate adjustments for each input. Maybe you could try that. On some TVs only the CUSTOM adjustment stays different for each input, you’d have to try. Also I believe their are setting for the HDMI output on your DVDR. I have a ES-25 w/HDMI out and if I go into the FUNCTIONS, OTHER FUNCTIONS menu their are adjustments for changing settings about the HDMI output. If their is a adjustment for changing the BLACK LEVEL you might want to try those. In your case see if their is a LIGHTER setting. Sometimes if set too dark it gives the impression of oversaturate colors.

As posted, your TV should be remembering different settings for each input, or at least each type of input. You should be adjusting color, contrast and brightness for the different input, and I’d also recommend turning off any dynamic contrast or auto-anything type settings.

The HDMI digital input is giving you vastly improved color depth, saturation, contrast and brightness, all of which interact with each other. I use and recommend calibrating your monitor with one of the available calibration discs like DVE or Avia.

Good advice CDan. Another cheaper alternative(If you have the discs) is to look on some Disney Pixar DVDs. They have a THX optimizer setup part from the main menu. It gives handy color/brightness/contrast adjustment patterns. I use my Monsters Inc. DVD for just this purpose whenever I get a new TV. It makes a world of difference and is so much easier than trying to calibrate using live TV which can vary show to show. Also note that you need to calibrate each input of the TV. Settings can vary significantly input by input.

Thanks for the reply.

It’s a Sony Bravia manufactured in Sept. 2006.

…but most TV’s allow separate adjustments for each input. Maybe you could try that. On some TVs only the CUSTOM adjustment stays different for each input, you’d have to try.
Thanks for the suggestion. The TV does support setting custom adjustments for each input. I’m currently going through the settings to see if I can arrive at an acceptable outcome. The other poster’s suggestion of using a calibration disk sounds like a great idea and it’s something I’m going to looking into trying. I should be able to pick up a used Disney disk inexpensively at a 2nd hand store.

Also I believe their are setting for the HDMI output on your DVDR. I have a ES-25 w/HDMI out and if I go into the FUNCTIONS, OTHER FUNCTIONS menu their are adjustments for changing settings about the HDMI output. If their is a adjustment for changing the BLACK LEVEL you might want to try those. In your case see if their is a LIGHTER setting. Sometimes if set too dark it gives the impression of oversaturate colors.
Apparently, on the DMR-EH75V, there are three separate black level settings, one for each of the composite, s-video, and component video outputs, but not for the HDMI output. There is a separate RGB setting for the HDMI, but that is currently grayed out and is inaccessible at the moment. I haven’t yet figured out how to re-enable it. I haven’t given up though.

Thanks again, Benthon