DMR-EH55 - some questions

vbimport

Hi,

1. It’s a little strange, but Panasonic’s recorders are not multi-standard (tv - tuner). There are 4 or 5 versions of DMR-ES15 in the Europe. My ES15EG has a label at rear panel with the code of version (EG). Now I have EH55 (HD160GB) also, but there is no information about version. How to check it?
  2. Do You try to install firmware from one version to another? It’s possible to change menu languages this way? And what’s about not supported features (like a tv-audio systems)?
  3. How to normal-speed HD to DVD copy works? Does the recorder recode movie? If not - what is a difference between high-speed and normal-speed copy (except speed)?

Thank You in advance,

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2103587]Hi,

1. It’s a little strange, but Panasonic’s recorders are not multi-standard (tv - tuner). There are 4 or 5 versions of DMR-ES15 in the Europe. My ES15EG has a label at rear panel with the code of version (EG). Now I have EH55 (HD160GB) also, but there is no information about version. How to check it?
  2. Do You try to install firmware from one version to another? It’s possible to change menu languages this way? And what’s about not supported features (like a tv-audio systems)?
  3. How to normal-speed HD to DVD copy works? Does the recorder recode movie? If not - what is a difference between high-speed and normal-speed copy (except speed)?

Thank You in advance,[/QUOTE]

some answers for question #3:

In normal speed, it keeps the recorded program’s original aspect ratio. If you use high-speed, it only allows full screen. Strange quirk IMO.

In normal speed, the machine automatically sets chapters approximately every five minutes. In high speed, it keeps the chapters you have personally set while the program was on the hard drive. Of course if you did not set any chapters, there won’t be any chapters on the finalised product.

When using high-speed, it frees the machine up to record live TV simultaneously. In normal speed, you are stuck until the dubbing has finished.

In high-speed mode, you have approx. 2 hrs, 10 minutes of recording space (4409 MB, SP mode). In normal speed, you only have 2 hours.

I think this covers most of the vitals.

[QUOTE=AlKwas;2103587]Hi,

1. Do You try to install firmware from one version to another? It’s possible to change menu languages this way? And what’s about not supported features (like a tv-audio systems)?[/QUOTE]

As a rule do not use firmware from a different model than the one you own. Others have reported very unpleasant results when doing so.

[QUOTE=DigaDo;2103807]As a rule do not use firmware from a different model than the one you own. Others have reported very unpleasant results when doing so.[/QUOTE]
I bought the recorder second-hand. I have a problem with tv-audio system (picture is good but no sound, noise only). Maybe former owner did something with firmware? Some versions of the recorders are very similar with differences in tv-audio systems only.

Thank You for answer.

[QUOTE=Chick_Hearn;2103656]some answers for question #3:
In normal speed, it keeps the recorded program’s original aspect ratio. If you use high-speed, it only allows full screen. Strange quirk IMO.
[/QUOTE]
It’s very strange. The user manual is not comprehensible at this point. The are differences between media (RAM, +/-RW), too.

[QUOTE=Chick_Hearn;2103656]
In high-speed mode, you have approx. 2 hrs, 10 minutes of recording space (4409 MB, SP mode). In normal speed, you only have 2 hours.
[/QUOTE]
The data size in both cases differ or not (the same movie copied in high and normal-speed)? The video data are recoded (with quality decrease) in normal-speed copy?