DMR-EH50 won't power up

vbimport

My Panasonic DMR-EH50 has served me well all these years but sadly now it won’t power on. I mistakenly unplugged it and plugged it in when it was on. That seemed to kill it. The fuse inside is good and I don’t see any capacitors that are really bulging, indicating a fault. There are two of them that I might replace just in case. They seem to have a powdery substance on the top of them, possibly because they are leaking.

I saw a very nice video about a DMR-ES10 the power supply looks almost identical to what I have, but I don’t have a bulging ‘cap’ as this bloke did. http://montfordhouse.com/dvd-recorder-fix/

Is there any chance someone has a good PS board for my DMR-EH50 or on the off chance would Panasonic repair it if I sent it in? I have no idea how to contact them. The rest of the unit is fine, the DVD burner is still working and I know they aren’t made any more. So I’d like to keep it if it doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg to fix it. I’m not a big fan of paying more than something is worth to keep it. I know years ago I sent it in to them and it was $300 to get it back, but it did work.

Thanks in advance,

ES44AC

A local electronic shop should be able to test the capacitors and replace any that are no longer up to specification. If they are in doubt show them the video.

I own three North American specification DMR-EH50 models. Here is a photo of the power supply circuit board in one of my DMR-EH50 models:

Hi Vox,

Nice to know someone else likes this model as well as I do! I found a site on eBay that will rebuild your board so it works again… hopefully. I have it out and ready to send to them.

Thanks!

ES44AC

Hey Vox , I don’t know if something like this would work .
It would be free to try though.
Connect the unit unplugged to a known earth ground & let it set several hours.
In theory that could “bleed” off any stored electricity . (except from a battery if there is one in the circuit).

On the capacitors . I replaced 3 on my old IBM computer. These were known to cause a problem I was having with it. They were bulged but I had to look close to detect it as the bulge was very slight. That was 10 years ago & the old IBM doesn’t get booted often . I booted it a week or so ago & it was fine . Point is capacitors can look good & still be bad.

[QUOTE=cholla;2732369]Hey Vox , I don’t know if something like this would work .
It would be free to try though.
Connect the unit unplugged to a known earth ground & let it set several hours.
In theory that could “bleed” off any stored electricity . (except from a battery if there is one in the circuit).

On the capacitors . I replaced 3 on my old IBM computer. These were known to cause a problem I was having with it. They were bulged but I had to look close to detect it as the bulge was very slight. That was 10 years ago & the old IBM doesn’t get booted often . I booted it a week or so ago & it was fine . Point is capacitors can look good & still be bad.[/QUOTE]

The DMR-EH50 has a battery (a 2032 I believe) mounted at the left under the edge of the hard drive platform:

Do you think removing the battery for a period of time might reset the unit ?
Might combine that with the grounding.

[QUOTE=cholla;2732421]Do you think removing the battery for a period of time might reset the unit ?
Might combine that with the grounding.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know.

I don’t either. I thought since you have some of the units. The same situation may have happened to one of yours.
You always have nice images of electronics you have taken apart .

[QUOTE=VoxHumana;2732350]A local electronic shop should be able to test the capacitors and replace any that are no longer up to specification. If they are in doubt show them the video.

I own three North American specification DMR-EH50 models. Here is a photo of the power supply circuit board in one of my DMR-EH50 models:[/QUOTE]

I found a site on eBay that repairs just the P/S board for $59.99. They told me that that board is the cause of 99% of the not powering up problems among others. Just do a search on eBay for “DMR-EH50” and you’ll find the seller.

I took out the board and sent it in and had it back in less than a week. Put it in and its working fine!

Prior to sending it, I did replace 2 of the caps that looked like they were bulging a bit but I guess I didn’t find all the bad ones. I also took out the mother board and replaced one there as well, again that didn’t work. The battery on the board is still fine.

So I am back in business, just wanted you all to know what happened.

Thanks again

ES44AC